Squat foot placement?

Timetravel_0

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
As a former admitted quarter/half squatter, and for the past 6 months or so I've been having trouble finding the proper form for squats especially foot placement. I read the tnation article in the FAQ and it mentions to get your feet as wide as possible, but I was wondering how others place their feet. When I put my feet wide, it's hard to squat deep but when I go narrower, it's harder to balance and I feel some pain and uncomfortableness in my knees.

Also, any other tips or guidelines on squat form are appreciated.

Generally speaking a close stance will be more benefical for ATG squat whereas a super wide squat will be more beneficial for a Powerlifting type squat. Just make sure that your knees are not caving in when you're coming up though, that's the most important part. I keep my feet about shoulder width apart, but I'm doing ATG squats and not parallel squats. Just try to squat like this:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbiWIpmZq3Y&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbiWIpmZq3Y&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'm now squatting with my feet about shoulder width. Before i had a wider squat but i changed to a closer stance after i trained with a guy who competes in the IPF.
I must say it works better for me because i feel i can push out with my feet and knees making the squat more powerful.

Honestly I think the super-wide "sumo stance" squat was developed in order to maximize the support of the gear used in current powerlifting feds. If you're not wearing a squat suit and knee wraps so stiff you can barely bend your knees without 800lbs on your back, you'd be better off using a closer stance like the IPF guys, who have more restrictive rules on lifting gear. It's kind of somewhere in between a powerlifter squat and an oly squat, technique wise.

Honestly I think the super-wide "sumo stance" squat was developed in order to maximize the support of the gear used in current powerlifting feds. If you're not wearing a squat suit and knee wraps so stiff you can barely bend your knees without 800lbs on your back, you'd be better off using a closer stance like the IPF guys, who have more restrictive rules on lifting gear. It's kind of somewhere in between a powerlifter squat and an oly squat, technique wise.

Which is generally (emphasis there) heals about shoulder width apart.

wide stance squats are gay, just like sumo deads

Sumo deadlifting has been linked to assistive lifting equipment use and homosexual tendencies.

While I wouldn't do them all the time (or even much of the time), I think they're useful here and there (especially for people with long torsos and short legs) and by no means involve catching the ghey.

Conventional deadlifts are usually considered better for overall athletic strength development. Sumo stance would be more beneficial to someone competing in powerlifting.

I used to have a pretty narrow squat, but I've been placing my feet wider lately because this stance makes it easier for me to stay balanced with the weight (I have trouble with getting front heavy). I still squat quite a bit below parallel and actually find that this quite wide squat does a good job working my flexibility - and I'm a very flexible guy to start with.

Conventional deadlifts are usually considered better for overall athletic strength development. Sumo stance would be more beneficial to someone competing in powerlifting.

I see the relationship between sumo deadlifts to regular dealifts similar to that of the PL depth squat ato a front squat or bench press to overhead press. The latter ones are more functional, but there's something to be said about piling the plates on at times. That is assuming that your built so that sumo's allow you to pull more weight.

Dan john suggests this: Perform three vertical jumps in quick succession... now look at your feet. This is good foot placement for squats. Now, if you're a powerlifter, (as mentioned) you probably want a wider stance so the inflexibility actually helps you. But for many athletes, a deeper squat (and ergo narrower stance) may be more beneficial.

Ultimately, you should incorporate wider/narrower squat stances as variations in your routine, just as you would vary grip width on bench press.

For my bball workouts i vary the foot positions. You need the power from all angles.

Dan john suggests this: Perform three vertical jumps in quick succession... now look at your feet. This is good foot placement for squats. Now, if you're a powerlifter, (as mentioned) you probably want a wider stance so the inflexibility actually helps you. But for many athletes, a deeper squat (and ergo narrower stance) may be more beneficial.

Ultimately, you should incorporate wider/narrower squat stances as variations in your routine, just as you would vary grip width on bench press.

Thanks Urban, that's a great rule of thumb for something I've been wondering a lot about.

What precisely do you think is the problem with sumo deadlift?

Didn't I pretty much answer that in my original post? They are gay. That is precisely what the problem is with them. I mean, look how stupid they look, especially at the lockout with the feet all spread out. Who stands around holding shit like that? Lets see if I can pick this up and do a split at the same time. Gay, Ghey, Gaye, Gaeeeee! Don't worry, I feel the same about super wide grip bench presses, like when the tiny women lifters use the max legal width.

As a former admitted quarter/half squatter, and for the past 6 months or so I've been having trouble finding the proper form for squats especially foot placement. I read the tnation article in the FAQ and it mentions to get your feet as wide as possible, but I was wondering how others place their feet. When I put my feet wide, it's hard to squat deep but when I go narrower, it's harder to balance and I feel some pain and uncomfortableness in my knees.

Also, any other tips or guidelines on squat form are appreciated.

i started doing squats super wide and had horrible groin pain, i shifted to a shoulder width and now have no pain at all and my hips and knees have no pian either.

Back