starting training after Covid or with post covid syndrome

She's recovered and back at work, feels back to normal. My sister (next door) got it and recovered in the week.
Have a male cousin and 2 male co-workers in hospital right now. In the infusion room for IV, 8 out 8 patients that came in while I was in there were men. This new crap seems to hit males with violence.

I work in senior living facilities and skilled nursing facilities, I've kinda noticed since the beginning of the pandemic the men who got it ended up worse off than most of the women. One of the female residents I spoke with said the same thing. Just an anecdote but there may be something to it.

Thread just became more interesting. Started showing symptoms last Wed or Thurs; non stop cough, body ache, headache that lasted 6 days. Cough cranked up causing pain in chest and heart. Couldn't get out of bed, oxygen dropped into 80s, won a trip to ER for pneumonia. Put on some IV cocktail and sent home with steroids. 24 hours later, feel much better and can walk around. But lungs are beat, can't carry clothes to laundry without getting winded. Was 198lbs, got on Dr scale yesterday at 185.
Will track recovery, lifting and cardio. (may be weeks before starting back)
From last workouts before crashing
Resting HR was upper 40s, now its in upper 70s
ZDLxMl2.jpg

Workouts were intense. Tried to keep them around an hour so it was steady pace and heavy weights.
X6U6BXO.jpg
I wasn't taking Covid seriously but hearing a first hand account of how much ass it sucks has opened my eyes. Heal up, dude.

I'll come back tomorrow and try to read and post more.

All I can say right now is Covid really messed me up. I'm 35 and I ended up with a 9 day hospital stay, had to be on forced oxygen at 60 L, developed double lung infection, lost 35 lbs, and developed multiple heart issues including tachycardia. I honestly thought that I was going to die in that hospital bed.

Suuucks. I got it badly too- I had to be medically evacuated (in an air ambulance) from West Africa. 5-6 days in ICU in the UK and another 6 in a general respiratory ward (after being in a clinic for 5 days in West Africa- that wasn't that much fun). At the worst I was on high-pressure oxygen at the maximum output and it was dicey whether they were going to put me on a ventilator. It went after my heart first, then breathing, then lungs, liver and kidneys. The heart thing went away quite quickly, and kidneys also cleared up. I guess I got the standard COVID pneumonia thing- all the congestion and scarring that takes months to clear up. I think I got off lighter than you did- I was a complete mess for the first 3 weeks out of hospital but after that everything just got much better day by day, and my cardio actually isn't that bad now. Just got all clear on the liver and there doesn't seem to be any other issues.

As I tried numerous times to restart training after my Covid illness and failed I do go about it now in a more mindful way and, as part of my profession I do plan trainings ,I want to share my approach. Seems to work so maybe others can share their experience and how they go about getting back.

A lot to take in here, but I think I understand.

I am recovering from severe COVID (I was in an ICU) and as part my recovery I learned to do 'diaphragm breathing'- breathing by expanding the abdomen and expanding the diaphragm, rather than breathing with the chest. I found this really helpful for my breathing exercises and also for my conditioning/recovery work. I started doing it when I was doing 20m laps round the garden, and carried it forward to my regular walks up the hill and more recently to jogging. It seems to be the best way to maintain oxygen, or to get my breath back when I am gassed. I also found, when I put on the oxymeter, that this breathing method was the quickest way to get my saturation up.

This seems consistent with what you are saying.

I didn't mention this when I first heard Jaunty's experience with COVID (fucking shocking, very, very glad you lived to tell the tale @JauntyAngle - I hope your recovery is going well) as I don't tend to 'share' much.

My wife has "long-COVID" and it's awful. She's bed bound, has frequent blackouts, and struggles to make the 10ft from the bedroom to the bathroom. Her situation is a bit different though as she's had ME/CFS/Fibromyalgia (and most likely Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome) for close to 20 years now. Since contracting (suspected, pre-mass testing) C19 in Spring 2020 all her symptoms have been accentuated, plus she has a tight chest, cough, and frequent breathlessness.
EDS, and COVIDs respiratory specific aspects aside, my suspicion is that all of these (chronic - i.e Long COVID etc.) conditions are rooted in the same thing - maybe something related to an individual's immune system and microbiome going out of whack in a particular way.

What @wufabufa said seems to tally with my anecdotal observations too, men do seem to be hit harder and/or more commonly with severe/long COVID (which is in contrast to my wife's other conditions). This makes we wonder about insulin resistance/sensitivity being a factor. If it were me I'd definitely focus on diet e.g. minimising refined/processed seed oils and grains, eating whole foods including organ meats, and including fermented foods like kefir and kimchi etc.
Also continuning to exercise as and when you're able to.

All the best @listrahtes, @Fahcough and @JauntyAngle (and anyone else suffering), I sincerely hope you're all back to 100% soon.

Last edited:
A lot to take in here, but I think I understand.

I am recovering from severe COVID (I was in an ICU) and as part my recovery I learned to do 'diaphragm breathing'- breathing by expanding the abdomen and expanding the diaphragm, rather than breathing with the chest. I found this really helpful for my breathing exercises and also for my conditioning/recovery work. I started doing it when I was doing 20m laps round the garden, and carried it forward to my regular walks up the hill and more recently to jogging. It seems to be the best way to maintain oxygen, or to get my breath back when I am gassed. I also found, when I put on the oxymeter, that this breathing method was the quickest way to get my saturation up.

This seems consistent with what you are saying.
Here are links to the mentioned crocodile breathing and 90/90 breathing . Focus on them and then translate that to your daily life. Its a 24/7 change.

https://www.functionalmovement.com/Exercises/776/crocodile_breathing?jwsource=cl

https://www.functionalmovement.com/Exercises/802/90_90_breathing_position

Thats part of the articles I wrote about but in detail . Breathing while doing sports Its in german you have to translate:
https://www.greif.de/neue-atemtechnik-beim-laufen.html

annother short summary: https://www.greif.de/nl-neue-atemtechnik.html

Last edited:
I didn't mention this when I first heard Jaunty's experience with COVID (fucking shocking, very, very glad you lived to tell the tale @JauntyAngle - I hope your recovery is going well)

Thanks, man. It's going really well. I've progressed to jogging, and am up to being able to go for about 5 miles. Very very slowly, but I do it. I got the all clear on my liver, which is the only thing other than the "COVID changes" in my lungs.

My wife has "long-COVID" and it's awful.

That is *really* awful. Heart breaking. Wishing her and you strength.

Coming off of COVID just now. Still don't have full taste and smell back. Walking and running seemed to be ok, but noticed HITT work really kicks my butt. HR gets up much quicker thank before, and takes a little longer to come back down. Still getting tired, usual take a nap now when I get home from work. Never did that before. Just turned 52. My daughter was the first to have it, at 17, it was just an uncomfortable bump in the road. She is back 100%. Son, 12, who works out with me, is feeling the HIIT workouts like I am. He does have some history of asthma. Wife had it the least. She had a day of sneezing and then her taste went away. That is it. Crazy stuff.
Took the breathing test mentioned above and scored an 11.2 seconds. Will do it every day just to see how it changes over time.

Cheers

Bry

Just a random check in. It took 2 weeks to feel good enough to go back in gym. Lingering fatigue and brain fog. You don't feel yourself, mind is a constant confusion and slosh. Mentally had no interest in gym, because food tasted like ass and you just wanted to lay on couch for days.

Eased back into it with a few push ups, cable flies, band stretching, very low stress low impact. Gave body 2 days to make sure it didn't freak out. Felt good to sweat. Lungs responded well, no excessive breathing and recovery was slightly longer.

Added weights yesterday, 60% max with more reps and more rest. Def took longer to recover heart rate.
Resting rate is still higher than 46-50 range. Now it's 58-62 resting, probably from anxiety thinking will collapse not being able to breathe right.

One thing that is a pain in the ass, fn legs regressed back to virgin soreness. Few weeks, and them bitches tightened up and burn from body squats and crab walks. All part of weekly routine before, now they hurt like 1st day of squats in 5 years.

I hear you Fahcough.
I am on week three after getting tested. Workouts are going much better.
1 mile run is back to where it was before COVID.
Breath test is at 13.59 seconds now.
I still get really exhausted by the end of the day, eyes burn, headache.
Everyone else in family is normal.

Cheers

Bry

Yesterday was the first time that I went for a run and my lungs felt ok. Before that it was always with walking in between and very slow. Now I got enough oxygen and went with a 4.50min/km on a 6km run. Feels good.

I will continue with mostly low level intensity running at aerobic threshold most of the time and only go above if it feels right. Seems like running continues to be the most important aspect of my revovery.

To up this thread. Had to stop all sports again close after the last post half a year ago and to this day no sport possible. try to restart again this month and we will see. Well one thing is for sure. Long Covid is no joke.

best of luck in your recovery.
Have you caught it a 2nd time? Know plenty people on round 2

maybe something related to an individual's immune system and microbiome going out of whack in a particular way.

There appears to be a link between blood type and the severity of covid infection.

It would appear that the "second wave" reaction that some people have to covid may be the immune system having an allergic reaction to the the spike protein residue that accumulates in the lungs and other organs after the virus has died in the body.

Antihistamines are being trialled as a potential treatment for long covid

As I tried numerous times to restart training after my Covid illness and failed I do go about it now in a more mindful way and, as part of my profession I do plan trainings ,I want to share my approach. Seems to work so maybe others can share their experience and how they go about getting back.

The problems with low level covid ilness is sometimes a prolonged state of fatigue and being out of breath all the time.In general the lungs seem to adapt much slower.

My first approach was just to go about it like after a flu. Did not work out at all for months. It was just too much training load that muscles, tendons etc could manage but not the cardiopulmonal part of my body.

1) The BOLT test has shown to be quite precise in sensitivity regarding post Covid syndrome. Take the test there are quite some descriptions on the internet.
https://oxygenadvantage.com/measure-bolt/

Covid patients often score <10seconds

Mine was 6seconds when I started. Thats your Retest to look how you improve

Focus on breathing and activate deep belly breathing as soon as you do sports and out of sports.
I use crocodile breathing and 90/90 breathing as a start or cooldown.

2) all sports activities are done with a so called "new breathing technique". Sorry its translated from scientificc articles in german. Its well researched "Leistungssport Strelzov 2004"

I use that also in boxing. rope jumping, shadow boxing...etc. If I am not able to breathe like that I stop sports as its too much.

I did a lot of sports with this before but now its my main focus and by that I am now able to slowly reenter sports.

onto the so called new breathing:
If we do not focus on breathing we just kind of change our frequency regarding the intensity of the workout. Reflexive breathing. In general one would think that is the most "natural" as we do it instinctively but we do it because once we moved with all 4 extremities. Animals like apes or tigers need to breath in sync with their speed because of the activation of upper trunk muscles in ground contact. We humans dont.

physiology behind it: We have close to optimal O2 saturation with a breath of ca. 1,6seconds. (0,6-0,8sec intake air) The haemoglobin is able to take up maximum amount of O2. If we breath faster we get the same amount of air into our lungs but less and less oxygen is taken up. Also more CO2 gets removed from lungs. So we want to stay close to that optimal oxygen intake to minimize anaerobic energy generation. Sports will get less demanding at the same intensity and your lungs are working much more efficient and are kind of better trained to get back into fuction. There are more beneficial factors but thats too much detail.

differences to "normal" breathing"
1) from the start breath consciously as deep as possible and keep a steady rythm.
2) breathing in is slow and deep and as the breathing out accompanied by activation of belly muscles.
3) When intensity gets higher (cadence in running) I do KEEP my deep breathing rythm. From studies with running athletes their breathing frequency is lowered at least by a third.

I do keep this in all sports activities. If I cant execute it I know I should stop. Helps a lot and as a nice side profit core muscle activation is much higher and general stress level reduced.

In the study they did the athletes did not only feel better even when they performed at their maximum capacity but they also performed better,. In running they gained close to 5seconds / km on average with a 1000m run.

Maybe this helps other affected by post covid syndrome and they can share their story.
For myself its night and day.

Bumping because in the Jones thread you were a douche who wouldn't know rhetoric if it bit your nose off and called it a rhinoplasty.
But curious how your recovery has come.
I had it in June 2020, didn't get very sick, but lost smell, pain and weakness in hands, forearms, and jaw. Bit of brain fog. Terrible cardio. Got another dose in January 2022. Actually knocked it out with Ivermectin, no lingering effects.
I was concerned of lingering neurological effects, but I believe I've made a full recovery. I'd need to take an IQ test or retake the GRE etc. to compare my previous cognitive ability to my current (I think I've had some word finding issues and don't remember names as well), but overall I feel that I'm at relatively the same level as previously.

Back