Someone please explain to me (logically) the hype over Al Iaquinta

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
I am not trying to be a dick, but I just don't get it. Whenever Al's name is brought up, about 75% of Sherdog regards him as elite, an uncrowned top five fighter who is just short of an opportunity to fuck people up at the top. Before he fought Khabib, a plethora of people said he was going to KO him, afterwards, he's just a real estate agent.

I genuinely don't understand where the hype for Al comes from, because it is certainly not his body of work. This man has 2 fights since 2015. A 50-43 loss where he literally didn't have a moment of offense in 25 minutes, and a KO win over Diego Sanchez who is the Jake Ellenberger of the lightweight division. Was it the win over Masvidal that people think he's elite? This win?
Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 8.17.04 AM.png

More media thought Masvidal won all three rounds than Al won two or more.

If you take Masvidal out of the equation, his best wins are Pearson and Lauzon (who have respectively been carried out more than Chinese food and neither are ranked) or a UFC debuting Kevin Lee by decision.

Somebody please fill me in logically on why he gets elite status?

nobody has even posted about this guy in weeks. wtf r u talking about?

Great defensive wrestling, good boxing, good jiu jitsu, good cardio and heart. He has a win over Kevin Lee. He was supposed to get destroyed by Khabib, he survived the ground game and held in there for 5 rounds eventhough was only prepared for 3. He would give problems to anyone in the LW.

But the main reason most people on here like him is that he is game and talks shit about Dana and the UFC.

His main problem is he is not active enough. His knee injuries and a contract that doesn't motivate him enough have prevented him from fighting more often.

Last edited:
I don't think he's hyped up around here. He's entertaining and genuine, and people seem to respect that. No one gave him a chance vs. Khabib, but he managed to not get finished. I don't see a strap in his future, but he's a solid 5-10 LW.

I am not trying to be a dick, but I just don't get it. Whenever Al's name is brought up, about 75% of Sherdog regards him as elite, an uncrowned top five fighter who is just short of an opportunity to fuck people up at the top. Before he fought Khabib, a plethora of people said he was going to KO him, afterwards, he's just a real estate agent.

I genuinely don't understand where the hype for Al comes from, because it is certainly not his body of work. This man has 2 fights since 2015. A 50-43 loss where he literally didn't have a moment of offense in 25 minutes, and a KO win over Diego Sanchez who is the Jake Ellenberger of the lightweight division. Was it the win over Masvidal that people think he's elite? This win?
View attachment 427675

More media thought Masvidal won all three rounds than Al won two or more.

If you take Masvidal out of the equation, his best wins are Pearson and Lauzon (who have respectively been carried out more than Chinese food and neither are ranked) or a UFC debuting Kevin Lee by decision.

Somebody please fill me in logically on why he gets elite status?
The wins you name are legit, and he managed to hang with Khabib far longer than anyone expected. He did have his chances in that fight even.

What’s your point?

Nobody ever said he was gonna win a belt, just that he’s better than most in the division. Also people enjoy his style and his Twitter outbursts. He’s not really ‘hyped’ by anybody. Just a guy people enjoy seeing. Leave it at that.

Someone please explain to me (logically) why TS started this thread.

He's with a great camp with Serra, Longo, and Weidman (who was champ during Al's early UFC days) that's why he has been talked about, and also has an exposure with his TUF stint where he was a finalist. Has great boxing and is a game fighter. But he's been around for 5 years. I don't get it why you think there's hype around him lately. I'm guessing you only heard about him when he stepped up against Khabib.

Lost me at “majority of media thought”.

That shit means nothing. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. Does not matter in the least what some guy from bleacherreport or bloodyelbow thought.

I dunno he won me as a fan when he snapped at the booing crowd LOL.

He's with a great camp with Serra, Longo, and Weidman (who was champ during Al's early UFC days) that's why he has been talked about, and also has an exposure with his TUF stint where he was a finalist. Has great boxing and is a game fighter. But he's been around for 5 years. I don't get it why you think there's hype around him lately. I'm guessing you only heard about him when he stepped up against Khabib.
Yeah that’s definitely it... not.

I’m talking about every time his name is brought up against a top tier opponent. Khabib (before the fight), Ferguson, at the moment Aldo, there are a good amount of people who assume al walks through them by ko.

I discussed with a guy yesterday that said although lee has improved, that al was still twice the skilled fighter that lee was. I don’t get it. I just want to understand why people esteem his skills so highly.

People are fans of random guys but most don’t get that much credit.

He's a fringe top 10/15 capable of giving a fight to anyone. Good hands, decent all around game and got that chip on his shoulder that makes him agressive in a good way.

Never seen anyone say that he's elite so I dont know wth you're talking about.

I don't think he's hyped up around here. He's entertaining and genuine, and people seem to respect that. No one gave him a chance vs. Khabib, but he managed to not get finished. I don't see a strap in his future, but he's a solid 5-10 LW.
I disagree, hespectfully ;)

When he was going to fight Khabib, I was shocked at how many people thought he was going to win by KO. It wasn’t until after that al went from prime contender to “Khabib beat a real estate agent.”

There is zero hype behind Al Iaquinta.

Lost me at “majority of media thought”.

That shit means nothing. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. Does not matter in the least what some guy from bleacherreport or bloodyelbow thought.
So you think Diego Sanchez beat Ross Pearson?

I mostly remember that Joe Rogan was hyping him up big time a few years back (more so than he does with most fighters). I never really saw what the big deal was myself, and I don't think too many others did either.

He's a fringe top 10/15 capable of giving a fight to anyone. Good hands, decent all around game and got that chip on his shoulder that makes him agressive in a good way.

Never seen anyone say that he's elite so I dont know wth you're talking about.
I definitely have. I agree with all the things you said.

But take for example Dan Hooker. He’s a good fighter, with good boxing, all around game, etc. I consider him and Al to be of similar worth at the moment until one or both breakthrough.

When someone mentioned Hooker-Ferguson, they got roasted. When someone mentioned Ferguson-Al, a lot of people (not just fan boys) were calling al by KO.

There’s a thread right now where people are saying he’d KO Aldo. I’m not saying these things wouldn’t happen, I’m just trying to understand why he gets so much credit in these high level matchups.

Back