Starting the hilarious grappling art of catch wrestling.

i think the useful stuff from catch has been added to bjj... and vise versa..

Submission grappling is all one in the same to me..

Im just looking for the tap.

What taps people in fights? The common shit.. not some super advance weird one handed chicken wing.

The regular old submissions everyone knows about.
Armlocks, Kimuras, Triangles, Heels hooks, knee bars, Guillotines, RNC, Brabo's, Anaconda's, NS choke, toe hold.. and a wrist lock here and there..

You seldom see anything else..so save your time searching, and just go practice.
Amen.

I have learned some catch wrestling from DVD's I have borrowed, and I actually was able to use some of the stuff I saw. I like it a lot, but they don't teach much about how to fight from the bottom.

I guess that's because back in the old days you could "pin for the win".

Wrestling + Judo = Catch

Don't say that to any die hard Catch nuthuggers. Or the ones that hang around the UG. They will go postal on your ass!

Though I still can't fathom how anybody can think BJJ and Judo are not the epitome of efficient. That one is beyond me. It seems when these people posting on here want to learn Catch, they think it's some uber deadly art that has super secret moves that nobody esle knows. If I learn Catch I'll learn how to apply the uber deadly Boston Crab!!!

Don't say that to any die hard Catch nuthuggers. Or the ones that hang around the UG. They will go postal on your ass!

Though I still can't fathom how anybody can think BJJ and Judo are not the epitome of efficient. That one is beyond me. It seems when these people posting on here want to learn Catch, they think it's some uber deadly art that has super secret moves that nobody esle knows. If I learn Catch I'll learn how to apply the uber deadly Boston Crab!!!
I personally believe wrestling + anything is the epitome of efficent, though I am a bit biased. :p

Wrestling + Ninjitsu FTW

I personally believe wrestling + anything is the epitome of efficent, though I am a bit biased. :p

Wrestling + Ninjitsu FTW

Judo and BJJ are forms of wrestling!

it seems like catch wrestling is submission then position

No. It is literally an old way of saying submission wrestling. Nowadays it is more marketing for former pro-wrestlers and former wrestlers who don't want to associate with BJJers for some reason.

I think that a little bit of everything is the epitome of efficent ;-)

You're a suckup! JKD is not a little bit of everything. IMO it is a lot of everything that works for you. A little doesn't help except for a little.

I love the hair pull in the video, "the reason i am hesitating is because...... well if he doesnt have hair your fucked!!" :)

I have always told guys I train that having long hair is a definite disadvantage. MMA/grappling is supposed to be reality based. I remember early cage fight events where there weren't so many restrictions, and guys with ponytails were getting grabbed by the hair and getting the crap beat out of them.

Aside from that, if you had learned a minimal amount of catch, particularly with Tony Cecchine, you would know that you could also hook the guy's nostrils or eyesockets with your fingers and that would make him expose his neck, too. Catch is very reality based.

I've always been wanting to do catch wrestling, the philosophy of doing the most brutal, effective technique to end a fight was just too appealing to me.

I also can appreciate the fact that catch wrestling is not pretty, it's not beautiful and flowing when two high skilled practitioners are rolling, it's brutal looking to me. It's appealing.

However, the problem is finding an instructor, i'm on the eastern edge of iowa, the problem is, the only people I can really think of atm, is Erik Paulson's CSW and Tony Cecchine...as cool as Cecchine's video are, there is always the problem of finding out people's credentials, real experience and teaching you things that aren't just "show holds" that actually work in a live, free rolling environment.

I've done judo, a bit of BJJ, but more often than not I felt that I wanted something more efficient, quick and most of all, emphasized ending an encounter as fast as possible.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated on my endeavor to find a good catch wrestling instructor.

Erik Paulson's and Tony Cecchines DVDs are good sources, and so are Mark Hatmakers. It is tough to find schools that incorporate a lot of Catchwrestling, so good luck finding some near you. Don't be afraid to ask at a BJJ school if they include catch or other forms of no-gi subs/techniques. There are more BJJ instructors adding to their knowledge and providing it in their classes.

If you have mats available and guys to train and practice with, you can learn a good deal outside of a regular school with decent training partners. I did that when I was going to BJJ schools. It added a lot to my game and my BJJ classmates named me "the catchwrestler" and could see what it added.

Boston crab is awesome. I caught somebody with it yesterday. Do not mock the crab! Best footlock finish in the business is the half Boston crab position.

I've always been wanting to do catch wrestling, the philosophy of doing the most brutal, effective technique to end a fight was just too appealing to me.

I also can appreciate the fact that catch wrestling is not pretty, it's not beautiful and flowing when two high skilled practitioners are rolling, it's brutal looking to me. It's appealing.

However, the problem is finding an instructor, i'm on the eastern edge of iowa, the problem is, the only people I can really think of atm, is Erik Paulson's CSW and Tony Cecchine...as cool as Cecchine's video are, there is always the problem of finding out people's credentials, real experience and teaching you things that aren't just "show holds" that actually work in a live, free rolling environment.

I've done judo, a bit of BJJ, but more often than not I felt that I wanted something more efficient, quick and most of all, emphasized ending an encounter as fast as possible.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated on my endeavor to find a good catch wrestling instructor.

does anybody really have good catch credentials? fujiwara probably has the best and he doesn't train anymore.

Erik Paulson's and Tony Cecchines DVDs are good sources, and so are Mark Hatmakers. It is tough to find schools that incorporate a lot of Catchwrestling, so good luck finding some near you. Don't be afraid to ask at a BJJ school if they include catch or other forms of no-gi subs/techniques. There are more BJJ instructors adding to their knowledge and providing it in their classes.

If you have mats available and guys to train and practice with, you can learn a good deal outside of a regular school with decent training partners. I did that when I was going to BJJ schools. It added a lot to my game and my BJJ classmates named me "the catchwrestler" and could see what it added.

if you want catch wrestling at least go to erik paulson, joss barnett, Billy robinson, and fujiwara. At least go to guys who have some kind of credibility.. what has mark hatmaker ever done or every produced?

Erik Paulson is a hyprid grappler. He is a Judo and BJJ BB with years of training in Shooto. You will certianly not be getting pure Catch from him, or anything close to it.

^^

Bingo. Paulson is not pure catch. I believe Josh Barnett teaches a catch class at his gym though.

Don't let all the crap that Jake Shannon started over Tony C's credibility stop you from using his stuff. Barnett and Paulson have both endorsed his stuff, he is legit.

I usually recommend his LAOH set for guys interested in catch, he does a good job of expaining the mechanics & fundamentals.

Catch-as-catch-can

I'll be starting catch wrestling soon. Always wanted to try it.

any places in san bernadino/orange county were they teach catch wrestling?

Am I the only catch wrestler on this board? I know there is at least one other guy.

Anyway, no we catch guys don't go for a sub out of position. How can you get a sub if you are not in position to apply one?
What we are good at is what I like to call sloppy subs. Example: If my opponent leaves a foot out I may sit on his ankle and pull up on his foot. Yeah, it's not asthetically pleasing...but it works like a charm.

As for fighting from my back, yes it is a weaker spot for me. Why? Because I am training for fighting, not tourneys. I don't want to be in a fight on my back. I know enough to throw subs from the bottom but I want to get on my feet or top position at least. I do train to escape like a champ though.

Back