So whats the deal with Ryan Hall?

Ouch. I hope Ruben heals up soon. He's got a lot of talent.

Ryan let him out of a few locked in heel hooks from 50/50 in their match to avoid hurting him. Did the same thing with the guy in the previous match (at 4:43, 4:54, 5:24): YouTube - Ryan Hall vs Isac Chaves No-Gi Battle at Grapplers Quest 2010 Beast of the East. I guess Hector didn't feel like being as gentle.

Note that he just lets go when the guy doesn't tap (and seems to be moving in slo-mo). It cost him the match against Ruben (aside from the bad scoring where he should've won on points anyway).

He wasn't quite as nice in the final of the ADCC trials: YouTube - Ryan Hall vs. Ryan Lang ADCC trials

or here: YouTube - Ryan Hall (Fifty/50 BJJ) v. Team Link

Anyway, I guess that the elite-level guys who compete at local tournaments don't treat the matches there like it's the final of the Mundial even though everyone is trying to make a name off of them. But if they take it easy on someone it can get left up to bad refs and they may end up with a loss they wouldn't have if they were just there to smash everyone.

Like Drew said, it seems like a lose-lose.

ryan could have finished that match several times... ruben needs to learn to tap top heel hooks and not rely on his knee flexibility so much

Ryan let him out of a few locked in heel hooks from 50/50 in their match to avoid hurting him. Did the same thing with the guy in the previous match (at 4:43, 4:54, 5:24): YouTube - Ryan Hall vs Isac Chaves No-Gi Battle at Grapplers Quest 2010 Beast of the East. I guess Hector didn't feel like being as gentle.

Note that he just lets go when the guy doesn't tap (and seems to be moving in slo-mo). It cost him the match against Ruben (aside from the bad scoring where he should've won on points anyway).

He wasn't quite as nice in the final of the ADCC trials: YouTube - Ryan Hall vs. Ryan Lang ADCC trials

Anyway, I guess that the elite-level guys who compete at local tournaments don't treat the matches there like it's the final of the Mundial even though everyone is trying to make a name off of them. But if they take it easy on someone it can get left up to bad refs and they may end up with a loss they wouldn't have if they were just there to smash everyone.

Do you honestly think that Ryan attempted that inverted heel-hook three times only to let go each time because he didn't want to injure his opponent?

Why would he do it a second and third time if he had to release it the first time? He just wanted to rack up advantages?

Do you honestly think that Ryan attempted that inverted heel-hook three times only to let go each time because he didn't want to injure his opponent?

Why would he do it a second and third time if he had to release it the first time? He just wanted to rack up advantages?

that's not a preposterous suggestion, seeing as how he's a fifty50 player.

Kind off of topic....but does anybody know how tall Ryan Hall is?

He looks kind of short in his vids but I thought that might be deceiving...

hes a few inches taller than me, and im 5'8". I'd say hes close to 5'11".

I specifically asked him, actually. He's hurt plenty of people in the past--not on purpose, but because they wouldn't tap--and said he's over it at anything other than ADCC or against a high-level black belt. Something like, "what's the point of hurting less experienced people who don't know any better and are too stubborn for their own good? Not for me anymore."

My understanding is that when you've won GQ advanced 7x or something like that (submitting all his opponents each time), it's just not that big a deal to you anymore. I imagine that it's the same reason you don't see the top black belts competing in lower-level tournaments. It's just not that important to them, but for their opponents, it's like the Olympics.

Bora y,

I'm pretty sure that something like 90% of Ryan's wins have come by submission. I don't think that he's the type to stall out for advantages. He always yells at us for that sh!t in class and at tournaments, too :icon_chee

hall is a sick grappler though he did lose to my buddy Ruben Alvarez @ GQ

I like when people don't read threads and just reply.

2 things:

1. Ryan said that the motivation once you get to black belt to go all out on a reverse heel-hook in anything that's not ADCC isn't as strong.

2. Think about the trials. That was to get to the biggest no-gi event in the world. The motivation to finish IS strong in that situation.

3. I dunno if the guy in the 3rd video got hurt or not, but many people yell after heel-hooks out of fear, not necessarily that they are injured. I'm not saying the guy didn't get hurt, just that who knows?

Yes, I honestly believe that due to comments he's openly made.

that's not a preposterous suggestion, seeing as how he's a fifty50 player.

Ryan doesn't stall in the 50/50. It's all about the player, not the guard. He's not the type to try to win by points or advantages.

5'10-5'11

I specifically asked him, actually. He's hurt plenty of people in the past--not on purpose, but because they wouldn't tap--and said he's over it at anything other than ADCC or against a high-level black belt. Something like, "what's the point of hurting less experienced people who don't know any better and are too stubborn for their own good? Not for me anymore."

My understanding is that when you've won GQ advanced 7x or something like that (submitting all his opponents each time), it's just not that big a deal to you anymore. I imagine that it's the same reason you don't see the top black belts competing in lower-level tournaments. It's just not that important to them, but for their opponents, it's like the Olympics.

This is what he told me. I wouldn't have said it on here if I didn't read a 50/50 student posting the same thing. This is dead-on.

On a side note: Why do people think it is that Ryan no longer posts matches up? If you haven't noticed, the only new Ryan Hall matches that pop up on Youtube are uploaded by Grappler's Quest or ones uploaded by his opponents. At some point, it's time to stop giving your opponents ammo. Like someone said earlier, his focus is on the Worlds and ADCC.

drew,
Maybe it's because before he needed the hype to build his name up. Now he doesn't need the pub.

drew,
Maybe it's because before he needed the hype to build his name up. Now he doesn't need the pub.

It's honestly not about publicity. He wants to win. Lloyd used to put up all of his matches, and since he's gone from Lloyd's, there's not nearly as much out there, since Lloyd took most of it down. Also, as I said, more videos means more ammo for the competition which is not as big of a deal at blue and purple, but is a big deal at black belt, especially after your game changes.

Ryan is so good at the triangle or "Ryangle" it's ridiculous.

I dont no him im from brasil, isnt he the guy cobrinha beats on youtube?

ruben needs to learn to tap top heel hooks and not rely on his knee flexibility so much

I bet that knee won't be as flexible after those two broken bones. Live and learn.
Instead of tapping, now he has to be out of training for some time and I am sure that leg will not feel the same.

Seems like a talented kid and now things might be going downhill, just because of being stubborn.

Ryan Hall blinks a lot...to the point to where it's mildly distracting. You guys ever notice that?

Back