Solo BJJ training

I have a grappling dummy. I admit it. It looks stupid. It looks gay. It is embarrassing.

BUT, it works. You can drill over and over techniques that will make you better on the mat. For example, I could never get a straight footlock. I drilled it one morning for 30 minutes straight. That night at class, I hit it a couple times. I have seen new moves that in books that I wanted to get in my game. I practiced on the dummy in the morning and then hit the new moves at class the same night. I figure I would rather feel and look stupid at home than feel and look stupid in training.

I admit it. It does look stupid.

I have a grappling dummy. I admit it. It looks stupid. It looks gay. It is embarrassing.

BUT, it works. You can drill over and over techniques that will make you better on the mat. For example, I could never get a straight footlock. I drilled it one morning for 30 minutes straight. That night at class, I hit it a couple times. I have seen new moves that in books that I wanted to get in my game. I practiced on the dummy in the morning and then hit the new moves at class the same night. I figure I would rather feel and look stupid at home than feel and look stupid in training.

I admit it. It does look stupid.

Swinging at baseballs in a batting cage all day looks pretty stupid too, until you step up to the plate in a game and blast a home run. I see grappling dummies as the same type of practice.

Back