Starting the hilarious grappling art of catch wrestling.

No point starting a Catch vs BJJ pissing match - ''my dad could beat up your dad'' and so on... :icon_chee It's been done.

If we could continue on with more posts like Josh's to help anyone who is interested in learning Catch, this would be good.

There is no denying BJJ re-introduced and redefined ground fighting.
They also mastered teh guard position, still to this day no style places as much focus, finesse and exectution in that position.

BUT to think that an art like catch could not help anyone interested in ground fighting is silly.

The attitude is dangerously close to what old time TMA's had when asked about fighting a grappler.

Obviously MMA in particular is trancending a particular style per se and those that are versed in multiple styles will have the best success. Catch is simply one more component to this.

The attitude is a little different if you know the limitations and specialization of your style. For example, I know BJJ is one of the most effectve and practical systems for ground fighting. It would be in my best interest to spend most of my time practicing BJJ for ground fighting. I could allocate 50% of my training time to catch pro wrestling like the open minded man has suggested, but it probably wouldn't be as effective as training BJJ for ground fighting purposes.

You've done 2 years of BJJ, yet you are still a white belt in it. You are obviously adept at BJJ basics right? I have no reason to do a pro catch wrestling class when I can focus on BJJ for my ground techniques.

Now it's interesting. So i want to be sure i understand you point well. You say that since i'm in the basics of bjj (2 years of no-gi) there is no need to do catch, since i dont have the basic of bjj ??

If it's your point, i can see some logic there, but i'm doing no-gi, maybe catch can teach me some basics too, with the no-gi in mind? Interesting point.

Very coo lthat Josh stopped by,

I like you even thou you beat two peole in my list :)

beating up old men :p

The attitude is a little different if you know the limitations and specialization of your style. For example, I know BJJ is one of the most effectve and practical systems for ground fighting. It would be in my best interest to spend most of my time practicing BJJ for ground fighting. I could allocate 50% of my training time to catch pro wrestling like the open minded man has suggested, but it probably wouldn't be as effective as training BJJ for ground fighting purposes.

Again, i can see your point and i dont desagree. Let me give you an example, something i dicover.

The first time i got to the catch class, i saw different people, all catchers no bjj guy. So here i am, 2 years of mma, not a bad dude on groud, ok cardio ect. We did some drill, learn 1 tech, drill again and the last 20 mins, it's time to roll a little bit.

I'm 5'9 190lbs, short legs, good balance (it must have some advantages to be small! ;-) ) Got matched with a 160lbs man. So i was thinking ' he better to be good' and we start to roll. The first thing i've noticed : He didnt react like i was used to, i was not supposed to be there, or make me think a lot more than i'm used too. He simply took me out of my normal game. After 3-4 months now, guy who i train with already see the diff in my game. Just little things, here and there, some positions, some tricks ect...

That make me think, it's not just catch, just the fact that i did go train elswere, probably add some things to my game too. New coach, new partners ect...

That's what i'm talking about beeing open minded, sorry if i insulted you, sometimes the words didnt came as right as if i was talking in french.

Have a nice day

Again, i can see your point and i dont desagree. Let me give you an example, something i dicover.

The first time i got to the catch class, i saw different people, all catchers no bjj guy. So here i am, 2 years of mma, not a bad dude on groud, ok cardio ect. We did some drill, learn 1 tech, drill again and the last 20 mins, it's time to roll a little bit.

I'm 5'9 190lbs, short legs, good balance (it must have some advantages to be small! ;-) ) Got matched with a 160lbs man. So i was thinking ' he better to be good' and we start to roll. The first thing i've noticed : He didnt react like i was used to, i was not supposed to be there, or make me think a lot more than i'm used too. He simply took me out of my normal game. After 3-4 months now, guy who i train with already see the diff in my game. Just little things, here and there, some positions, some tricks ect...

That make me think, it's not just catch, just the fact that i did go train elswere, probably add some things to my game too. New coach, new partners ect...

That's what i'm talking about beeing open minded, sorry if i insulted you, sometimes the words didnt came as right as if i was talking in french.

Have a nice day

That's a legit point, however you should try more grappling tournaments if you want this type of experience.

Don't let anyone dissuade you from what you want to do. Catch is an awesome art and capable of giving you all the tools necessary to submit, nay, DESTROY anyone!

Josh

I bet Frodo didn't see that one coming. :D

BTW, Josh on Inside MMA you said next time you fought Rizzo you were going to knock him out. I'd rather see a sick kneebar, but whatever you do I hope you don't abandon catch in favor of standing. I think this is what hurt Ken Shamrock over the years. It's like he forgot how to do a takedown and now he thinks he's the guy from Cinderella Man or something.

I like the whole Catch vs. BJJ thing. I like it because they are kinda the opposites of the same thing.
Catch guys are aggresive and push the pace, where as BJJ is submissive and more patient.
Catch is more top side, BJJ is more bottom based.

Both are yin and yang to each other.

Just a way to look at it.

I like the whole Catch vs. BJJ thing. I like it because they are kinda the opposites of the same thing.
Catch guys are aggresive and push the pace, where as BJJ is submissive and more patient.

True enough but the one major difference is you can be a nore top based BJJ'r but not so much a bottom based catch wrestler.

Certainly some will disagree but that is just my opinion.

That being said I firmly beleive any wrestling base is a good one, catch or otherwise.

That's a naive way of looking at both Catch and BJJ. Marcelo Garcia said if you are defending, then you are losing. That doesn't sound like a submissive or patient philosophy. Catch is top-based, but BJJ is not bottom-based. It is actually neutral, since it allows people to develop their guards instead of discriminating against it. You still get 3 points for passing the guard and only 2 for a sweep from it. BJJ is a form of wrestling too.

What's with people trolling me in this thread? When did I say catch sucked in this thread? The last seminar I attended was a (rather expensive) 5 hour Erik Paulson seminar, and I started training in his CSW system before I started at a BJJ school too. I asked Barnett what he didn't like about BJJ, but he refused to explain it back then. l don't honestly see much of a difference between CSW/catch and BJJ. If anything, BJJ has less of a standardized "everything" than CSW. So where did I say catch sucked? Why does everyone think I just do BJJ?

Judo is a legitimate combat sport. It's been proven effective.

Wrestling(Freestyle/Greco Roman/Folkstyle) is a legitimate combat sport. It's been proven to be effective.

Catch Wrestling is a legitimate combat sport. It's been proven to be effective.

BJJ is a legitimate combat sport. It's been proven to be effective.

Nothing else needs to be said. If you want to to be good at grappling, find a good grappling club and train there.

The rest all comes down to the instructor and the individual. Some people will never be great fighters no matter how much they train. I have seen this even at my BJJ club. There is one guy who is as skinny as a fishing rod and naturally very clumsy. He has been trying his hat at BJJ for over 2.5 years now and my instructor has no intention of grading him further. He just cannot get the whole grappling thing to work. Hip positioning and break balance are just lost on him.

Stop fighting over which style is more appropriate. There is no such thing. We all know what styles are effective and which ones are not. Just pick one you have access too and train hard.

That's a naive way of looking at both Catch and BJJ. Marcelo Garcia said if you are defending, then you are losing. That doesn't sound like a submissive or patient philosophy. Catch is top-based, but BJJ is not bottom-based. It is actually neutral, since it allows people to develop their guards instead of discriminating against it. You still get 3 points for passing the guard and only 2 for a sweep from it. BJJ is a form of wrestling too.

What's with people trolling me in this thread? When did I say catch sucked in this thread? The last seminar I attended was a (rather expensive) 5 hour Erik Paulson seminar, and I started training in his CSW system before I started at a BJJ school too. I asked Barnett what he didn't like about BJJ, but he refused to explain it back then. l don't honestly see much of a difference between CSW/catch and BJJ. If anything, BJJ has less of a standardized "everything" than CSW. So where did I say catch sucked? Why does everyone think I just do BJJ?

Status envy? BJJ is equivalated with Royce, Abu Dhabi, and the UFC. Catch is equivalated with the Hulkster and fake matches. It seems that more often than not, the few catch practicioners (and those who have a bunch of Tony Cecchine tapes and consider themselves catch wrestlers) get overly defensive about not being part of the BJJ fold and therefore have to do everything they can to discredit it.

"LOL whore hold." Yes, well, what are you going to do when you're on your back? Flop around like a fish? Is being in the guard preferable? No. Is it necessary? Yes.

Wow, so ignorant...Anyway...I give up ! lol

I dunno. Catch practictioners (as opposed to just no-gi grapplers) seem like the type who tell everyone how cool they are to try and convince themselves that they're not wasting time.

"Pins are relevant! Really! Being on the back is gay! Right? Right?"

I dunno. Catch practictioners (as opposed to just no-gi grapplers) seem like the type who tell everyone how cool they are to try and convince themselves that they're not wasting time.

Like i already said numerous times, there is dumb peopole everywhere, in catch, in bjj, in restaurant, in the street, everywhere. I can quote you stupids sentence made by bjj'er, judo or catch guys.

Did you ever got pinned on the ground, by a judo guy or a catch guy? Maybe you should, it will probably change your perception of pins...The guy can hold you there forever and hit you as he wish, it's hard to do (like some fancy sub) but if it's done correctly, it suck to be there.

I beg to differ, though these days I don't really consider myself catch (or anything outside of a overall grappler for that matter).

That is because CSW is not Catch Wrestling. It is Erik Paulsons own Hybrid style. It's a mix of BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Shooto, and Catch. So ofcourse it cannot be compared with pure CACC wrestling.

That is because CSW is not Catch Wrestling. It is Erik Paulsons own Hybrid style. It's a mix of BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Shooto, and Catch. So ofcourse it cannot be compared with pure CACC wrestling.

I know it is Paulson's style, but the catch guys on sherdog tell me CSW is catch. Shooto is basically catch wrestling + muay thai. Paulson's gym is listed on the catchwrestling.net web site. It certainly seems like they claim it as their own.

Back