Starting Strength and other reading

The new Westside Barbell book only came out in the last week or two.

The new Westside Barbell book only came out in the last week or two.

Gotcha. Id like to pick it up, but just dropped $50 on The Anabolic Index books so dont think spending over $100 in a month on books is a good idea. Anyone plan on buying it?

Most of the people on this board would be much better off getting Verkhoshansky's new book "Special Strength Training: A Practical Manual for Coaches" than getting Supertraining or any of the other russian texts (with the exception of zatsiorsky). Unless you have a thorough background in human performance related fields and have read the russian texts before Supertraining will be like reading another language. Spend the money and get Verkhoshanky's newest book, it's better than any other book on that list, and it gives much more information that's easy to apply, although there are some mistakes and typos. He's apparently working on a new version that'll hopefully be out this year.

Ive ordered Eric Cressey's new book Maximum Strength, when it arrives I'll do a little review on it.

I brought several books about 18 months ago one of them was supertraining, up until last week I had used it as areference book rather than read it cover to cover.

But after a few conversations with Eza, I decided to read it from begginning to end. So far I am about 125 pages into it and it great..... it is however heavy reading, and at 492 pages is not a short book.

"Supertraining" the original book was co authored by Dr Yuri Verkhoshansky, I have a limited edition english translation of his recently released book "Special Strength Training" which is also a very good read.

I intend to reread that once I have finished Supertraining, then I have three books that I intend to read after that. Fundamentals of Special Strength Training In Sport by Vekhoshansky, Programming and Organisation Of Training by Verkhoshansky, and finally A System of Multi Year Training by Medvedyev. I have to admit that Verkhoshansky and Siff would be my favourite authors on special strength training.

My intention is to further enhance my training knowledge and with that knowledge use it to design a better training program that is specific to my individual strengths and weaknesses.

my suggestions

The strongest Shall survive
Muscle Logic
Starting Strength
Facts and Fallacies of Fitness

Does "Special Strength Training: A Practical Manual for Coaches" By Vekhoshansky explain the training "blocks" like the ones in your article EZA, and the ones people talk about on his forum? That is what I am interested in learning more about.

Does Zatsiorsky talk about these "blocks" in his book, "Science and Practice of Strength Training"? What does he focus on in this book?

Prof. Verkhoshansy's Forum

Here is a powerlifting program, using the "blocks", someone designed that Verkhoshansky seemed to appreciate. Might be interesting to you guys.

If you are interested in Block Periodization I believe Dr. Issurin has a new book on it.

Anything by Verkhoshansky is outstanding. Even if you don't buy his books, there is a plethra of information on his website. I downloaded a lot from there, and still haven't gone through all of it. His principles are what my workouts are designed around for my try out

becuase its in strength and conditiong:icon_neut

Hey way to dumb up a good thread. I'm not even gonna waste my time with you.

I've purchased Starting Strength, and Practical Programming. While I haven't gotten to Practical Programming yet because I tend to do other things with my free time than read books. Starting Strength was great and helped me straighten out my form on almost all of the lifts mentioned in the book. Of course I can only get myself so far, my elbows still flair once in awhile on bench and It's quite painful for me to go with the thumbless grip low bar squat he demonstrates.

Overall I have a feeling they were two wonderful purchases. Later on down the road I might purchase other pieces of literature that were mentioned in here but I felt these two were probably the foundation to start on.

It is not very good.

Can you elaborate on why you didn't like it?

I've stalled on the Rippetoe/Starting Strength 3x5 program and thought that I would start to follow Maximum Strength for two reasons:

1) I think I've reached intermediate stage and believe that it's time for me to start doing low reps (I think he prescribes lots of 3 rep sets and even works to singles, correct?).

2) His lifts/movements have more variety than Startings Strengths emphasis on squats, deads, cleans and presses. Those are great for beginners to get strong in a hurry, but I felt there were muscles that weren't being adequately worked in SS.

But I've only flipped through Maximum STrength at the bookstore and read some favorable threads on various forums. Cressey is a relentless marketer though. I signed up for his newsletter and he sends out lots of emails.

THanks.

Not to assume that everything that GSP does is worth emulating, but I did happen to notice on the video with his conditioning coach he and the other athletes were doing 3 rep sets followed immediately by a set of explosive movements. Would seem to be a improvement from the Crossfit/endless rep marathons that seem to be the 'new thing' in conditioning.

I would like to hear EZA thoughts on the 3 rep sets followed by explosive movements versus.

The Bodysculpting Bible For Men... kidding I heard ripps books are awesome, but Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik is one of my favorites, he has a simplistic old school approach

It's kind of tangential, but since proper nutrition is so important, I thought the M.e.t.a.bolic Advantage by Berardi was pretty good. Also includes basic strength and interval training information and schedules.

Edited for forum angstyness.

starting strength is pretty good stuff.

Can you elaborate on why you didn't like it?

I've stalled on the Rippetoe/Starting Strength 3x5 program and thought that I would start to follow Maximum Strength for two reasons:

1) I think I've reached intermediate stage and believe that it's time for me to start doing low reps (I think he prescribes lots of 3 rep sets and even works to singles, correct?).

2) His lifts/movements have more variety than Startings Strengths emphasis on squats, deads, cleans and presses. Those are great for beginners to get strong in a hurry, but I felt there were muscles that weren't being adequately worked in SS.

But I've only flipped through Maximum STrength at the bookstore and read some favorable threads on various forums. Cressey is a relentless marketer though. I signed up for his newsletter and he sends out lots of emails.

THanks.

Not to assume that everything that GSP does is worth emulating, but I did happen to notice on the video with his conditioning coach he and the other athletes were doing 3 rep sets followed immediately by a set of explosive movements. Would seem to be a improvement from the Crossfit/endless rep marathons that seem to be the 'new thing' in conditioning.

I would like to hear EZA thoughts on the 3 rep sets followed by explosive movements versus.

If you're stalled on the Starting Strength program, you need to get Rip's Practical Programming. It basically picks up where Starting Strength left off.

6. Coaches Strength Training Playbook, by Joe Kenn

I've got this one. It's got some good ideas in it and a pretty unique program that cna be adapted to pretty much any phase of sport you need it to. It covers his Triple Tier system (I think that's the name. Don't have access to the book right now) in detail but there's an article floating around online covering the gist of the program. If oyu can find it and like what you see, the book is worth it even if it is a bit hard to implement. It's not the most clearly laid out book.

It's called complex training. Basically a max-effort movement followed immediately by an explosive one. Both movements should be simliar. A good example would be heavy squats followed by jumping squats or bench press followed by plyometric pushups.

You can't compare it to a conditioning routine, because that's not what it's for. It's to develope max strength and explosiveness. Rest between sets is usually 2-5min or so.

Back