Sonnen: Prime BJ Penn Could Have Beaten Khabib

Penn is underrated now because of how much he’s deteriorated as a fighter, and was an absolute monster during his best years, but I think Khabib probably wears out any version of him.

Penn was a monster. Beating Lws,WWs, and MWs. Fighting machida at 220lbs to a decision.

Not saying he would win but it's possible. Dude took Hughes back and choked him out in a Rd.

Who here thinks khaibib could beat Usman? Or Hughes
Please post these ww and mw u claim he beat.

Chael isnt reinventing the wheel with that opinion..lol

Woulda been interesting through 5 tho.

Cant count either guy out

im not watching the video...but no. No. no. No. No

ITT people shit talking BJ that never watched him fight during his prime.

Lmao the delusion in this forum is crazy, either that or Conor's nuthuggers are trying too hard.
Khabib would destroy any version of Penn, motivated or unmotivated...
Can't believe people still counting losses to argue how good a fighter was. Hurrr sure he lost to Machida that means he's good

You are out of your mind if you completely count Penn out of this. I would probably favor Khabib, but Penn could definitely do it. The man was an absolute savage at lightweight in his prime.

I would take Khabib handily over almost every lightweight in the history of the sport, but I think he has problems with a few of them. Penn is one, Tony is one, and I go back and forth on a Gaethje match up. That's about it for me.

Penn would put up some resistance in the early stages then get tired like he usually does, Khabib would maul him.

Thing is khabib is beating everyone and making it look easy so people are starting to think he is some sort or demi god.

Happens to all of the best and all of them lose at one point and then sherdog claims they always sucked.

Prime Penn had a shot, he wouldn't of let khabib pass and could mitigate most GNP. I think it comes down to cardio imo which Penn has struggles with in grappling fights.

People forget how good Penn was in his prime. The dude was flat out sick on the ground and had power in both hands. He also had one of the best chins in all of MMA.

I'd pick penn... he beat prime Hughes who at the time was a bigger, better version of Khabib.

Dude I dunno man Prime Hughes didn't have any stand up, hard to say he was a better version then most 170 pound guys today.

BJ could beat Khabib but it wouldn't be easy.

He'd lose badly to Tony and Prime RDA.

Styles make fights.

People are so fucking clueless its scary. Yea khabib is good and excels get on the ground but how the fuck is he gona take bj penn down? Guy had godlike tdd in his days, say khabib does take him down. He aint smashing bj at worst the ground game is neutralized. This is more than an favorable matchup for bj. Bj would fuck khabib up, idc what u idiots gotta say.

I agree.

And prime and current GSP would smoke him too.

Penn was a monster. Beating Lws,WWs, and MWs. Fighting machida at 220lbs to a decision.

Not saying he would win but it's possible. Dude took Hughes back and choked him out in a Rd.

Who here thinks khaibib could beat Usman? Or Hughes
khabib could beat usman potentially but he would certainly dominate Hughes, just too one dimensional.

Back