• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sport Jiu-Jitsu in a street fight, Its not all the same!

Sherdog should make this forum so you can only have your real name and picture, alot less people would be onn here talking junk, small world its easy to run into people you have seen before or heard of, doesnt take much balls to type bs to someone and bully people online. Why are people jumping to conclusions about GJJ saying theres no rolling, practicing or resistance? quit it. For 1 you can do GJJ at a legit school and become a good grappler with good top game, 2 you can put someone in a headlock with full resistance and see if they can get out along with other drills people look for any tiny spec to get their hatred in. go punch a pillow if your that upset lol

Actually no one does that.

You get a guy like john South that wrote that his local GJJ wins medals at the local competitions due to superior techniques and that is it.

You do not read about sport Bjj guys writing about their medals due to superior techniques!

Now back to the topic, I dabble in the GJJ self defense program.
I never learned it so I got an assistant instructor to teach it as he comes from a Royce Gracie network/ affiliates etc...

We do 1 technique per class's and do one week of it every 12 weeks.

The problem I have with it is the person needs to do that or do this. It just not that great . If elbow pointing that way, you need to this etc...

I prefer putting some boxing gloves and one person just use jiu jitsu.

That is way more fun.

lmhywsk1.gif

Listen here newfriend, this is a great forum and it's very close knit. I trust the insight of many people here, many people have helped me with the advancement of my jiujitsu, and I get happy to see their success and advancement. A lot of us have been posting for many years and seen each other grow as grapplers. Though we don't always get along, we tend to treat each other with respect. Not only is this a tool for your learning, but a place to socialize and talk about the thing that's on our mind nonstop. We're very passionate about grappling here, and it is in my opinion the best forum for grappling on the internet.

As to posting ourselves, there's a thread in the stickies where we post pictures of ourselves. If you want to see a picture of me go ahead. There's a pretty cool picture of me winning a match at my last tourney with a triangle. Feel free to look at it, I myself thought it was pretty cool.

Dude I'm a rubber guard player with an Eddie Bravo avatar. You don't think I've taken my fair share of shit over the years? Especially before the rematch. I didn't mind taking a ribbing because there are some absolutely great grapplers here and I respect their opinion because I respect them. Johnsouth has been a blight on these forums for awhile now, saying some vile shit. I literally did research into it and found him on a neo nazi website, saying the exact same shit. This is f12, this isn't stormfront.

Listen here new friend? Lmao, Ivr been reading these grappling forums for years and just decided to make an account, u might have a billion posts guess what, your no better than me , this forum can be good for information and debates but I don't put up with people who disrespect and flame cause they have a different opinion , get it? Lets not pretend sherdogs one big family cause its the opposite you guys might have a few close connections but you get off on flaming ppl and talking down, no ones better than anyone or does that digital belt next to ur name pump ur ego, u got a picture with a triangle? Thumbs up ! We practice triangles I te gym everyday nothing to brag about

Gjj works. Sport jiu jitsu works in tournaments.

Edit man youguys killed that guy!

I am not a purple belt but I have trained with some that "brag" that they can't punch or never ever been in a full fight (sport or street) and although their jiu jitsu is better than mine, I do know that I am tougher than them and I don't look up to them like higher belts who have gone through a bit more serious confrontations

Last edited:

I am not a purple belt but I have trained with some that "brag" that they can't punch or never ever been in a full fight (sport or street) and although their jiu jitsu is better than mine, I do know that I am tougher than them and I don't look up to them like higher belts who have gone through a bit more serious confrontations

meh. :rolleyes: seriously, just go back and read the guy's posts. He's been trolling hard for almost a year, never contributes much but to say he is a badass and would whoop your ass. Posts all sorts of stuff. Yeah, he's funny sometimes and makes some good points, but ruins a lot of threads with his war room attitude. I'll admit I recognize he's just a troll, and I get a chuckle out of his antics, but at the same time he's a one trick pony. This is a grappling forum after all, and not a place to brag about what a badass you are and run others down. So many legit guys here would kick his teeth in by his own dirty rules, if he wanted to play that way, that no one cares-- much less he would be grapple fucked by a ton of the people here. OK, great, you can fight. Everyone in here can fight. Get over it. Let's talk technique, share ideas, share videos, marvel at the cream of the crop. He'll be banned eventually, but will not be missed.

This could be quite true.

I think what a lot of people donde realize is that crazzyness and violent behavior are as much important in a streetfight as technique, well may be not that much, but it sure as hell helps. A crazy mad unstable violent person who does bjj (let's cut the crap, bjj doesn't automatically convert you in a monk, I know a lot of people that inside the gym are the nicest person in the room, outside, they will have absolutely no problem to exchange fists with anyone) let's say blue level, and has size or strenght advantage, not even mcuh let's say 10 pounds, is gong to turn to pulp a let's say purple or brown belt hell even black belt who has never ever seen a real confrontation outside the gym, and doesn't train that much more Than sport bjj. Is just commun sense, bjj does not turn you into a ninja, specially if the other dude has some basic knowledge of the sport

Last edited:
Sherdog should make this forum so you can only have your real name and picture

rather, we should get rid of names here altogether! that way, the fuller focus will be on THE WORD, and not petty distractions of the flesh.

This could be quite true.

I think what a lot of people donde realize us that crazzyness and violent behavior are as much importar in a streetfight as technique, we'll may be not that much, but it sure as hell helps. A crazy mad unstable violent person who does bjj (let's cut the crap, bjj doesn't automatically convert you in a monk, I know a lot of people that inside the gym are the nicest person in the room, outside, they will have absolutely no problem to exchange fists with anyone) let's say blue level, and has size or strenght advantage, not even mcuh let's say 10 pounds, is gong to turn to pulp a let's say purple or brown belt hell even black belt who has never ever seen a real confrontation outside the gym, and doesn't train that much more Than sport bjj. Is just commun sense, bjj does not turn you into a ninja, specially if the other dude has some basic knowledge of the sport

Yeah man. I do think sportbjj people here dismiss "self defense" focused artists just more than the self defense group dismisses "fancy" sport focused techniques. Its still jiu jitsu and they are both good styles to learn and apply in the proper situations.

The one thing about a serious physical confrontation is that you can't explain truly to anyone. You have to be in one to know. The guys who have never been involved in one, I'm happy for them as it should be avoided at all costs but they definitely shouldn't poo poo it as "nothing" or something they could easily handle no problem.

Yeah man. I do think sportbjj people here dismiss "self defense" focused artists just more than the self defense group dismisses "fancy" sport focused techniques.

I don't think that's it. I think it's just that for a lot of non-brazilian people, when we got into the art, we bought what the Gracie's were selling. We're doing GJJ! Helio and LEVERAGE...and SICK Helio!!!

Now that it's more common (at least in the States) and more information has come out, people have taken the attitude that training under the Gracies just isn't that important anymore. As long as the instructor, and the techs they are teaching is legit, you're good to go.

More and more it's "I train BJJ" not, "I train GJJ". Because in the end, we realize it simply doesn't matter.

It does matter to some people's income though, and so now we're bombarded with bull shit GJJ/SD 3 hr long videos and "these sport BJJ guys are kidding themselves if they think they are prepared for da streetz!?!?".

And it's straight bullshit, and anyone that's honest and has trained more than a few years can see it.

All that matters is are you training hard, do you techs work against someone that knows what they are doing, and are you keeping yourself honest (comps generally).

If you can say yes to all those things, then you're fairly prepared for dastreetz!?! (IMO of course)

i do BJJ because I want to get good at BJJ. i don't put myself in situations where i need to defend myself on the streets, but feel confident that i would be ok in doing so.

i do BJJ because I want to get good at BJJ. i don't put myself in situations where i need to defend myself on the streets, but feel confident that i would be ok in doing so.

same as I do, bjj has given me the confidence out there but not the cocky type, and has given me clear judgement to walk away in heated arguments to diffuse the situation unlike before pre-bjj know-how where all I would ever want is to punch people in the mouth.

Notice JohnSouth hasn't posted again since I outed him? You're welcome Sherdog.

As one of the original prosecutors in the JohnSouth year-long debacle, I thank you for doing what must be done. I never went that far because he'd usually back off.. but this thread, wow, this thread.

wink-point.gif

The one thing about a serious physical confrontation is that you can't explain truly to anyone. You have to be in one to know. The guys who have never been involved in one, I'm happy for them as it should be avoided at all costs but they definitely shouldn't poo poo it as "nothing" or something they could easily handle no problem.

I train BJJ exclusively for the sport of it. I feel it's more than sufficient for self defense.

I've been to multiple street fights (I play pick up basketball when I was younger), when bitches make bullshit calls, that's when arguing starts and eventual fight break out. Knowing only wrestling at the time, I would take people down and just hold them there. I feel like I would absolutely demolish people now that I know BJJ.

If you truly want to feel what it's like to get into a street fight, just go to a predominately white/asian neighborhood (you don't want to do this in the ghetto) and go play pick up. Just foul like crazy and argue every call (and call everyone a little bitch).

You'd be surprised at how well you'll do.

If you truly want to feel what it's like to get into a street fight, just go to a predominately white/asian neighborhood (you don't want to do this in the ghetto) and go play pick up. Just foul like crazy and argue every call (and call everyone a little bitch).

Can't do that in a ghetto-like setting in Asia (Thailand, Philippines), you'll be stabbed or chased with a machete. Seen this happened during a pick-up game so don't push your luck in these depressed areas.

Yes, no ghettos. Preferably nicer/richer neighborhoods.

I train BJJ exclusively for the sport of it. I feel it's more than sufficient for self defense.

I've been to multiple street fights (I play pick up basketball when I was younger), when bitches make bullshit calls, that's when arguing starts and eventual fight break out. Knowing only wrestling at the time, I would take people down and just hold them there. I feel like I would absolutely demolish people now that I know BJJ.

Haha. A kindred experience in a lot of ways. I got into so many stupid fights as a kid playing pickup before Bjj. I got into one as an adult (with Bjj) and it was unavoidable but it was easy

My post wasn't directed at you as you have been in a scrape. It's not cool to get into them past high school but my point was those who never have shouldn't be so dismissive. It's different when a guy you don't know who may be bigger or stronger comes at you with bad intentions.

Yes you can find those guys at every pickup court in America.

random note...one thing I know after playing in college and semi pro...basketball players can't fight. I sure couldn't when I was just hooping 😄

I can't believe I read this whole thread.

For what it's worth, I think the constant argument of self defense in jiu jitsu is really annoying. The problem with other TMAs for decades has been that they make the same argument, and it's always turned me off. After I took one trial Kempo class 5 or 6 years ago, I was frustrated with the immediate curriculum and took up MMA instead. Instead of learning a Kata I learned how to take someone to the ground, get position and punch them in the face. It was just no nonsense, and immediately practical, it didn't require any explanation.

It's a given that something like MMA or BJJ would work in the street because you're actually sparring. It's no longer theoretical; it doesn't matter if you're on a sidewalk or on a mat, the results are the same. You are fighting. I took up BJJ from MMA because I got tapped out a lot while sparring for MMA. So, now I don't as much.

I don't know if I'm rambling but, it's just silly to even bring it up when you can just carry some pepper spray or a fucking tazer legally in your pocket. If you give me a ranged tazer and ten feet of distance I will fight any GJJ/BJJ black belt right the fuck now and I will definitely win, no "self defense" system will stop me. It's just stupid, and I don't want it watering down things like it has with other martial arts.

random note...one thing I know after playing in college and semi pro...basketball players can't fight. I sure couldn't when I was just hooping ��

Very true. But they sure talk and act tough.

I haven't gotten into a fight since high school over 20 years ago. I don't see how that would change now that I'm nearly 40.

A blue belt training sport jiu-jitsu will destroy a drunk dude at the bar or some asshole on the courts 9,999/10,000 times.

/thread

Back