Soreness/no soreness after lifting?

S

SixTwoSix

So I just started lifting yesterday, and today I wake up and I'm not sore at all even though I was immediately after lifting. I'm taking this to mean that it wasn't effective, am I just being an idiot or do I need to lift more on my lift days? I checked the FAQ and found nothing, sorry if this has been answered before.

Did you eat immediately after lifting? If so, what did you eat? I ALWAYS eat a protein and good carb rich meal after I work out and this helps my soreness tremendously.

My worst soreness (if I get sore) occurs on the second day usually. So, it might hit you later.

So how/what did you lift? program? exercises?

Soreness really isn't an indicator of effectiveness BBUUUTTT if you JUST started lifting and aren't swore then that is strange... post routine?

Soreness is usually how your body responds to a new stimulus.

What that means is if you have not done X exercise in a while (weeks or months or never) then being sore is how your body responds.

I find once the initial soreness fades, if I keep frequent with that exercise, I'll never get sore again unless I do an insane amount of volume.

Soreness is not your indicator. Strength or size gains are your indicator.

Here's an excerpt from a Joe DeFranco article entitled, "10 Training Myths Exposed":

Myth #3: The best indicators of a good workout are how tired you are after the workout and how sore you are the next day.

This is a myth my most dedicated athletes still have a tough time dismissing. Most hard-working individuals equate a good workout with being exhausted and sore. I can

Even though soreness isn't an indicator it is a bit odd to not be sore after your first day of lifting.

Post your routine

maybe your naturally gifted with great recovery, in which case congrats

You must pump more iron, make sure you do your 15x10 curls.

I was doing 5x5 of:

Curls
Bench Press
Military Press
Tricep Extensions
Dumbell sitting power cleans

Right afterward I drank a protein/weight gaining shake but that was it. I'm slightly sore today but nothing major at all.

Even though soreness isn't an indicator it is a bit odd to not be sore after your first day of lifting.

Post your routine

maybe your naturally gifted with great recovery, in which case congrats

i remember the first time i ever did curls,

i couldnt fully extend my arms for about a week, it was like my arms were frozen at 135 degrees

hurt like hell

only other time i experienced that was when i took a break from lifting for about 4 months

No need for soreness, but IF this was your very first workout ever, it would be quite odd not to feel a bit fucked up.

That said - I see no squats og deadlifts in there, and those are the major DOMS exercises for a newbie in my experience.

Maybe you used too light of weight...

Question... is that the order in which you performed the exercises?

I was doing 5x5 of:

Curls
Bench Press
Military Press
Tricep Extensions
Dumbell sitting power cleans

Right afterward I drank a protein/weight gaining shake but that was it. I'm slightly sore today but nothing major at all.

would this happen to be the order you did each movement

also post what you will be doing the rest of the week

your first day reeks of not reading the faq

I honestly don't remember what order I did them in, I've since decided to switch my days/excersises according to motion, like a press day, curl day etc.

I was lifting to the point where on the last two/three sets of any given exercise I couldn't do anything past 5 reps, which I thought was correct.

Wait another day before you start freaking out...soreness doesn't usually set in for me until the second day after a workout (if at all). I'm also going to just echo one more time that soreness is not a good indicator of the effectiveness of your workout, nor is the "burn" you (may or may not) get during workout. Getting stronger, faster, bigger, etc. is your indicator.

I honestly don't remember what order I did them in, I've since decided to switch my days/excersises according to motion, like a press day, curl day etc.

I was lifting to the point where on the last two/three sets of any given exercise I couldn't do anything past 5 reps, which I thought was correct.

You're on a good track by dividing your workouts into general motions, but "curl" should not be one of those motions! You most definitely don't need a "curl day". For that style of training, most people agree you should split your work into Push/Press, Pull, and Squat. Curls can be done on the Pull day, but you'd be wise to only do them after you've done some other things like maybe deads, rows, pullups, etc. Gotta have your priorities in the right place.

Don't listen to these guys. If you don't feel the burn the day after you're not FUCKING HARDCORE ENOUGH

disgust.jpg

Back