Something i realised about Prometheus,Alien,Pandorum etc....

0vary hugger**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In hundreds of years from now the human race would have ridiculously powerful technology.
We already have lasers,drones and complex firearms.
In hundreds of years we would have heavily armed machines(robots) and extremely powerful weaponry that we can't even imagine of right now.
If we were attacked by aliens or such we could simply send machines/drones to easily annihilate them.
In the movies however the setting is always us turning tail and running away like primitives and getting overwhelmed.

Well in Alien it was just a mining ship so there was no heavy firepower to use.
Prometheus was mainly for archeological and research purposes.
I can't remember how Avatar ended but that was ass so who cares.

The singularity is supposed hit by 2050 and once that happens the bots will advance so much as to be smarter than everyone combined. Aliens would still own us though,especially if they have been around for millions of years.

Same with Chopping Mall. Just put a Johnny 5 on that freak and BOOM!!

Yeah but isn't the downfall of the people who die in all those movies human nature - greed, cowardice, etc. - and not lack of advanced technology?

By the same token, the surviving hero doesn't do so because of technology, but because of his/her noble human qualities like courage, resilience, and so on.

If we're talking about real life, it's been like 50 years and I'm still waiting for my Jetson's flying car dammit!

There were no machines/drones/lasers in the alien universe. They had a mech for transportation Ripley use to fight the Queen, and Bishop a Droid, who was stronger than a human, but weaker than an Alien.

Alien universe is not the same as Terminator universe.

Speculating on technology is pretty difficult, the time between paradigm shifts shrinks with each one.

We still haven't developed past chemical slug-throwers, though, and we've been using them for centuries.

There were no machines/drones/lasers in the alien universe. They had a mech for transportation Ripley use to fight the Queen, and Bishop a Droid, who was stronger than a human, but weaker than an Alien.

In the Alien universe was it ever explained why they didn't use platoons of synthetics instead of marines?

We have had the technology to beat aliens for a while now.

Danny-Glover-Predator-2.1.jpg

Exactly,that's just convenient movie fodder.
We can have spaceships that can travel light years,sleep in chambers without aging but have no advanced weaponry of any sort.
In real life interestingly enough we would own such enemies easily.
The xenomorphs would get shredded by unmanned machines that would fire thousands of rounds per minute,same thing would happen to those creatures in starship troopers etc.
All of the fictional enemies would actually be no match for us irl.
In the movie we conveniently have none of the advantages we would be having at the time since it wouldn't fit in with the theme of running around getting killed.

Exactly thankyou.

Exactly,that's just convenient movie fodder.
We can have spaceships that can travel light years,sleep in chambers without aging but have no advanced weaponry of any sort.
In real life interestingly enough we would own such enemies easily.
The xenomorphs would get shredded by unmanned machines that would fire thousands of rounds per minute,same thing would happen to those creatures in starship troopers etc.
All of the fictional enemies would actually be no match for us irl.
In the movie we conveniently have none of the advantages we would be having at the time since it wouldn't fit in with the theme of running around getting killed.

There were no spaceships that traveled light years in Aliens, and they did have two automatic machine guns that fired when the enemies was within proximity in "Aliens." The numbers of the Xenomorph was too great and they ran out of ammo.

Alien universe is not the same as Star Trex universe.

I'm sorry, what?

He was asking why they didn't just send in armies of Bishop-type androids to fight the Xenomorphs instead of humans.

My answer: it would most likely be cost prohibitive.

He was asking why they didn't just send in armies of Bishop-type androids to fight the Xenomorphs instead of humans.

Because they would have been destroyed. They were not Terminators. Did anyone watch the films? Remember whay Bishop said when he went through the tunnel of pipes? Remember how easily the Queen tore him apart?

I'm sorry, what?

Synthetics (like Bishop) were physically and intellectually superior to humans, and capable of independent operation.

Why send in humans when you can send in a synthetic?

I was just wondering why they didn't have synthetic marines.

This. Also, in Pandorum

The "aliens" are just mutated people and iirc none of the survivors were soldiers and they didn't have much access to weaponry

Still a good point TS. I think a lot of these films falsely assume there will be advances in certain areas like transportation(teleportation, flying cars, time travel, space ships, etc) and neglect others like communication which is where we've actually progressed.

That's a good answer.

Back