Starting Strength and other reading

I just got science and Practice of Strength Training and Game of Shadows since it was only 2 bucks. I is pumped.

I was wondering the same thing, it was going to be my next purchase but its so much more costly than SS, and heck of a lot harder to find a place that sells it.

i have it, most people will not read it after they buy it. It's a really good though :D but i'll read anything, so it was no problem for me.

Supertraining by Mel Siff.

There is a ton of good stuff on the internet. I think donut62 or the nudge posted a page on powerlifting links....or just go to deepsquatter, elitefts or westside barbell.com

It's called complex training. Basically a max-effort movement followed immediately by an explosive one. Both movements should be simliar. A good example would be heavy squats followed by jumping squats or bench press followed by plyometric pushups.

You can't compare it to a conditioning routine, because that's not what it's for. It's to develope max strength and explosiveness. Rest between sets is usually 2-5min or so.

Thanks for the info. I think Ross has written about it and there's a 10 year old book on Amazon. Do you know of any other good articles on the interweb about it?

Anyone have an opinion on Lou Schuler's "New Rules of Lifting?"

Can you elaborate vince? Just kind of curious.

I dont know the whole book is essentially a routine explained in detail - I was hoping for more information on lifting things like technique, progression, programming. I should have done more research on the book, its good for people who like to be told what to lift but not for someone who likes to actually learn about lifting and read about the WHY and HOW instead of the what.

Also I think theres way too many exercises and some are the type of things not all people can do in their gym so its not a very good routine imo. And the technique for each exercise is described very briefly. He should have dedicated a few pages to squat/bench/deadlift technique.

The part about foam rolling is useful if youre into that but theres probably more detail in his other books.

It wasnt too expensive so Im not bothered.

I dont know the whole book is essentially a routine explained in detail - I was hoping for more information on lifting things like technique, progression, programming. I should have done more research on the book, its good for people who like to be told what to lift but not for someone who likes to actually learn about lifting and read about the WHY and HOW instead of the what.

Also I think theres way too many exercises and some are the type of things not all people can do in their gym so its not a very good routine imo. And the technique for each exercise is described very briefly. He should have dedicated a few pages to squat/bench/deadlift technique.

The part about foam rolling is useful if youre into that but theres probably more detail in his other books.

Ahh I getcha. I hate "routine" books too. I kind of thought that's what it was, but I was hoping that with her rather verbose style there'd at least be plenty of explanation on specific choices. I want to be taught to fish, not given one.

Have you all got the Starting Strength book online, or in stores? I can't seem to find it anywhere - checked my local borders and barnes and noble.

Thanks for the review. The comments like "It's not very good" aren't helpful but this was.

I've got Starting Strength to teach the lifts, and I'm actually looking for a 'routine' book rather than an introduction to programming. But the squat and deadlift are so easy to do incorrectly that all the books should have a few pages on them. I'd say 95% of the books only have starting positiong and finishing position photos of those lifts with very little instruction, which is why everyone should have Starting Strength.

Thanks for the review. The comments like "It's not very good" aren't helpful but this was.

I've got Starting Strength to teach the lifts, and I'm actually looking for a 'routine' book rather than an introduction to programming. But the squat and deadlift are so easy to do incorrectly that all the books should have a few pages on them. I'd say 95% of the books only have starting positiong and finishing position photos of those lifts with very little instruction, which is why everyone should have Starting Strength.

Tbh theres thousands of routines online I dont think its worth buying a whole book just to be told what to lift and when.

Anyone have an opinion on Lou Schuler's "New Rules of Lifting?"

I gave it to my dad for Christmas because he wanted to start lifting weights. It's geared towards the general fitness crowd who wants to do the right lifts and get bigger/stronger but aren't really interested in numbers or training for any sort of competition. It's pretty basic, lifting regimes for fat loss, strength, hypertophy, etc but good for what it is.

ordering my copy of Rippetoe's book from Amazon but there is Starting strength, and starting strength second edition. Should i just get the second edition or both? Opinions?

Second Edition is just the improved version or revised version of the first one.

Second Edition is just the improved version or revised version of the first one.

Yup. Get the second edition, it has tons of assistance exercises added to the end like the RDL, good morning, push press, etc.

Back