Squat foot placement?

some good replies and some silly responses...anyways. The closer your feet come together, the more you isolate the quads. The farther apart your feet are, the more your glutes, hams and calves pick up the load.

I usually start with a close stance to isolate the quads to failure, then i super set them by using a wider stance which allows me to continue to attack the quads but with the help of the other muscle parts.

Didn't I pretty much answer that in my original post? They are gay. That is precisely what the problem is with them. I mean, look how stupid they look, especially at the lockout with the feet all spread out. Who stands around holding shit like that? Lets see if I can pick this up and do a split at the same time. Gay, Ghey, Gaye, Gaeeeee! Don't worry, I feel the same about super wide grip bench presses, like when the tiny women lifters use the max legal width.

You know Lusst pulls sumo right?

*hides*

Didn't I pretty much answer that in my original post? They are gay. That is precisely what the problem is with them. I mean, look how stupid they look, especially at the lockout with the feet all spread out. Who stands around holding shit like that? Lets see if I can pick this up and do a split at the same time. Gay, Ghey, Gaye, Gaeeeee! Don't worry, I feel the same about super wide grip bench presses, like when the tiny women lifters use the max legal width.

I think most people use too far out grips out of ignorance. I see 120lb women with their hands way past the rings all the time. Big difference between being dumb and putting variation into your program. I mean yeah not 100% functional, but the same can be said for the snatch grip deadlift from a platform. No one would pick something up that way naturally, but it's also a hell of a lift that'll push your ability to keep nuetral spine.

I think most people use too far out grips out of ignorance. I see 120lb women with their hands way past the rings all the time. Big difference between being dumb and putting variation into your program. I mean yeah not 100% functional, but the same can be said for the snatch grip deadlift from a platform. No one would pick something up that way naturally, but it's also a hell of a lift that'll push your ability to keep nuetral spine.

Assistance lifts are one thing. I have no problem with exagerations in form for variety and to hit certain areas harder. Its the competitive lifts that many lifters bastardize to lift more weight that I scoff at. (I don't blame the lifters, because its legal)And I know I'm being a bit irrational, cause the same could be said of the snatch, yet I don't bitch about snatches. Just ignore me, I'm get crotchety in my middle age.:D

some good replies and some silly responses...anyways. The closer your feet come together, the more you isolate the quads. The farther apart your feet are, the more your glutes, hams and calves pick up the load.

I usually start with a close stance to isolate the quads to failure, then i super set them by using a wider stance which allows me to continue to attack the quads but with the help of the other muscle parts.

That is gheyer than sumo. And chock full of missinformation.

You know Lusst pulls sumo right?

*hides*

Yeah but isn't it a "modified" sumo, like Ed Coan? Those are less gay. Anyway, he can squat 600 in a non gay fashion, so that allows him to deadlift however the hell he wants without judgement. ...*hopes this offering appeases the gods*....

Just a newb question but... are you talking about the actual feet position, or the width of the angle between your legs?

In Starting Strength, I remember Rippetoe saying to do a full ATG squat with no weight and pushing your knees outside with you elbows with both hands clasped, the feet being roughly under the shoulders, and that would be correct stance. That's what I'm doing, and I never gave second thought about that, but... this is not what you guys call a "sumo squat", right? The way I understand it, sumo means your feet are far apart, as in sumo deadlift, but I can't imagine squatting like this????

You are correct sir. You want your feet and knees angled out in a V. We are talking about the feet being very wide apart. Generally, the wider the feet, the wider the V.

I have no idea, I just squat. I try to do it the best I can to Rippetoe's book but I'm still not sure.

Just like spiral said, with feet pointing about 30 degrees out.

Back