• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies STAR TREK BEYOND (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen STAR TREK BEYOND, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wanna live in a world where the sexual orientation of fucking STAR TREK character is the exact opposite of news worthy.

I really wanna live in that world.

I've never watched an episode of Deep Space 9 or Voyager or Enterprise, but this episode sounds like something worth looking at.

DS9 is the most serialized, morally grey trek series. It also has the most action, particularly some amazing huge fleet on fleet space battles. It's also the series farthest away from Roddenberry's version. The federation is not all squeky clean and an ideal example of the human race. Shit gets very real and things aren't neatly wrapped up every episode.

The first two seasons are prettt cookie cutter trek and slow at times, but season 3 and on, it's excellent.

It's a 'Star Trek' movie, directed by the Fast & Furious guy.

The trailer features a bunch of people running around, shooting things, jumping off of things, and shit blowing up. The music is a Beastie Boys song.

If Gene Roddenberry were alive, Sulu sucking cock would be a drop in the bucket on his list of concerns about how his vision is being honored, as he stormed the movie studio lot with an AR-15.

The only good thing to come out of this absurdist garbage is George Takei telling them all to take their pandering bullshit and go fuck themselves, lol. Almost makes it all worth it.

Update: July 8, 2016

Simon Pegg Defends Gay Sulu Reveal After George Takei Criticism

Simon-Pegg-Star-Trek-Beyond-070816-Dragonlord.jpg

Simon Pegg released a statement to The Guardian: "I have huge love and respect for George Takei, his heart, courage and humour are an inspiration. However, with regards to his thoughts on our Sulu, I must respectfully disagree with him.

"He’s right, it is unfortunate, it’s unfortunate that the screen version of the most inclusive, tolerant universe in science fiction hasn’t featured an LGBT character until now. We could have introduced a new gay character, but he or she would have been primarily defined by their sexuality, seen as the ‘gay character’, rather than simply for who they are, and isn’t that tokenism?"

"Justin Lin, Doug Jung and I loved the idea of it being someone we already knew because the audience have a pre-existing opinion of that character as a human being, unaffected by any prejudice. Their sexual orientation is just one of many personal aspects, not the defining characteristic. Also, the audience would infer that there has been an LGBT presence in the Trek Universe from the beginning (at least in the Kelvin Timeline), that a gay hero isn’t something new or strange. It’s also important to note that at no point do we suggest that our Sulu was ever closeted, why would he need to be? It’s just hasn’t come up before."

"I don’t believe Gene Roddenberry’s decision to make the prime timeline’s Enterprise crew straight was an artistic one, more a necessity of the time. Trek rightly gets a lot of love for featuring the first interracial kiss on US television, but Plato’s Stepchildren was the lowest rated episode ever."

"The viewing audience weren’t open minded enough at the time and it must have forced Roddenberry to modulate his innovation. His mantra was always ‘infinite diversity in infinite combinations’. If he could have explored Sulu’s sexuality with George, he no doubt would have. Roddenberry was a visionary and a pioneer but we choose our battles carefully."

"Our Trek is an alternate timeline with alternate details. Whatever magic ingredient determines our sexuality was different for Sulu in our timeline. I like this idea because it suggests that in a hypothetical multiverse, across an infinite matrix of alternate realities, we are all LGBT somewhere."

"Whatever dimension we inhabit, we all just want to be loved by those we love (and I love George Takei). I can’t speak for every reality but that must surely true of this one. Live long and prosper."

Star Trek's Sulu Sexuality: Simon Pegg Respectfully Disagrees with George Takei

I guess I need to be the most hardcore Trekkie (Trekker) here and point out that Star Trek has depicted homosexuality at least once before:

In season 7 of DS9, the last time they went to the "evil" mirror universe, Ezri Dax and Keira were lesbian lovers.
Even before that Jadzia had a lesbian affair with one of her previous host's female companions, IIRC. The actress played Moira Queen on Arrow too.

Update: July 7, 2016

George Takei Not Happy with Sulu Being Gay in STAR TREK BEYOND

George-Takei-Star-Trek-Beyond-Dragonlord.jpg

After it was recently revealed that Hikaru Sulu will be the first gay character in the Star Trek franchise, original Sulu actor George Takei wasn't overjoyed. He had never asked for Sulu to be gay. In fact, he'd much prefer that he stay straight. "I’m delighted that there’s a gay character," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of Gene’s creation, to which he put in so much thought. I think it’s really unfortunate."

He explains that Roddenberry was exhaustive in conceiving his Star Trek characters. (The name Sulu, for example, was based on the Sulu Sea off the coast of the Philippines, so as to render his Asian nationality indeterminate.) And Roddenberry had always envisioned Sulu as heterosexual.

Proving that is not so simple a matter, however. Sulu never had an on-screen love interest during Star Trek's initial three-season run. He did mention a daughter, Demora, who appeared in 1994's Star Trek Generations, the seventh film in the series (she was played by Jacqueline Kim).

Takei first learned of Sulu's recent same-sex leanings last year, when Cho called him to reveal the big news. Takei tried to convince him to make a new character gay instead. "I told him, 'Be imaginative and create a character who has a history of being gay, rather than Sulu, who had been straight all this time, suddenly being revealed as being closeted.'"

Not long after Cho's bombshell call came another, this one from Lin, again informing that Sulu was indeed to be gay in Star Trek Beyond. Takei remained steadfastly opposed to the decision.

"I said, 'This movie is going to be coming out on the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, the 50th anniversary of paying tribute to Gene Roddenberry, the man whose vision it was carried us through half a century. Honor him and create a new character. I urged them. He left me feeling that that was going to happen," Takei says.

After that, all was quiet from Beyond until a few months ago, when Takei received an email from Pegg "praising me for my advocacy for the LGBT movement and for my pride in Star Trek," he says. "And I thought to myself, 'How wonderful! It’s a fan letter from Simon Pegg. Justin had talked to him!'" Takei was certain the creative team had rethought their decision to make Sulu gay.

That is until one month ago, when he received an email from Cho informing him that the actor was about to embark on an international media tour for Beyond. Cho said it was bound to come out that his character was gay, and "what should he do?" A disappointed Takei told Cho to go about his promotional duties, but that he was "not going to change" his mind on the matter.

"I really tried to work with these people when at long last the issue of gay equality was going to be addressed," Takei says. "I thought after that conversation with Justin that was going to happen. Months later, when I got that email from Simon Pegg, I was kind of confused. He thinks I’m a great guy? Wonderful. But what was the point of that letter? I interpreted that as my words having been heard."

George Takei Reacts to Gay Sulu News: "I Think It's Really Unfortunate"
I listed to this guy for years on Howard Stern. I think he's awesome.

Cliffs: We don't want to make a new gay character people might not like. So we will turn a well loved character gay so it can be like someone coming out of the closet--well, I like them all these years so I guess he is an alright guy and gay people are quite super.
Rewriting history is such a vulgar display of power.

Nice to see Pegg (no pun intended) being on board with the propaganda machine. You can do not wrong special little pandas.

You think you remember Oceania being at war with Eurasia and Eastasia? You are wrong. We are allies with Eurasia and always have been and always will be. Our fight against Eastasia is eternal.
3 months later: Along with out allie Eastasia, we are turning the tide in our favor in the war against Eurasia.

Wow, Nero going into the past and creating the rebooted kelvin time line really did a number.

It turned khan into a British otter. Pretty crazy since before nero came back, both timelines were the same. They had the exact same 21st century. And during the eugenics war, khan was a war lord before being cryogenically frozen. But nope, that apparently never happened.

And now sulu is turned gay?

So I guess temporal distortions create the gay gene.

Simon Pegg:

"The viewing audience weren’t open minded enough at the time and it must have forced Roddenberry to modulate his innovation. His mantra was always ‘infinite diversity in infinite combinations’. If he could have explored Sulu’s sexuality with George, he no doubt would have. Roddenberry was a visionary and a pioneer but we choose our battles carefully."

Really? No doubt about it? Roddenberry would surely have made Sulu gay if he had spoken to George Takei?

I don't think anyone has a problem with a gay character in Star Trek, but it looks pretty to dopy on their parts making it the character who was played by a hugely popular homosexual. And without his input too. Reminds me of then they gave Nemoy the Generations script and he told them to shove it.

Takei is totally right. They're just making Sulu gay to pander to social justice and because of Takei himself. They don't care about being faithful to TOS, but we all knew this after seeing how they turned Star Trek into a Hollywood action flick.

the new star trek uniforms are going be really nice now.

It would be pandering tokenism either way!

Takei should have accepted the nicety with some dignity and grace but, of course, nothing is good enough for anyone.

I guess I need to be the most hardcore Trekkie (Trekker) here and point out that Star Trek has depicted homosexuality at least once before:

In season 7 of DS9, the last time they went to the "evil" mirror universe, Ezri Dax and Keira were lesbian lovers.

If they were hot, which they probably were, it doesn't count. Everyone knows hot lesbians are not homosexuals.

Sooo... for all these years. Through the 70's Star Trek TV show and through 6 or 7 movies, Star Fleet had a don't ask / don't tell policy?

Update: July 8, 2016

Simon Pegg released a statement to The Guardian: "I have huge love and respect for George Takei, his heart, courage and humour are an inspiration. However, with regards to his thoughts on our Sulu, I must respectfully disagree with him.

"He’s right, it is unfortunate, it’s unfortunate that the screen version of the most inclusive, tolerant universe in science fiction hasn’t featured an LGBT character until now. We could have introduced a new gay character, but he or she would have been primarily defined by their sexuality, seen as the ‘gay character’, rather than simply for who they are, and isn’t that tokenism?"

"Justin Lin, Doug Jung and I loved the idea of it being someone we already knew because the audience have a pre-existing opinion of that character as a human being, unaffected by any prejudice. Their sexual orientation is just one of many personal aspects, not the defining characteristic. Also, the audience would infer that there has been an LGBT presence in the Trek Universe from the beginning (at least in the Kelvin Timeline), that a gay hero isn’t something new or strange. It’s also important to note that at no point do we suggest that our Sulu was ever closeted, why would he need to be? It’s just hasn’t come up before."

"I don’t believe Gene Roddenberry’s decision to make the prime timeline’s Enterprise crew straight was an artistic one, more a necessity of the time. Trek rightly gets a lot of love for featuring the first interracial kiss on US television, but Plato’s Stepchildren was the lowest rated episode ever."

"Our Trek is an alternate timeline with alternate details. Whatever magic ingredient determines our sexuality was different for Sulu in our timeline. I like this idea because it suggests that in a hypothetical multiverse, across an infinite matrix of alternate realities, we are all LGBT somewhere."

"Whatever dimension we inhabit, we all just want to be loved by those we love (and I love George Takei). I can’t speak for every reality but that must surely true of this one. Live long and prosper."

Star Trek's Sulu Sexuality: Simon Pegg Respectfully Disagrees with George Takei

Blah, blah, blah, blah....

Still doesn't change the fact that one of the most popular Star Trek characters and one of the gayest (also most awesome) actors on the all planets doesn't agree with going back and rewriting a Popular Sci Fi Narrative to appease the SJW's. And why Sulu? Why not Scotty? Sounds like Pegg would love to act out some gay love. Beam.... Me.... Up....

In the End, it doesn't matter to me. I just find it hilarious that they didn't consult Takei first and just assumed he would be thrilled.... because he's gay... yeah

What's the matter? Can't a gay actor portray a straight character? lol

Should have made Kirk gay, maybe a Kirk Scottie relationship.

Back