Starting the hilarious grappling art of catch wrestling.

Voided_Warranty

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've always been wanting to do catch wrestling, the philosophy of doing the most brutal, effective technique to end a fight was just too appealing to me.

I also can appreciate the fact that catch wrestling is not pretty, it's not beautiful and flowing when two high skilled practitioners are rolling, it's brutal looking to me. It's appealing.

However, the problem is finding an instructor, i'm on the eastern edge of iowa, the problem is, the only people I can really think of atm, is Erik Paulson's CSW and Tony Cecchine...as cool as Cecchine's video are, there is always the problem of finding out people's credentials, real experience and teaching you things that aren't just "show holds" that actually work in a live, free rolling environment.

I've done judo, a bit of BJJ, but more often than not I felt that I wanted something more efficient, quick and most of all, emphasized ending an encounter as fast as possible.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated on my endeavor to find a good catch wrestling instructor.

See if you can find the ghost of Lou Thesz.

^I think bjj and judo is a better combo.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cGOdgka8QM0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cGOdgka8QM0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Catch wrestling is cool, but too much random stuff like this ^

If you have never wrestled Catch may be tough to learn

train with Erik Paulson. Catch + BJJ + Judo is better then BJJ + Judo.

I love the hair pull in the video, "the reason i am hesitating is because...... well if he doesnt have hair your fucked!!" :)

I've always been wanting to do catch wrestling, the philosophy of doing the most brutal, effective technique to end a fight was just too appealing to me.

I also can appreciate the fact that catch wrestling is not pretty, it's not beautiful and flowing when two high skilled practitioners are rolling, it's brutal looking to me. It's appealing.

However, the problem is finding an instructor, i'm on the eastern edge of iowa, the problem is, the only people I can really think of atm, is Erik Paulson's CSW and Tony Cecchine...as cool as Cecchine's video are, there is always the problem of finding out people's credentials, real experience and teaching you things that aren't just "show holds" that actually work in a live, free rolling environment.

I've done judo, a bit of BJJ, but more often than not I felt that I wanted something more efficient, quick and most of all, emphasized ending an encounter as fast as possible.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated on my endeavor to find a good catch wrestling instructor.

OMG!!! You're already sooooo wrong my friend!

Thta's not true at all. Catch is very technical too. When you watch 2 good catch guys, it's a chess game too. Using brute force? No way, better using technique, it's the same thing as Bjj. It's just that you have pressure point and a lot of crank.

Dont forget that catch was made for no-gi indeed. I'm doing mma for some times now and i first learned bjj (no-gi) and i added catch to my game for about 4 months now and it's very usefull.

Please, go watch Barnett vs big Nog 1 or 2, and tell me that Barnett is not using techniques...

Last thing, dont fall in the my style-is-better-than-yours trap. I would bet that some guys here who make comments about catch didnt even try it with a real instructor.

The more you know, the better you will be and you will find wich style is better to match YOUR strengh, style, physics ect...

I have learned some catch wrestling from DVD's I have borrowed, and I actually was able to use some of the stuff I saw. I like it a lot, but they don't teach much about how to fight from the bottom.

dvds are the way to go; and all styles of wrestling are cool.

the most superior style of grappling is the one taught at a place that is closest to where you live.

LMAO!! You don't get anymore efficient then Judo and BJJ. That's the underlying principle of both. The best and most highpercentage submission holds are taught in both of these. The basics are what wins fights.

I've been doing BJJ since the fall and I've never tried catch. Would I be correct in saying that catch wrestling doesn't have the emphasis on "position before submission" like BJJ has?

From what your writing about what sounds appealing to you , maybe you should give something like combat sambo a try instead ?

I train with the zombie corpse of Karl Gotch.

I train with Abraham Lincoln. Freed the slaves and was a catch wrestler too!

ghost of ed "strangler" lewis > ghost of thesz > ghost of gotch

And I train with the ghost of Rolls Gracie. He's got my jits game on point.

Wrestling + Judo = Catch

Learning both will give you a wide variety of holds, bars, pins, locks, throws, takedowns, etc.

I have learned some catch wrestling from DVD's I have borrowed, and I actually was able to use some of the stuff I saw. I like it a lot, but they don't teach much about how to fight from the bottom.

You're right, they avoid the bottom position or like some catch wrestler will call it : the whore position lol!!

Dont forget it's no gi. Judo, bjj came from gi, not catch. They will avoid bottom position, sometime at their own risks (giving your back) but it's munch more dynamics 'cause of that, you try to always be on top or side mount.

Like i say, there is some usefull things in catch, you have to be open minded.

i think the useful stuff from catch has been added to bjj... and vise versa..

Submission grappling is all one in the same to me..

Im just looking for the tap.

What taps people in fights? The common shit.. not some super advance weird one handed chicken wing.

The regular old submissions everyone knows about.
Armlocks, Kimuras, Triangles, Heels hooks, knee bars, Guillotines, RNC, Brabo's, Anaconda's, NS choke, toe hold.. and a wrist lock here and there..

You seldom see anything else..so save your time searching, and just go practice.

Back