starting training after Covid or with post covid syndrome

listrahtes

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
As I tried numerous times to restart training after my Covid illness and failed I do go about it now in a more mindful way and, as part of my profession I do plan trainings ,I want to share my approach. Seems to work so maybe others can share their experience and how they go about getting back.

The problems with low level covid ilness is sometimes a prolonged state of fatigue and being out of breath all the time.In general the lungs seem to adapt much slower.

My first approach was just to go about it like after a flu. Did not work out at all for months. It was just too much training load that muscles, tendons etc could manage but not the cardiopulmonal part of my body.

1) The BOLT test has shown to be quite precise in sensitivity regarding post Covid syndrome. Take the test there are quite some descriptions on the internet.
https://oxygenadvantage.com/measure-bolt/

Covid patients often score <10seconds

Mine was 6seconds when I started. Thats your Retest to look how you improve

Focus on breathing and activate deep belly breathing as soon as you do sports and out of sports.
I use crocodile breathing and 90/90 breathing as a start or cooldown.

2) all sports activities are done with a so called "new breathing technique". Sorry its translated from scientificc articles in german. Its well researched "Leistungssport Strelzov 2004"

I use that also in boxing. rope jumping, shadow boxing...etc. If I am not able to breathe like that I stop sports as its too much.

I did a lot of sports with this before but now its my main focus and by that I am now able to slowly reenter sports.

onto the so called new breathing:
If we do not focus on breathing we just kind of change our frequency regarding the intensity of the workout. Reflexive breathing. In general one would think that is the most "natural" as we do it instinctively but we do it because once we moved with all 4 extremities. Animals like apes or tigers need to breath in sync with their speed because of the activation of upper trunk muscles in ground contact. We humans dont.

physiology behind it: We have close to optimal O2 saturation with a breath of ca. 1,6seconds. (0,6-0,8sec intake air) The haemoglobin is able to take up maximum amount of O2. If we breath faster we get the same amount of air into our lungs but less and less oxygen is taken up. Also more CO2 gets removed from lungs. So we want to stay close to that optimal oxygen intake to minimize anaerobic energy generation. Sports will get less demanding at the same intensity and your lungs are working much more efficient and are kind of better trained to get back into fuction. There are more beneficial factors but thats too much detail.

differences to "normal" breathing"
1) from the start breath consciously as deep as possible and keep a steady rythm.
2) breathing in is slow and deep and as the breathing out accompanied by activation of belly muscles.
3) When intensity gets higher (cadence in running) I do KEEP my deep breathing rythm. From studies with running athletes their breathing frequency is lowered at least by a third.

I do keep this in all sports activities. If I cant execute it I know I should stop. Helps a lot and as a nice side profit core muscle activation is much higher and general stress level reduced.

In the study they did the athletes did not only feel better even when they performed at their maximum capacity but they also performed better,. In running they gained close to 5seconds / km on average with a 1000m run.

Maybe this helps other affected by post covid syndrome and they can share their story.
For myself its night and day.

Last edited:
I am going to re-read this later and have a point by point response if I get the time.

You are up against it, posting this on Sherdog. This is a forum where half the people don't believe in Covid and half of the remainder, don't see it as anything other than a cold.

I have been lifelong fit and after "recovering" from it, it still took me approximately 9-10 months to feel mostly normal again with just my breathing. I am still a little shy of 100%, just about 1 year after recovery so I'll be interested in having a good sit down for this article.

@cagerageforever
I dont argue with people anymore who doubt it. But they should avoid the thread please. Thats what the war room is there for.
Seems we have a similar backstory. I am now 10months after Covid and only now starting running again. Before I did boxing and ran up to half marathons and was without much effort going sub 20min / 5km. Especially as a trained athlete you really feel the difference with Covid from any other illness.

I had Covid back in August... my primary illness was very mild, only had fever for one night and then I lost my sense of taste and smell. For about a month after recovering, I had significant everyday fatigue involving basic tasks.
Training after that took a hit from basic life demands + work etc, but attempts to do get back into shape were brutal. Work capacity was shot and overall recovery felt worse too.
It's been a few months now in the gym being consistent and finally feeling good but it wasn't an easy comeback.
I do power-builder type workouts, decent weight with decent volume and relatively short rest periods,( some sort of combination of starting-strength and Dave Lipson programming.) I know I've done the workout as needed when I finish and get a solid runner's high usually about 3/4 the way through. Took me about two months of working out 4-5x a week w/ a pretty high intensity before I could finish and feel good. It was a fucking drag and I felt like shit for a while. Now my workouts are good and I'm feeling mostly myself...

anyway, keep at it even if it sucks and you'll break the shit wall at some point and come back to yourself, just gotta keep moving forward.

I'll come back tomorrow and try to read and post more.

All I can say right now is Covid really messed me up. I'm 35 and I ended up with a 9 day hospital stay, had to be on forced oxygen at 60 L, developed double lung infection, lost 35 lbs, and developed multiple heart issues including tachycardia. I honestly thought that I was going to die in that hospital bed.

I'll come back tomorrow and try to read and post more.

All I can say right now is Covid really messed me up. I'm 35 and I ended up with a 9 day hospital stay, had to be on forced oxygen at 60 L, developed double lung infection, lost 35 lbs, and developed multiple heart issues including tachycardia. I honestly thought that I was going to die in that hospital bed.
Holy shit, dude. Glad to hear you're (kind of) okay.

Thanks Jim. I spent the day at the doctors office yesterday with the Pulmonologist and the Cardiologist. The pulmonologist said my lungs have basically made a full recovery. The cardiologist wants to do a heart cath ASAP. I had zero known heart issues before Covid, but now I have tachycardia and my left ventricle is only pumping at 40-45%. He also said there's some clear evidence that my heart was inflammed from Covid.

It's not near as important but I'm also still super weak which just really sucks. I lost 38 lbs in 6 weeks (20lbs in the 9 days I was in the hospital.) I can't even do a single push up right now.

"The group treating this mechanism utilizes:
Nicotinic acid aka Niacin (most important and not nicotinamide or other forms) — 100mg
Vitamin C aka Ascorbic Acid — 1500mg
Vitamin D — 3000iu
Zinc — 15mg
Selenium — 50mcg
Quercetin — 500mg
"
https://nkalex.medium.com/the-team-...o-seem-to-have-solved-long-covid-5f9852f1101d

I don't take exact protocol but my own version

Vic C 1-3g
Vit D 4-10kIU
Niacin 1g
Zinc 25mg
Pterostilbene 200mg+20mg quercetin(one supp)
Fisetin 100-200mg
D Ribose 5g--- (could be good for your heart issues)
Micronized Creatine 3-5g
Multi

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. I spent the day at the doctors office yesterday with the Pulmonologist and the Cardiologist. The pulmonologist said my lungs have basically made a full recovery. The cardiologist wants to do a heart cath ASAP. I had zero known heart issues before Covid, but now I have tachycardia and my left ventricle is only pumping at 40-45%. He also said there's some clear evidence that my heart was inflammed from Covid.

It's not near as important but I'm also still super weak which just really sucks. I lost 38 lbs in 6 weeks (20lbs in the 9 days I was in the hospital.) I can't even do a single push up right now.
Best of luck on full recovery. Hopefully, they can get you feeling normal to lower stress

I am feeling it post Covid, I am not as bad as most people, but I just do not feel 100%.

I also feel myself getting more fatigued, cramps, muscle aches, DOM's etc.

I think we need to focus on building up slowly, eating clean and taking supps to keep your levels up

Anyone who hasn't tried, give Thymalin or Thymulin a try to get over lingering c19 symptoms. Obviously talk it over with a doctor.

There are both pills as well as injectable courses.

Thread just became more interesting. Started showing symptoms last Wed or Thurs; non stop cough, body ache, headache that lasted 6 days. Cough cranked up causing pain in chest and heart. Couldn't get out of bed, oxygen dropped into 80s, won a trip to ER for pneumonia. Put on some IV cocktail and sent home with steroids. 24 hours later, feel much better and can walk around. But lungs are beat, can't carry clothes to laundry without getting winded. Was 198lbs, got on Dr scale yesterday at 185.
Will track recovery, lifting and cardio. (may be weeks before starting back)
From last workouts before crashing
Resting HR was upper 40s, now its in upper 70s
ZDLxMl2.jpg

Workouts were intense. Tried to keep them around an hour so it was steady pace and heavy weights.
X6U6BXO.jpg

Thread just became more interesting. Started showing symptoms last Wed or Thurs; non stop cough, body ache, headache that lasted 6 days. Cough cranked up causing pain in chest and heart. Couldn't get out of bed, oxygen dropped into 80s, won a trip to ER for pneumonia. Put on some IV cocktail and sent home with steroids. 24 hours later, feel much better and can walk around. But lungs are beat, can't carry clothes to laundry without getting winded. Was 198lbs, got on Dr scale yesterday at 185.
Will track recovery, lifting and cardio. (may be weeks before starting back)
From last workouts before crashing
Resting HR was upper 40s, now its in upper 70s
ZDLxMl2.jpg

Workouts were intense. Tried to keep them around an hour so it was steady pace and heavy weights.
X6U6BXO.jpg

Were you vaccinated?

Nadda. Not against it. Not to derail the thread on that topic.

Yeah man no worries, not trying to get political or philosophical here. I'm just curious if you were a breakthrough case or an unvaccinated case. I figure it's worth asking so maybe we can compare the severity of symptoms between the two and the course of recovery for very active people.

Yeah man no worries, not trying to get political or philosophical here. I'm just curious if you were a breakthrough case or an unvaccinated case. I figure it's worth asking so maybe we can compare the severity of symptoms between the two and the course of recovery for very active people.
I banked on my healthy lifestyle and strong immunity to be a good shield. The shit walked right in my front door, she brought it home from her job.
Eat clean, take daily vitamins (no gear), 6 day a week workouts mixed with strongman/HITT/plyo/Tabata, don't smoke, don't drink. And it knocked me on my ass.

I banked on my healthy lifestyle and strong immunity to be a good shield. The shit walked right in my front door, she brought it home from her job.
Eat clean, take daily vitamins (no gear), 6 day a week workouts mixed with strongman/HITT/plyo/Tabata, don't smoke, don't drink. And it knocked me on my ass.

Sucks man, I'm sorry that happened to you. How's your lady doing?

Sucks man, I'm sorry that happened to you. How's your lady doing?
She's recovered and back at work, feels back to normal. My sister (next door) got it and recovered in the week.
Have a male cousin and 2 male co-workers in hospital right now. In the infusion room for IV, 8 out 8 patients that came in while I was in there were men. This new crap seems to hit males with violence.

Back