Somone suggest something for this flu

Ian Coe

Silver Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Right, I haven't trained since mid march.

I took a break because of my knee from running and anything that would aggrevate it (plus I was feeling a bit drained).
I went back into it mon-wed and wed felt terrible. I took the next 2 weeks off and then a couple of weeks ago came down with a heavy flu/virus. I had 4 days off work and came back last week.

I'm still feeling rough, better 'in myself' but still feel drained and have a sore throat (it hurts when I yawn). But regardless I'm holding off on the training because I don't want it to come back.

I'm loading up on vit c, paracetamol and ibuprofen and got some antibiotics last monday to help with the throat, but still.
Anyone have any suggestions other then sleeping and resting. I have been doing that for 6 weeks and its doing my nut in (I've been trying to get mucho sleep on the weekends and above 8 hours during the week). I have fitness tests in 6 weeks that I need to start preparing for

I don't know, but I can tell you that I had one last year that I fought and fought (Vit C, zinc, etc) for about 2 months and I finally got tired of fighting it and stopped taking all that stuff and let it run its course. It kicked my ass quite thoroughly for a couple of days then promptly went away. So maybe if you've been trying to fight it since you felt it coming on, just give in and let it steamroll you.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell ya man, sorry. Hope you feel better soon.

I don't know, but I can tell you that I had one last year that I fought and fought (Vit C, zinc, etc) for about 2 months and I finally got tired of fighting it and stopped taking all that stuff and let it run its course. It kicked my ass quite thoroughly for a couple of days then promptly went away. So maybe if you've been trying to fight it since you felt it coming on, just give in and let it steamroll you.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell ya man, sorry. Hope you feel better soon.

See, I fought it for 2 weeks mate (every morning I was waking up in a pool of sweat and I was taking about 4g of vit c and zma) and then I had a stressful day and it put me out for the count for 6 days (proper shivering, constant sweating, high body temp, couldn't swollow because of the throat). But that was last week and the fucking thing is still in me.

Cheers for the input and sentiment mate

Have you gone to a doctor? I don't know what else to tell ya, wish I did. Sounds nasty.

Have you gone to a doctor? I don't know what else to tell ya, wish I did. Sounds nasty.

yeah I went last monday

She gave me some antibiotics for the throat. I went the week before because I was pretty bad (well, I was MADE to go by family and the gf) apparently. Initially 2 weeks ago they said they couldn't give me anything because it was a virus.
They'll run out this wednesday.

She was basically saying I was run down (and like I said I've been lazy for the last 6 weeks so thats a no no)

Why are you taking both paracetamol AND ibuprofen? Just curious.

Sounds like you'll have to let things run it's course; finish up ALL the antibiotics, hydrate like a motherfucker, eat super clean, and get a TON of sleep. I honestly don't think any OTC stuff is going to make a difference at this point.

Frustrating, I know; we've all been there. It's a bitch when your literally forced not to train.

Why are you taking both paracetamol AND ibuprofen? Just curious.

Sounds like you'll have to let things run it's course; finish up ALL the antibiotics, hydrate like a motherfucker, eat super clean, and get a TON of sleep. I honestly don't think any OTC stuff is going to make a difference at this point.

Frustrating, I know; we've all been there. It's a bitch when your literally forced not to train.

It was suggested. I'm taking pure doses of both to reduce swelling and to act as a pain killer.
She suggested I do this when I first came down with it (and was off work) along with hot toddys and just wait it out.

Agreed@ forcing myself not to train. I keep seeing people running in the nice weather and its like they are rubbing it in!

I guess I won't be able to train but starting today I need to take over the training classes 4 times a week, so i guess when I am back to normal its going to be a rush job to get myself back to fitness.

Thanks for the input mike

all the science saying it doesn't work,.....I don't care....when I have a stubborn flu I get into me

Glutamine (5 to 15g a day, and yeah, I KNOW people will say it doesn't work, but for recovering from flu, it does for me)
Multi V
Flax oil
Zinc
vitamine B
generic flu medicine
plently of energy drinks

Haven't had something that cocktail hasn't shaken after a few days yet.

With the antibotics and the flu- get some chewable acidophilus to put back the healthy bacteria!

^^^^

hmm, I don't have any probiotic type stuff

Would live yoghurt do?

all the science saying it doesn't work,.....I don't care....when I have a stubborn flu I get into me

Glutamine (5 to 15g a day, and yeah, I KNOW people will say it doesn't work, but for recovering from flu, it does for me)
Multi V
Flax oil
Zinc
vitamine B
generic flu medicine
plently of energy drinks

Haven't had something that cocktail hasn't shaken after a few days yet.

I've been taking all of those except for the glutamine, the vitamin b supp and I have fish oil instead of flax.

Whenever I've been sick, I've tried to drink as much hot stuff (i.e. tea, soup broth) as possible and stay away from food that's heavy and difficult to digest. Seems to work well for me.

Otherwise, you might want to try some searches at this site:

E A R T H . C L I N I C

One of the user-tested sore throat remedies is gargling with warm water and cayenne pepper. I've tried it just once at the onset of some sort of throat problem and it never grew into anything beyond that. Good luck; sucks being indoors when the weather is so good.

Start running again. Then you won't have time to make out with all those people carrying the flu virus.

One thing you could do would be rehab-type training; think static stretching, foam rolling, light yoga, etc etc. It'll get your body moving, but not tax your compromised immune system.

I've been taking all of those except for the glutamine, the vitamin b supp and I have fish oil instead of flax.

I use fish oil all the time...flax just when sick for some reason. Same with the glutamine. I don't care if it is placebo or not...it works for me.

^^^^

Is there a reason for swapping over particularly when you're ill?

Whenever I've been sick, I've tried to drink as much hot stuff (i.e. tea, soup broth) as possible and stay away from food that's heavy and difficult to digest. Seems to work well for me.

Otherwise, you might want to try some searches at this site:

E A R T H . C L I N I C

One of the user-tested sore throat remedies is gargling with warm water and cayenne pepper. I've tried it just once at the onset of some sort of throat problem and it never grew into anything beyond that. Good luck; sucks being indoors when the weather is so good.

yeah I drink a lot of tea and what not (english), but I tend to wait for it to cool it down. I think thats a reason why hot toddys (whiskey, lemonade, lemon juice, honey all hot) were recommended

Start running again. Then you won't have time to make out with all those people carrying the flu virus.

Isn't it annoying how the same peopel haven't been ill!

One thing you could do would be rehab-type training; think static stretching, foam rolling, light yoga, etc etc. It'll get your body moving, but not tax your compromised immune system.

Hmm, I should really get into the foam rolling

I would recommend dropping most of the medication. When using medication like antibiotics they can weaken your immune system while you are taking them. If you have been using them for more than a few weeks i would stop taking them. Stick with vitamin C and some advil or ibuprofen for any body pain. Let your body take care of it the natural way. I haven't taken medication for any illness for almost 10 years. I load up on vitamins and sweat it out. might just be me :)

I would recommend dropping most of the medication. When using medication like antibiotics they can weaken your immune system while you are taking them. If you have been using them for more than a few weeks i would stop taking them. Stick with vitamin C and some advil or ibuprofen for any body pain. Let your body take care of it the natural way. I haven't taken medication for any illness for almost 10 years. I load up on vitamins and sweat it out. might just be me :)

Telling someone to stop taking medications prescribed by a physician is pure lunacy.

Do you know WHY he was prescribed antibiotics?
Do you what TYPE of infection he has?
Do you know how SEVERE the infection is?
Do you know Ian's medical HISTORY?

No? then

f_stfunoobm_6efa8e1.jpg

Rum (since you don't have schnaps) + hot tea and then go to bed. You will sweat like a mofo but you will wake up and feel much better. This is what old people told me and it works.

Telling someone to stop taking medications prescribed by a physician is pure lunacy.

Do you know WHY he was prescribed antibiotics?
Do you what TYPE of infection he has?
Do you know how SEVERE the infection is?
Do you know Ian's medical HISTORY?

No? then

f_stfunoobm_6efa8e1.jpg

jesus. sorry for offering a suggestion. Had I known it would have ruined your day maybe I wouldn't have posted it. Now I am not saying any of this is iron clad, just something to support my statement. In his post he stated that he had the flu or a virus so I think I have an idea of the infection. I do not need to know his medical history to offer a suggestion when he posted on a public forum asking for suggestions.

So relax buddy. If you disagree with me then fine but we see enough "newb" or "fail" posters from the 12 year old jerks on here, we really don't need them from the moderators too. Well anyhow just my opinion. If people don't agree then thats cool.

Antibiotic Overuse Weakens Immune System

Why Antibiotics Are Not the Answer for the Common Cold and Acne

jesus. sorry for offering a suggestion. Had I known it would have ruined your day maybe I wouldn't have posted it. Now I am not saying any of this is iron clad, just something to support my statement. In his post he stated that he had the flu or a virus so I think I have an idea of the infection. I do not need to know his medical history to offer a suggestion when he posted on a public forum asking for suggestions.

So relax buddy. If you disagree with me then fine but we see enough "newb" or "fail" posters from the 12 year old jerks on here, we really don't need them from the moderators too. Well anyhow just my opinion. If people don't agree then thats cool.

Antibiotic Overuse Weakens Immune System

Why Antibiotics Are Not the Answer for the Common Cold and Acne

*wishes this guy had said this to Urban*

Back