Something i realised about Prometheus,Alien,Pandorum etc....

Superior to humans is all I care about.

Anyways, I just wanted to know if a reason had ever been provided, and I don't think one ever was.

I've never even thought of that before. It's such a massive plothole, i don't think i can watch Aliens ever again.

With the way humanity is going, we're probably going to slow down with the technological advancement either due to financial crisis or a crippling global war. IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if the nasa space stations get abandoned some time in the near future. All our governent tax money goes into dumb shit.

The aliens are always ahead of us. No matter how far we come they will always have the advantage. Except against computer viruses sent by Will Smith.

Speculating on technology is pretty difficult, the time between paradigm shifts shrinks with each one.

We still haven't developed past chemical slug-throwers, though, and we've been using them for centuries.

Seriously, we are only just now getting our Dick Tracy watches this year. And most of the people in today's generations don't even know who the hell he is.

What used to make me laugh about Aliens was how a a bunch of badass marines only had 4 sentry guns and no other heavy machine guns. Oh and each sentry gun only had 500 rounds.

in Aliens, didnt they have some kind of bullshit condition on the station and they didnt even want them to use usual projectile ammo? let alone anything more powerful, if they had anything?

in Aliens, didnt they have some kind of bullshit condition on the station and they didnt even want them to use usual projectile ammo? let alone anything more powerful, if they had anything?

The reactors.

They ignored the restriction, and the place blew up.

What used to make me laugh about Aliens was how a a bunch of badass marines only had 4 sentry guns and no other heavy machine guns. Oh and each sentry gun only had 500 rounds.

They lost most of their weapons/ammo with their first encounters with the Xenomorphs.

In hundreds of years from now the human race would have ridiculously powerful technology.
We already have lasers,drones and complex firearms.
In hundreds of years we would have heavily armed machines(robots) and extremely powerful weaponry that we can't even imagine of right now.
If we were attacked by aliens or such we could simply send machines/drones to easily annihilate them.
In the movies however the setting is always us turning tail and running away like primitives and getting overwhelmed.

the ships in Pandorum, Prometheus, and Aliens are not even that fast, which is why they need suspended animation.

Their weapons are no better than the M-16 we have now.

the ships in Pandorum, Prometheus, and Aliens are not even that fast, which is why they need suspended animation.

Their weapons are no better than the M-16 we have now.

I know very little about guns.

Does anyone know how much gun technology has advanced in the last fifty years?

I liked Pandorum

I saw Pandorum yesterday,it inspired this thread.
It's just weird that humanity is portrayed as the underdog to primitive alien creatures like the ones mentioned in the OP when we would have very advanced weaponry at the time.

I know very little about guns.

Does anyone know how much gun technology has advanced in the last fifty years?

For personal defense, not much beyond ammunition augmentation. Anything that could replace standard bullets require firing devices the size of trucks like rail guns and such. Lasers are really only useful for surgery. In military applications they are mainly useful in munition guidance systems. Other than that, only different ways to fire the same old bullets have been invented. We are still a long way off from Kirk telling us to set our phasers on stun. :)

For personal defense, not much beyond ammunition augmentation. Anything that could replace standard bullets require firing devices the size of trucks like rail guns and such. Lasers are really only useful for surgery. In military applications they are mainly useful in munition guidance systems. Other than that, only different ways to fire the same old bullets have been invented. We are still a long way off from Kirk telling us to set our phasers on stun. :)

Thanks, that's mostly what I thought.

It's weird that there has been so little technological advancement in an industry that sees so many billions of dollars a year.

I saw Pandorum yesterday,it inspired this thread.
It's just weird that humanity is portrayed as the underdog to primitive alien creatures like the ones mentioned in the OP when we would have very advanced weaponry at the time.

Well in Pandorum one of the captains in the flight went crazy and killed his crew and mutated others in his madness. We don't see what happens with the ships weapons since in the movie Bower wakes up well after the initial event.

It's interesting to speculate on this, but the fact is, if hollywood made a film where humans went out and kicked alien ass, they would be slammed by the PC police as depicting something that, well, District 9 was basically doing.
-and that's using the aliens as a device for an ulterior message/motive.
The aliens in District 9 weren't aliens at all. It was basically social commentary.
Same is true for Avatar, though that was way more heavy handed.

So for that reason, I feel like hollywood is afraid to have humans just straight up going around and whooping aliens.

Look how far we have come in the last hundred years...
Imagine just the next 100?

The mind boggles.

It's interesting to speculate on this, but the fact is, if hollywood made a film where humans went out and kicked alien ass, they would be slammed by the PC police as depicting something that, well, District 9 was basically doing.
-and that's using the aliens as a device for an ulterior message/motive.
The aliens in District 9 weren't aliens at all. It was basically social commentary.
Same is true for Avatar, though that was way more heavy handed.

So for that reason, I feel like hollywood is afraid to have humans just straight up going around and whooping aliens.

How about Starship Troopers?

[YT]SmEiSSiiwKE[/YT]

Even future human tech is shit compared to an alien civilization the might be 100,000 years more advanced and can travel through worm holes...

their tech would be incomprehensible

Back