Sonnen: Prime BJ Penn Could Have Beaten Khabib

Reebok and Newbie fans forget how Beastly like a young, motivated BJ Penn was back in the day. He had sick TDD defense and very active guard.

I wouldn't say he be a favorite, but he would have a better than average chance and put up a helluva fight.

War Burrito BJ

Pennfat.jpg

giphy.gif

I don't get how you guys say prime BJ was so great and yet in his last fight he gets his knee destroyed in a matter of seconds. You may not be as competitive as a grappler as you get older due to decline in physical attributes, but there's no reason for your sub defense to decline.

The sport moved on, it's different now and comparing greats of different generations is silly.

I think he could have won for sure. You'd be stupid to count him out.

But he would have gassed if he didnt get the first round finish, he would have a round to do it.

That's all he needed half the time

Prime Penn had the best TDD I've ever seen at lightweight. To this day, far beyond anything we've seen from any lightweight. His ability to stop takedowns, or otherwise get up from them is far better than we see today.

It will never happen, but prime Penn versus Khabib would be fun. Same Penn who easily shrugged off over 25 takedowns from a former middleweight over 25 minutes.

Penn had very good TDD in his prime, would have been an interesting fight. I'd favor Khabib by decision though.

Penn had the kind of style conducive to making larger grapplers struggle. His first fights with Hughes and GSP are proof of that. I'd still pick Khabib but the fight would've been fun.

I’d favor prime Sherk over Khabib. Penn and Hughes as well.

I'm a way bigger Penn fan than Khabib, but if we're talking prime for prime, no way.

The best BJ Penn could possibly beat the old early UFC Khabib, but definitely not the championship version.

People forget how insane Prime BJ's takedown defence, striking and jiu jitsu game was back in the day. Would've been a hell of a fight

I’d favor prime Sherk over Khabib. Penn and Hughes as well.
This one too.

In most cases it seems fans favor the new guy. And in most cases I don't think that's fair.

This one too.

In most cases it seems fans favor the new guy. And in most cases I don't think that's fair.

This isn't most cases though, Khabib really is leaps and bounds better than Penn, Sherk, or Hughes.

To me I'd put prime GSP, Silva, and Jones against anyone in their division but Penn is not in the category. Hell, I wouldn't pick Penn against Conor or Tony either.

Back