Someone please explain to me (logically) the hype over Al Iaquinta

Well Khabib couldn't finish Al on 1 days notice.

According to Sherdog Khabib is some savage killer greatest LW ever or some shit.

So you think Diego Sanchez beat Ross Pearson?

Yes. 3 judges chose Sanchez and if neither fighter finishes the other, that is how a winner is decided. It’s not hard. I don’t understand why people can’t separate disagreement with a decision from disregarding a decision. Diego’s hand was raised. Diego is in the record books as the winner. Diego got paid his win and show money. Doesn’t matter what you or anyone thinks about it. He won.

I am not trying to be a dick, but I just don't get it. Whenever Al's name is brought up, about 75% of Sherdog regards him as elite, an uncrowned top five fighter who is just short of an opportunity to fuck people up at the top. Before he fought Khabib, a plethora of people said he was going to KO him, afterwards, he's just a real estate agent.

I genuinely don't understand where the hype for Al comes from, because it is certainly not his body of work. This man has 2 fights since 2015. A 50-43 loss where he literally didn't have a moment of offense in 25 minutes, and a KO win over Diego Sanchez who is the Jake Ellenberger of the lightweight division. Was it the win over Masvidal that people think he's elite? This win?
View attachment 427675

More media thought Masvidal won all three rounds than Al won two or more.

If you take Masvidal out of the equation, his best wins are Pearson and Lauzon (who have respectively been carried out more than Chinese food and neither are ranked) or a UFC debuting Kevin Lee by decision.

Somebody please fill me in logically on why he gets elite status?

I agree. I think it’s a popularity contest. Al is viewed like some sort of anti-establishment hero rebel. Everything he says and does, no matter how ordinary or wrong, is exalted by his very vocal fan base.

Yes. 3 judges chose Sanchez and if neither fighter finishes the other, that is how a winner is decided. It’s not hard. I don’t understand why people can’t separate disagreement with a decision from disregarding a decision. Diego’s hand was raised. Diego is in the record books as the winner. Diego got paid his win and show money. Doesn’t matter what you or anyone thinks about it. He won.
I get what you’re saying. I truly do.

However, I can also understand the absurdity of a bad decision. Three random people with a notorious lack of understanding of mma are deciding for us who the winner is... who they pick matters.

Their opinion of the fight doesn’t compromise what we know to be the truth. I would have to be KO’d about 30 times by Iaquinta to think Diego beat Pearson. Just because three tomato cans chose him as the winner doesn’t make him the better fighter that night. But that’s my opinion

He put together a 5-fight win streak at lw before the Khabib fight, so he's obviously a good fighter. But as we've seen at lw with guys like Vick and Cerrone, those win streaks don't mean much when it comes time to fight the top guys. He's earned his spot as a bubble top-ten fighter, but nothing else.

Kevin Lee is going to smash him.

I definitely have. I agree with all the things you said.

But take for example Dan Hooker. He’s a good fighter, with good boxing, all around game, etc. I consider him and Al to be of similar worth at the moment until one or both breakthrough.

When someone mentioned Hooker-Ferguson, they got roasted. When someone mentioned Ferguson-Al, a lot of people (not just fan boys) were calling al by KO.

There’s a thread right now where people are saying he’d KO Aldo. I’m not saying these things wouldn’t happen, I’m just trying to understand why he gets so much credit in these high level matchups.
Didnt see the thread but I guess most had T-Ferg and also Aldo. Al is a live dog against those guys since he can compete anywhere it goes and he punch hard enough to put you on queer street. Been there for a long time, has good wins and still young. Nobody would be shocked if he made a run in his next few fights.

As for Hooker, he's on a good run now but still hasnt fought the top dogs. Most of his wins are againts aging vet but he's still a guy we need to watch since he's at LW. He used to be a win/lose fighter but whitout the extreme weight cut, his career took some momentum.

I disagree, hespectfully ;)

When he was going to fight Khabib, I was shocked at how many people thought he was going to win by KO. It wasn’t until after that al went from prime contender to “Khabib beat a real estate agent.”
No one thought he would win. They just thought it would be cool if he did since everyone and their replacments dropped out of that fight the day before.

Didnt see the thread but I guess most had T-Ferg and also Aldo. Al is a live dog against those guys since he can compete anywhere it goes and he punch hard enough to put you on queer street. Been there for a long time, has good wins and still young. Nobody would be shocked if he made a run in his next few fights.

As for Hooker, he's on a good run now but still hasnt fought the top dogs. Most of his wins are againts aging vet but he's still a guy we need to watch since he's at LW. He used to be a win/lose fighter but whitout the extreme weight cut, his career took some momentum.
Yeah I agree, hooker and Al both have potential.

I think the guy above me articulated what I meant better than I did. Al has a large and very vocal fan base, despite not being a draw and not fighting frequently.

I guess I don’t understand why.

No one thought he would win. They just thought it would be cool if he did since everyone and their replacments dropped out of that fight the day before.
Idk... I heard all this shit about his superior wrestling to his past opponents and more effective boxing as well.

I don't know if hype is the right word, but i believe he promises to get you 10% above asking for your New York area home..... Wait? Was this an MMA thing?

I disagree, hespectfully ;)

When he was going to fight Khabib, I was shocked at how many people thought he was going to win by KO. It wasn’t until after that al went from prime contender to “Khabib beat a real estate agent.”
Those were all Conor :eek::eek::eek:s first hoping Al would knock Khabib out of the title picture then coping with Khabib's dominant 50-43 and outstriking Al like 1000000-10

IMO his personality is really fun but I’ve never been excited to watch him fight. I think he used to knock guys out before he got into the upper 10-15ish of the world, I honestly don’t remember without googling it.

Well Khabib couldn't finish Al on 1 days notice.

According to Sherdog Khabib is some savage killer greatest LW ever or some shit.
Khabib was purposely using the fight as a personal sparring match and testing his 5 round cardio. This is common knowledge you dork

You wanna know why the hype? Because the douchebag mma media only covers drama or when a fighter starts complaining about their employer. It’s the same typical mainstream media model the news spews. Mma media is not creative or catering to people interested in fighting, but rather the turds interested in drama.

I get what you’re saying. I truly do.

However, I can also understand the absurdity of a bad decision. Three random people with a notorious lack of understanding of mma are deciding for us who the winner is... who they pick matters.

Their opinion of the fight doesn’t compromise what we know to be the truth. I would have to be KO’d about 30 times by Iaquinta to think Diego beat Pearson. Just because three tomato cans chose him as the winner doesn’t make him the better fighter that night. But that’s my opinion

Again, better fighter is subjective. Winner is objective. The rules of the game are those 3 tomato cans choose the winner if neither fighter finishes the other. Great example of why they should reform the rules, improve judges training, selection etc. but it doesn’t effect the result.

He was seen as a prospect with the potential to be a contender when he came up. Some of it had to do with Team Serra/Longo's success at the time with Weidman, Costa and Sterling looking good/promising.

That carried over through his inactive years. And the KO vs Diego in his return helped that notion. He's a good fighter, but few call him elite. An elite fighter is p4p top 10 material.

Just looked at Al Iaquinta's record since joining UFC.
It is overrated. I think people love Al mainly for his entertaining rants. I feel half the time he comes across like a petty negative whiny little bitch so I don't find them as entertaining personally.
Considering how many killers aren't even in the top 15 of LW, Al is someone who probably should be lower down.
This is the problem with rankings. A lot of fighters sit on their spot and play politics until and ideal fight comes their way (or they run out of money and become desperate).
Nate Diaz shouldn't even be in the top 15.

Iaquinta is just Gaethje with more skill but without the power. Stand square, no head movement, hold my hands up and eat shots....... he is still a legit fighter who will body cans and I will not be surprised to see him beat Kevin Lee again just from how good his takedown defense is. But he probably ducked Gaethje because he knew what that happened to James Vick would have happened to him.

I am not trying to be a dick, but I just don't get it. Whenever Al's name is brought up, about 75% of Sherdog regards him as elite, an uncrowned top five fighter who is just short of an opportunity to fuck people up at the top. Before he fought Khabib, a plethora of people said he was going to KO him, afterwards, he's just a real estate agent.

I genuinely don't understand where the hype for Al comes from, because it is certainly not his body of work. This man has 2 fights since 2015. A 50-43 loss where he literally didn't have a moment of offense in 25 minutes, and a KO win over Diego Sanchez who is the Jake Ellenberger of the lightweight division. Was it the win over Masvidal that people think he's elite? This win?
View attachment 427675

More media thought Masvidal won all three rounds than Al won two or more.

If you take Masvidal out of the equation, his best wins are Pearson and Lauzon (who have respectively been carried out more than Chinese food and neither are ranked) or a UFC debuting Kevin Lee by decision.

Somebody please fill me in logically on why he gets elite status?
I've never heard ANYONE refer to Al as elite, I think you're just imagining things.

He is recognized as a skilled fighter, but not hyped as the next goat by any means.

The majority of love you'll see him receiving is due to his outspoken viewpoints on the UFC's treatment of it's fighters and Dana White's big fucking mouth, which is understandable.

Dana is scum, and UFC has shit policies and practices, so speaking out against them garners him fan appreciation.

Back