Some Comparisons between Conor vs Aldo in GIFS (Big discrepancy in Skill,IQ,Defense)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxingislife

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IMPORTANT EDIT:
For some reason a mod decided to lump all my previous threads into this thread with no regard for proper contexts.

Go to page 23 to read what was supposed to be the OP to this thread title (which was comparing Conor to Aldo and breaking it all down) Here is a quick link to it:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?p=108143629#post108143629

This up coming post was another thread I made a long time ago about how Conor's ractions/ counters are so fast you need gifs to see them. I broke all that down too. But again, for some reason a mod just lazily lumped all my previous threads into this thread. This thread title was supposed to only be about breaking down Conor to Aldo and yet some how my specific Conor vs Mendes breakdowns were lumped in here, and some how the real OP to this thread title is on page 23. Its a big mess. You can thank the "sherdog mods." Truly a great job

GargantuanFlakyBaldeagle.gif

To the untrained, uneducated, ignorant eye:

"All I see is both missing but Mendes coming forward and landing. Left hook. Mendes won that sequence"

Even when Mendes big power right hands missed due to Conor's movement/range control "oh ahh, Mendes is landing bombs derp"

Below is what actually happened:

2mdp4ph.gif

Here is the longer version:
WatchfulIllinformedKitty.gif

- Conor feeling Mendes out with lead hand probes and easily beating Mendes explosion with exquisite timing

-Conor turning his shoulder in off that left (beautiful technique) which allows Conor to slide Mendes right hand cleanly off his shoulder/back. Pre-emptive defensive responsibility by Conor. Just beautiful legit boxing by Conor. Great offence has built in defense

- Only shot Mendes is able to get through is a meager left hook with little force behind it. You can clearly see Conor bracing for it in anticipation and moving with it to take off some of the force from it

Again, heres who landed the best shot of that sequence:

2mdp4ph.gif

BTW, watch the original gif to see how it all starts with Conor's lead hand probes via the sophistication of his lead hand game. You can also read my full breakdown of the sequence from start to complete end here: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/criminally-under-rated-defense-conor-mcgregor-1-gif-3032869/

That explosion from Mendes was Mendes best moment, and yet Conor still landed the best shot. It lands clean across Mendes' eye socket as Mendes comes in, thus a collision, while Conor also makes Mendes miss badly on 2 of 3. Such under rated defense by Conor too.

Again, Mendes best moment=Conor still distates, controls, and wins it, cliping Mendes while making Mendes miss BADLY on 2 of 3. Conor's skills are on an entirely other level

Important to note Mendes ate that sublime counter left from Conor to get off. It was Mendes relying on his chin, and or being saved by his chin. Mendes couldnt keep taking lefts from Conor though, hence him breaking (in conjuction with brutal body work)

How many wouldve even known about that counter landing from Conor if it had never been pointed out? Most certainly missed it live.

Here is the point of this thread:

Conor is so skilled, so sharp, and so mentally fast to make his reads, react and beat opponents to the punch, that you will not see some of Conor's counters landing live!

You need slow mo replays and gifs just to see some of Conor's timed counters landing lol!

You need slow mo replays and gifs accompanied by breakdowns just so newbs can see and understand the utter brilliance and technical mastery of Conor!

Again, its not even in contention, Conor is simply on another level when it comes to skill and IQ, compared to everyone else in MMA.

Remember, Its those same explosions from Mendes that Aldo could not stop. Yet Conor snufs out Mendes explosion with lead hand probes, reads, reacts, easily beats with superior timing, and then neutralizes, still winning the sequence over all via effectiveness, defensive responsibility and control while having landed the best shot.

p.s
Just wanted to add my post from page 19 to the OP:

EDITED IN said:
Look at how Conor starts to reach out with his right hand to try to parry/check/swat down the left hook before it comes. Amazing awareness and anticipation by Conor. He manages to place his check hand on Mendes bicep...and it wouldve made for an other wordly sequence on Conor's part if Conor couldve actually then swatted down/checked down Mendes left hook after clipping him and rolling his right hand off his shoulder (and Conor wouldve done it with big boxing gloves too and it wouldve made for a Mortal Kombat flawless victory) but with these small gloves and Mendes just widely swinging with speed and power, it got through. A shame

I mean if Conor shot the left and then had preemptively ducked right after, he could have avoided both the right and the left, but after turning his shoulder in and shoulder rolling the right from Mendes...look at the positions, there's pretty much nothing else Conor couldve done but stay close to smoother, anticipate and move with it to deaden, which Conner did all of. Conor is simply brilliant, aware at all times, and adjusts no matter what, literally and figuratively always rolling with the punches. This is the kind of IQ you will never see from anyone else in MMA.

I don't see how anyone looking at that sequence can still not be amazed. People aren't understanding the caliber of fighter Mendes is and that what Conor was still able to do to him during his best moment; feeling him out, timing him, clipping him, making him miss 2 of 3, neutralizing, and still end winning the exchange, is unreal. Conor is simply on another level to everyone else in MMA in skill and IQ

Conor is MMA's first REAL STRIKING SAVANT

Last edited:
You really need to come up with some new material man

i just blasted my pants wide open on both sides

Mendes landed some good shots. Lost the fight, obvi, but showed that McG is very hittable.

We'll see what Aldo can do.

Conor really needs to put restraining orders on some of you sherdoggers. Ppl like TS are scary individuals who could end up stabbing Conor if he disappoints them in some way during a meet and greet.

u got rekt in the last thread m8 why copy paste a new one

What the hell are you talking about lol everyone in the room I was in Ooo'd when that shot landed. It was clear as day that Connor Landed hard albeit not flush.

Its not hard to realize Connor has like 10 inches on Mendes. He saw that Hook coming form a mile away.

Mendes was kicking his ass for a good portion of the fight. He was just too gassed out to evade McGregor's last salvo.

Chad walks through the short jab and blast Conor with a left...

What was I suppose to see here? That Conor threw a pillow?

Conor has fast hands when countering, yep. But he gets hit. He chanced his chin against Mendes, and lucked out, but that shit catches up to you, ask Anderson.

Very few people in the UFC have the reaction/fast twitch response that Aldo has though.

I feel like I shouldn't even be able to see your threads since you're on my ignore list.

Oh well.

Mendes was kicking his ass for a good portion of the fight. He was just too gassed out to evade McGregor's last salvo.

No, he wasn't. And he wasn't gassed, his organs were being re-arranged.

Conor's implementing what Bruce Lee taught many years ago - throw straights.

Conor launches his straights down the pipe once he see's Mendes begin to plant and turn his hips....telegraphing - easy to learn easy to master.....work on it young bucks coming up.

No, he wasn't. And he wasn't gassed, his organs were being re-arranged.

Yes, he was. Landing big shots and nearly taking him down at will. And yes, he did gas actually. Not surprising since he had a short camp and didn't even get the confirmation of fighting McGregor until like 5 days before the fight.

I'm sure chad, who has the reach of a T. rex, is used the the reality that in order for him to land, he might have to eat one to get inside...this isn't a new concept and not limited to Conor.

Dc had to eat one to get into clinch distance with Jon and allow himself the ability to blast Jones with his own upper cuts.

Don't bother with sherdoggers. They think mendes was doing great. He was getting butchered on the feet and on the floor.

Mendes landed some good shots. Lost the fight, obvi, but showed that McG is very hittable.
We'll see what Aldo can do.
Mendes landed about 5 CLEAN shots on the feet against Conor. Only 1 with any kind of real impact.

Conor showed under rated defense.

Mendes tagged Aldo more in 2 munites of their fight, then he was ever able to tag Conor across 2 rounds

Theres another instance that displayed the discrepancy in skill.

Against Aldo, Mendes would fake a level change or fake shot, then uppercut off it. That same set up landed repeatedly on Aldo lol. Aldo never picked up on it or adjusted and stood paralyzed from his feet every time biting on the fake and eating the uppercut every time.

NOW when Mendes tried the same set up against Conor. Conor reacted to the level change and simply hopped back to avoid lol. It was that easy. Conor doesnt let others dictate to him. If anyone can gif it it would be appreciated

Aldo and Mendes got into a rhythm of, " I explode then you explode"

Aldo and Mendes are explosive fighters who always go that same one speed. Its why they were perfect for each other to fight and make a war.

Conor doesnt allow that. He sets up, makes his read, reacts quicker to the draw, beats then avoids. Conor is too skilled, too slick, too versatile, changes up his speeds and tempo too well, timing too good etc etc etc

Dont be suprised when Conor makes it look even easier against Aldo. Mendes shot TDs to stay alive. Aldo wont unless hes already hurt

Last edited:
74: Total strikes landed by McGregor. By comparison, Mendes landed 36. The SBG Ireland product outlanded his foe 28 to 16 in round one and 46 to 20 in round two. McGregor also held a 46-to-31 edge in significant strikes.

Chad didn't do much of anything with his takedowns in round 1, except use Conor standing up to land half of his significant strikes. Yes, he was winning the 2nd round until Conor got to his feet and started blasting him. But, had it gone to a third, Conor would have stolen the round by nearly finishing Chad. Chad landed like 3 or 4 good elbows in the 2nd, but most of his stuff was just grazing.

Edit: Bolded is the official Sherdog by the numbers.
Another by the numbers

4: Takedowns landed, in seven attempts by Mendes. McGregor had not been taken down in his previous five UFC appearances. 3 of which Conor escaped back to his feet before Mendes could do anything. One of which happened near the end of the round where Mendes did nothing.

Lmao your slowmo gifs clearly show that conor's shot glanced across the front of mendes' face. No real impact as displayed by lack of recoil by mendes' head.

I like Conor's fighting style but your post is trash, TS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back