stages of growth

kkto76

White Belt
Reaction score
I heard that bones first grow long to fulfill the height of a person. They then grow wide to support the weight of the person as they become mature. I am currently 16 years old and i have a small frame.. For example, my wrists are smaller than almost everyone else's my age. Will time fix this problem? Or will i be stuck with a small frame my whole life?

You sound overly concerned, don't sweat it. At 16 you have still got a lot of growing to do.

You are at a prime age to start lifting weights as well. The best example of this on the board is everyones favourite Finn, Ruuvimermeli. He starting lifting weights at your age and caught his growth spurt perfectly and put on about 60lbs in a year.

Look at your parents, especially your dad that will give you a rough idea

at 16 youve got a pretty good indication of your frame, but your ability to develop muscle is undetermined. get to work and see what happens, and dont wait for things to magically improve.

Reakt said:
Look at your parents, especially your dad that will give you a rough idea

My dad is 43, about 5 foot 8 weighs about 180. I', 16, 6 foot, and weigh about 240. My mom is pretty small, too. I don't know how accurate the pay attention to your dad thing would work in my case.

(I can beat him up too :D )

Whether rations were scarce during pregnancy can effect how you come out, in addition to the situation of your grandmothers when they were pregnant with your parents. plus, there are mutations all the time that effect the way a child grows, and an improvement in nutrition (I've outgrown everyone in my family probably due to a huge calcium intake while growing up) are another culprit. Your parents aren't the best measure for how you'll turn out, but they are where your genes came from.

I hope i still have more room to grow, ill admit im a late bloomer when it comes to puberty. I have also noticed teenagers that are tall enough to be adults but still have smaller wrists and less body mass. Hopefully i will just gain it in time. Any have anymore information??

during puberty u should get as much sleep as you can, cause during sleep ur growth hormones are released. but besides that its really in the genetics.

don't worry about it. I was a late hitting puberty too. TAke the advice of the other guys here and lift heavy (read the stickies) eat alot of protein and sleep as much as possible. Alot of how you turn out rests in ;your hands.

I am 16, 5'9'' 185 pounds, very muscular and trim, I am afraid I am not going to grow any taller though. Idealy I'd like to be 6' - 6'2'' and fight at 205, When I am an adult I am going to try to avoid heavyweight class as much as i can

Start having lots of sex, seriously. It is a good increaser of testosterone.

I did some research online and read that bone first grows in length until the growth plates are fully closed. After this the bones still grow in diameter. So if this is all true then i guess my bones could still grow bigger. Ill also try to get lots of sleep and calcium like you guys said.

I didn't read anything but the inital thread, but I am gonna respond anyhow.

My hands/wrists still grow and I am 20. Part of it is just growing.

But I also believe the heavy thickbar work and bending etc. that I do has help thicken up my wrists and hands.

You got plenty of time to fill out. The University of Nebraska Football team recruits High School basketball players that start out looking like Manute Bol and 3-4 years later after being red shirted they are 300lbs. offensive lineman. It takes them until 22-24 to get there and alot of training and eating.(So they spend 7+ years in school, who doesn't these days?)

My wrists have grown about 1/2-3/4" in diameter as an adult and i believe it is from consistently doing powercleans/chins over the years, my 2 favorite exercises. Although my hands/forearms do have sort of a cankle look so its probably not the bone structure.

Aesthetically speaking small wrists/bone structure can be an advantage cause as you pack on muscle the ratio size of your wrists to your muscles is greater than someone w/Pedro Rizzo type hands giving the illusion of tremendous size. Also small hands are good for doing technical/mechanical work/fine work. All this anxiety is going to stunt your growth.

Dude, whats really going on here? Your happy with your height but not your bone structure? Cause you've been comparing to your peers(usually a bad idea cause i gotta feeling your not to objective when it comes to yourself)? How big are your wrists and exactly how tall are you? Start focusing on what you got brother and not what you ain't got. You got plenty of time to fill out. Get to the weight room.After 3 months of that and tell us how your bone structure is doing then. All this anxiety...is gonna stunt your growth...

btw im not sure if anyone else has said this but males stop growing at 21, so you've got lots of time

i am working out, and i am 15 nothing serouisly happens (sp?), i grew 6 inches since last year i am 6'1 178

LCDforMe said:
My dad is 43, about 5 foot 8 weighs about 180. I', 16, 6 foot, and weigh about 240. My mom is pretty small, too. I don't know how accurate the pay attention to your dad thing would work in my case.

(I can beat him up too :D )

Maby you should go back to your mom and ask her who shes been with in the last 20 years and maby youll get peace of mind on this comparing ur size to you dad issue ;) Good Luck Check Maury Pulvich he does pretty good maturnity tests !

candian_born said:
i am working out, and i am 15 nothing serouisly happens (sp?), i grew 6 inches since last year i am 6'1 178

Lol, duh nothing happens. All the food you're eating is making you taller. You have to eat twice as much to gain 6 inches in height AND some serious muscle size.

Back