• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So when did Nate Diaz lose his motivation in the sport?

He went from the main event to opening the card against someone like Barboza

Probably thought it wasn't worth it after a big win

I don't see McGregor giving up on the Nate rematch. Nate's paid his dues, so if he only fights McGregor for the rest of his career, good for him.

TS, do not say "no nothing". Double negatives are not worth using.

Now that he got a taste of a big money fight, he only wants that now, even though he really is in no position to turn down fights.

He got a taste of that Anderson Silva money, playboy. Truthfully, Nate isn't good enough to win a title, but he is good enough to beat Conor and make a pile of cash doing it. Why would he want to get the shit kicked out of him for less money when he could hold out for an easier fight that would fetch him as much as he's made in his whole career?

The bottom line is Nate knows he will get paid more for his rematch than he will in ANY other 5 fights so why wouldn't he hold out?

Wtf do you mean TS!?? Everyone would do the same. Against McG he made 500K, and I am sure he was promised the same or even a little bit more the next time. Normally he makes 20k+20k.

It makes absolutely no sense for Nate to fight anyone else. Even if he waited 12 months he would still make more money in that one fight with connor than he would taking 4 other fights before.

Yes a little bit.

Nate admitted it himself. He's not motivated to become a champion or fight the best and stuff like that. Just money. Understandable, but the fan in me miss the old nate (and nick)

Be careful when you throw around the word "retarded". In this case, you clearly don't know shit.
All he stated is "big fights" so he does want the best and big money for it.

Why not wait? He knows he'll probably beat McGregor again, get a big paycheck, and it sets him up for another big money fight. If he fights someone else and loses, he lost the relatively easy McGregor money.

This just came to me: UFC 209 in Stockton. Nick will be ready to go by then, and you can have the whole scrap pack fighting in it. Maybe against Ireland.. if that doesnt' motivate Nate then nothing will. I want credit for this idea when it is inevitably used. :D

I think he got pissed off cashing $20k cheques and saw his brother making bank by playing hardball. You have to admit the strategy works, if he kept taking on all comers no matter what he would still be broke.

This just came to me: UFC 209 in Stockton. Nick will be ready to go by then, and you can have the whole scrap pack fighting in it. Maybe against Ireland.. if that doesnt' motivate Nate then nothing will. I want credit for this idea when it is inevitably used. :D

Lol I like it. Do they have a suitable arena in Stockton?
Come to think of it no way the UFC are giving individual fighters this kind of exposure. Would be good though.

During the contract negotiations 2013-2014, he was actuallt afraid of being dropped by the UFC after losing to dos Anjos, Nate was like 1-3 after that so I would have been worried too.

First this happened:

Rory_MacDonald_vs._Nate_Diaz_9.gif

Then he lost it.

I'd be doing the same thing in Nate's position. Try put pressure on UFC to reinstate the McGregor fight, sure you are giving up a possible lucrative fight at 200 against someone else but if it increased the chances of getting a McGregor fight for much bigger money its worth the gamble.

One more McGregor fight and he'll probably have enough money where he never has to work a day in his life again.

He doesn't wanna fight Lawler because that's a huge fight for Nick.

Also, it's a little delusional to think just because you beat the current FW champ that means you're ready to take on the WW champ.

The last guy that thought that got beat up in his warm-up fight and retired young.

He doesn't wanna fight Lawler because that's a huge fight for Nick.

I don't even think he get the privilege to do it. The reason he's famous because of McGregor. If his next fight isn't against McGregor, i bet he won't even be in the co-main event on PPVs fight.

when he became a millionaire

A few of the guys have already mentioned it, but it bears repeating:

It's on record from both Diaz boys that they don't necessarily enjoy fighting. They love bjj, they love the training, the community, their gym and their crew but if they didn't have to fight for the money, they wouldn't.

In Nate's case, he probably literally got paid 20x to fight McGregor what he did to kick the everloving shit out of Michael Johnson for 15 minutes. Neither Diaz is educated worth a fuck, but they aren't stupid. One more red panty night with McGregor and Nate never needs to work again. He might not necessarily need to right now.

But I thoroughly expect that if the rematch happens, win OR lose, Nate would take his gigantic Sweepstakes cardboard check, cash it and ride off into a hazy sunset.

Back