Star Wars Megathread

If I were you I wouldn't engage in the representation discussion at all, if labels are going to bother you. Logic results in too many discrepancies the mind cannot take. And if you get caught up with each event and try to weigh it to each other, it's like when people say all STAR WARS fans are the same when we clearly are not. False comparisons and dichotomies arise.

The truth is we forget entertainment media is a product of privilege and therefore made by people in kind. In the beginning creation was autonomous but as culture derived itself from these artifacts of entertainment the necessity of marshaling and safeguarding cultural representation was democratized. Autonomy was given over to the principle of commodification. Fighting against progress will only position you on the wrong side of it. And because representation in media is still not equivalent to real social dynamic, you're punching yourself out for a cause that doesn't exist. For a consumerist facade.

I would encourage you to spare yourself the grief of this spat.

I hear you. And respect the non preachy way you articulated it. I’ve never been against the progress of representation. I’m half Puerto Rican and married to a woman of color. I have a straight child and a gay child, both women. I know we need to do better in media in regards to race, sex, and sexuality. I want my kids to make an emotional connection to characters the way I did as a kid. That doesn’t mean I have to like the ham fisted way it’s being gone about.

Edit: I was in a hurry before. Just wanted to mention that the aforementioned ethnic wife and children dislike the ST despite it being catered to them. Especially the gay daughter that dislikes disingenuous pandering to the LGBTQ community. So it’s not like I’m commenting from only my perspective.

Last edited:
I hear you. And respect the non preachy way you articulated it. I’ve never been against the progress of representation. I’m half Puerto Rican and married to a woman of color. I have a straight child and a gay child, both women. I know we need to do better in media in regards to race, sex, and sexuality. I want my kids to make an emotional connection to characters the way I did as a kid. That doesn’t mean I have to like the ham fisted way it’s being gone about.

Edit: I was in a hurry before. Just wanted to mention that the aforementioned ethnic wife and children dislike the ST despite it being catered to them. Especially the gay daughter that dislikes disingenuous pandering to the LGBTQ community. So it’s not like I’m commenting from only my perspective.

Does she ever wonder why there's sections in the bookstore for ethnic and gay fiction, but otherwise genres get broken into a different, non-social classification?

Does she ever wonder why there's sections in the bookstore for ethnic and gay fiction, but otherwise genres get broken into a different, non-social classification?

Well she’s sixteen and has an electronic device that just gives her what she seeks instantaneously. So book stores aren’t a thing in her world. But she’s aware that the art she likes and the topics she talks about aren’t found among the Straight. She looks at it as a convenience more than segregation and doesn’t think much more beyond that. With all the pressure she has just being a teen girl, she has no desire for the tedium of identity politics.

On that note, and trying to adhere to a request made of me, I’m gonna try get back to SW as a topic. I’m an OT Stan and will NEVER see eye to eye with ST Stans. So if I comment on my displeasure with the ST. Leave it be. Just as I won’t quote or comment on anyone saying how glorious they think Woke Wars is from here on out. It’ll be that easy.

d22jgx9669d61.jpg

Also too funny.....click link if you can't hear it.

What fictional weapon is as cool as a lightsaber? Is the lightsaber the coolest, period?

Pretty sure this could handle a light saber.
Fortnite%2Fblog%2Finfinity-gauntlet%2FFN_News_Large_4.1-Patch-Notes-1920x1080-fbf82fd6a8d1f7a016a8aa8186287471c6039fe0.jpg

But if we're talking a Marshal weapon, I'd go with this bad boy....
thorhammer-ft.jpg

Imagine a Light Hammer or Mace.
9kK6i4SRMhEsm2b7LokNswB7FbRA2CWxWIwLFsJ3GA1quQGUf9kac4E-PLWag3onOZB4QdilwGGQvv32dDZTwHF_boNpI5IK-UnpNLOeyEQ_HVe4oUwtoVkREoNQCrzQcpQ

Pretty sure this could handle a light saber.
Fortnite%2Fblog%2Finfinity-gauntlet%2FFN_News_Large_4.1-Patch-Notes-1920x1080-fbf82fd6a8d1f7a016a8aa8186287471c6039fe0.jpg

But if we're talking a Marshal weapon, I'd go with this bad boy....
thorhammer-ft.jpg

Imagine a Light Hammer or Mace.
9kK6i4SRMhEsm2b7LokNswB7FbRA2CWxWIwLFsJ3GA1quQGUf9kac4E-PLWag3onOZB4QdilwGGQvv32dDZTwHF_boNpI5IK-UnpNLOeyEQ_HVe4oUwtoVkREoNQCrzQcpQ

Those are all neat, and I like them a lot, don't get me wrong. I really like the idea of a new space weapon too, like a hammer or mace.

But as they as cool as a lightsaber? Yeah lots of space weapons are more powerful. But the way it waves around, the sound it makes. It's just so perfect. Samurai swords are almost as cool but not quite imo.

Nearest thing in terms of cool in my own head is a proton pack.

SglVEUW.gif

FyrFytr998 said:
There is definitely a schism happening at Lucasfilm. F&F’s success with bringing old Luke back and reigniting the love for the OT time line flies in the face of what KK’s story group is trying to accomplish. Which is creating a new Star Wars and fan base with no ties to what came before.

Beyond creating newer younger characters(which the Mandorian has done as well of course) I don't think KK, Abrams, Johnson and the "story group" had any kind of grand aim. What I think we saw was simply that they picked up on the potential for politics to be used to help sell and defend a product, I don't think any of them really care much about those politics.

I think there is a case that part of the way such marketing works is actually by antagonism, they actively want to rattle the cages of alt-right bigots because such a reaction can be used to create the impression their films are politically significant.

As in politics itself though I think this kind of cynical behavior potentially damages the causes it claims to support, the ST generally I would argue have hindered not helped progressive politics, given ammo to conservatives who claim progressive social causes are just cynical manipulation for power/profit.

The real problem with these films was simply the people making them lacked talent and didnt respect the material they were working with turning to cheap and cynical politics to try and cover this.

Last edited:
nah, theres nothing cooler than a light saber.

Remember when I was a kid watching phantom menace for the first time in the cinema and maul's double blades light up, i freaked out like a school girl touching axel rose in 89

Beyond creating newer younger characters(which the Mandorian has done as well of course) I don't think KK, Abrams, Johnson and the "story group" had any kind of grand aim. What I think we saw was simply that they picked up on the potential for politics to be used to help sell and defend a product, I don't think any of them really care much about those politics.

I think there is a case that part of the way such marketing works is actually by antagonism, they actively want to rattle the cages of alt-right bigots because such a reaction can be used to create the impression their films are politically significant.

As in politics itself though I think this kind of cynical behavior potentially damages the causes it claims to support, the ST generally I would argue have hindered not helped progressive politics, given ammo to conservatives who claim progressive social causes are just cynical manipulation for power/profit.

The real problem with this films was simply the people making them lacked talent and didnt respect the material they were working with turning to cheap and cynical politics to try and cover this.

Just a FYI, that was my statement, not Riggs. And I agree with you.

Wonder Woman's hairband/boomerang would kick all them asses.

As a kid there was no greater weapon than the ninja star; they came from The Shadows™ -- except for the mythical boomerang that always returns, a concept from which most of Marvel's throwing weapons come (Thor's hammer, Cap's shield, DD's batons).

Ninja star + Boomerang:

ff657122de7858dfb95d8baa850fcda1.gif

Laser + sword = 2nd Place

Third is flamethrower. You're fired.

Last edited:
Back