Sonnen: Prime BJ Penn Could Have Beaten Khabib

Prime Penn arguably beat GSP when he was severely outsized in their first fight and subbed prime Hughes to win the WW belt as a natural FW/LW. Prime Penn vs Khabib would be a pick em imo
GSP dominated both fights

Penn was a monster. Beating Lws,WWs, and MWs. Fighting machida at 220lbs to a decision.

Not saying he would win but it's possible. Dude took Hughes back and choked him out in a Rd.

Who here thinks khaibib could beat Usman? Or Hughes

Hughes definitely. They don't make em like they used to and for good reason. Khabib is a much better fighter than Hughes and that's coming from someone who thinks tony will beat him

Penn fought in a weak era and is overrated as hell. He wouldn’t be dominate against today’s lightweights.

Also has the longest losing record over 10 years

Chael also said Cerrone takes the Connor fight easily too
<seedat>

Given his behavior and performances lately I don't feel like bj penn fans get to say stupid shit like this anymore

Prime Penn arguably beat GSP when he was severely outsized in their first fight and subbed prime Hughes to win the WW belt as a natural FW/LW. Prime Penn vs Khabib would be a pick em imo
Not related to anything, but when GSP threw that first low-kick and BJ jumped over it, instead of checking it... a thing of beauty... inhuman reflexes..

Did you watch Hughes vs GSP 1? Prime Hughes 'did not need' a stand up to demolish one of the best pound-for-pound and make it look easy :)

Penn wasn't strong enough for Khabib. He would land some punches but would get taken down and controlled like vs. GSP.

Look up "dominated", also try to use it in a sentence, like: dominated all the way to a split decision. Dominated so much that one out of three judges thought the other guy won (and there was plenty of people who agreed with the judge). Here is a random thought: try watching the fight?

Stylistically he matches up well. Has long range boxing, good take down defense, good off his back. I don't think it's crazy at all. Khabib hasn't fought enough guys to say that he could just beat anyone willy nilly.

Could Khabib do what GSP did in the 2nd fight against Penn? It's possible, but it's worth noting GSP and Khabib have totally different strengths athletically speaking and GSP is bigger.

Khabib has had one title defense as the undisputed champ (and he really his title was still disputed...because Furgeson had claim but I digress) and people think he's the GOAT lw? I don't understand MMA fans really.

View attachment 715535

Khabib’s last 8 fights, before he joined the UFC, were fought at WW.

I know, but none of them were against UFC-level competition and they are almost decade old fights.

I don't want to use them as examples of how Khabib would perform against WWs in the UFC today, especially when 1. he has improved significantly since, and 2. his WW opponents would be much better.

It was pretty disingenuous of me to suggest he hasn't fought at WW though I'll admit lol.

Yea motivated/prime BJ at LW was amazing...rattling off wins against the likes of Diego, Ken Flo, and geriatrics like Sherk and Pulver. Top it all off with getting beat twice by a featherweight.

Yea, that guy could beat Khabib

I think this fight is a lot closer than people think. BJs boxing is being heavily underrated here along with his insane TDD. people are forgetting that the mauling from Georges took place a weight class above Penns natural class againgst the greatest fighter to ever compete. I’m not saying Khabib is the same level as Diego, Stevenson and Sherk but BJ ran through them like nothing. I’d put Sherk from that era against anyone at LW today except Tony and Khabib and I’d like his chances.

this fight would be a lot closer than people think. I give prime BJ a legitimate shot.

That is obviously not the case since the scorecards were: 29/28 GSP - 28/29 Penn - 29/28 GSP, which means every single judge gave Penn at least 1 round... or just watch the fight.

Some of you are crazy. It would look like the second GSP fight not the first lol . He would quit on the stool or be finished

Prime BJ? What’s this about a Prime BJ?

It’s Motivated BJ

Good MMA boxing and arguably the best takedown defense... he could be a bad matchup for Khabib.
He would have proved difficult but likely would have lost. Khabib covers and pressures largely nullifying the boxing, and he doesn't shoot singles and doubles from 6 feet out like some of the guys used to get away with. It favors khabib still. Not terribly unlike him vs GSP

I love me some Uncle Chael but let’s be real, BJ would get mauled and pounded out.

Back