• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sport Jiu-Jitsu in a street fight, Its not all the same!

Boolshit is in the details my friends...

Anyone that has ever sparred MMA knows that you only get to pick how the fight goes if you are wholey superior.

If your opponent has anything on you, including strength or meanness, some of the time you will have to respond to what he's doing.

I say this as someone who does submission grappling 1-3 days a week that if I go to mma open mats to spar I might use a BJJ technique once a month, but I use wrestling ever single round.

Wrestling + Muay Thai is the bread and butter of fighting right now. The person better at clinch striking and/or takedowns is almost always the winner.

That was sort of the reason why that guy Geoff Thompson said to hit first and use "artifice".

Getting into a fair fight is risky, he could be anybody.

I'll admit the self defense part of the curriculum is intended as quick defenses against untrained opponents.

But the rest is same as what anyone else has, you are in no way limited to that. I know everyone is aware of that move.

Whether or not they learned it from Sakuraba is another thing.

Believe it or not I pulled that move off in sparring once, the actual Gracie technique during a transition. It was awesome.

Well based off my real world experiences, any argument you now make about gjj jiu jitsu being the ultimate self defense are is invalid. I have trained with too many elite athletes and been around too many dangerous people to "BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION!!" to do an art that's "self defense" BASED ON THE OPPONENT NOT KNOWING WHAT THEY ARE DOING. which the core of it's marketing is that it is the 'ultimate self-defense' art. Go back to the trailer park and let us have fun talking about jiu jitsu

Well based off my real world experiences, any argument you now make about gjj jiu jitsu being the ultimate self defense are is invalid. I have trained with too many elite athletes and been around too many dangerous people to "BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION!!" to do an art that's "self defense" which is the core of it's marketing is the 'ultimate self-defense' art. Go back to the trailer park and let us have fun talking about jiu jitsu

I'm sorry you feel that way but that's the topic of the thread. lol

They do sport also pretty well so I'm not sure what your problem is.

I feel it's the best choice for most people and plenty of legit people agree with me.

Sport is ok too but I like knowing the headlock, punch, knife and gun defenses.

I'd be careful if I were you, having the same username as someone else on a different forum doesn't make it me.

Don't be ridiculous. It 100% is you and anyone can see that. there is no doubt at all.

That was sort of the reason why that guy Geoff Thompson said to hit first and use "artifice".

Getting into a fair fight is risky, he could be anybody.

Some nut job pro fighter with a chip on his shoulder and a rock in his hand. I'm with you, and agree.

sEtUBd9_zps68asv8nq.gif

JohnSouthShallRiseAgain is a racist!?!?!

I never would have guessed!

Lost!

This thread took a sudden turn from topic done to death into a very gripping read.

I'm sorry you feel that way but that's the topic of the thread. lol

They do sport also pretty well so I'm not sure what your problem is.

I feel it's the best choice for most people and plenty of legit people agree with me.

Sport is ok too but I like knowing the headlock, punch, knife and gun defenses.

haha gun defense is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. How often is the guy going to stand arms length or put the gun against your head. Gun defense will get you killed.

[YT]3I_Ds2ytz4o[/YT]

StayHumble has become one of my least favorite posters within two posts. Impressive.

guns and knives for self defense

bjj for fun

Well this thread blew up 10+ pages in one day of troll-feeding. What did I learn?
Ryron Gracie has good defense but also leaves his arms open when caught in north south. So he's good and he sucks too.
Kurt Osiander used to be a bouncer.
AgonyandIrony is a fucking detective.
John South is a white supremacist (shocking) from Ohio.
Beating a dead horse thread > creative kind of threads.

Did I miss anything?

there's a reason many weaker less athletic, smaller people join Jiu-Jitsu, it uses techniques for the smaller weaker person defeat a larger attacker. It is a gentle art but also very helpful for self-defence, thats why its appealing. Fighting MMA is fine, even though there is a huge mentality difference in most cases, not everyone is tough and rough enough to just join MMA, thats what makes Jiu Jitsu a great option.
How could It be unrealistic scenarios if there is a ton of footage of the older gracies defeating opponents with the Self-Defence aspect of Jiu-Jitsu? Sport BJJ does help, but trying to get under someone In half guard, might get you KO'd

Everyone with any sense realizes after a while that this idea is a bullshit fantasy which is used by most martial arts as a marketing technique.

The reality is many things are advantages. Strength can be an advantage, mass can be an advantage, flexibility, speed, stamina, ability to not panic under pressure, and certainly technique and experience are massive advantages as well.

If one is at a strength and mass disadvantage, but holds advantage in techinque, experience. stamina, etc, then yes one can certainly persevere and thrive in a confrontation.

But the idea that you can defeat a larger stronger opponent is rubbish unless your technical advantage exceeds your mass disadvantage.

Weight classes exist in combat sports for a reason.

It isn't a bullshit fantasy.

I roll evenly with blue belts and often threaten to tap brown belts. I'm a solid average player. I'm also large and I command enough technical understanding that better people come to me and say, "what do you think about that and how should I do it?"

Guys that I train with, who I outweigh by 100 pounds and have that much on them when it comes to virtually every major lift, are routinely able to escape to their feet by utilizing classic escapes like the elbow knee, free your head from Kesa and uphill turn, by starting early and knowing where they are going, or waiting for me to start an attack from a dominant hold and moving.

Better, if we don't start a round timer and they play safely enough, they will eventually tap me as I start to gas, by evading a submission, scrambling to their feet, and getting on top.

For that matter, a 10 year old who trains for like 2 months will send a fit 12 year old flying with an Upa from mount if he's untrained. That's good self defense.

Yes, if my fat ass 100% gets kesa with elbow control on someone half my size I'll be able to maintain it all day, but how do I get their easily against a small fit man who knows where he is going? All he has to do is endure and escape and it isn't unreasonable.

No one with a brain in their head thinks beating a stronger larger and better trained person is the point. For self defense it is always beating a larger less trained person and that is child's play, because the stuff works.

The other day I saw a 15 year old with 3 months BJJ and 1 year high school wrestling triangle a 30 year old fit man with 80 pounds and twice the strength.

The average blue belt destroys the average person in a street fight in under 30 seconds.

guns and knives for self defense

bjj for fun

Oh fkn BS. We aren't animals to kill somebody who might have a fkn problem. Are you a women?

What a pansy way to view the world. 'I might lose this fight I may have somewhat started, better shoot.' ANIMALS don't always use their deadliest weapons against each other when fighting over females or territory. Jesus.

Also, taking somebodies back will do wonders. knowing how to handle being headlocked helps. Being used to being choked helps. Reversals, sweeps, and stalls help. Etc..

Back