So whats the deal with Ryan Hall?

i guess. Actually what i meant to say was that "i can't ever see ryan consistantly beating mendes". He just doesn't have the physical tools for it. Both have amazing technique but i don't think that ryan is half the athlete that mendes is.

this thread is gonna get legit. I like it .

Also, one of the reasons he became famous (or infamous?) in the BJJ community is because he competed constantly as a blue and purple belt and got over 200 submissions by triangle choke, and he and his instructor Lloyd Irvin made a website to sell instructional videos on the triangle choke along with his competition footage, and did constant mass e-mailings to advertise it. They called his triangle choke the "Ryangle" and named their website "Ryangle University" (lol). The site doesn't exist anymore though.

I think this answers my question.

Thanks All!

hot damn that back take against Hermes Franca was insane

He actually started training in NYC at Ronin Ath. in NYC and then moved on to Lloyd Irvin's

My purple belt buddy Ruben Alvarez beat Ryan Hall at Grapplers quest in the Absolute Finals.

Ruben is a 19 year old wiz kid though in BJJ trains out of fight sports south beach.

My purple belt buddy Ruben Alvarez beat Ryan Hall at Grapplers quest in the Absolute Finals.

Ruben is a 19 year old wiz kid though in BJJ trains out of fight sports south beach.

The scoring in that match was awful. Hall got screwed.

DOH! ^ :icon_lol:

Hahaha :icon_chee

But seriously, Grapplers Quest has pretty awful referees a lot of the time. I think it's a big reason that a lot of high-level guys don't like to compete there anymore.

Hahaha :icon_chee

But seriously, Grapplers Quest has pretty awful referees a lot of the time. I think it's a big reason that a lot of high-level guys don't like to compete there anymore.

This is true. Also a lot of high-level people have to compete against lesser names looking to get a big name under their belt and they risk being injured by a hyper aggressive opponent, which can keep them out of the Worlds, ADCC, Pan-Ams, etc. It's kind of a lose-lose. If Cobrinha wins GQuest, well he was supposed to. If he loses, then it's a huge deal, and he could get hurt in the process.

It is not the money.

The top BJJ guys can do a lot more just doing seminars instead of competing.

It is about the fame of getting medals from major competitions.

GQ! not really.

I saw that fight in person, and I wouldn't say he beat Ryan, the scoring was kind of iffy. That being said, Ruben was in the 50/50 almost the whole match (I think he even initiated it) He defended Ryan's offense well, and had some good attempts as well. Also Ryan's strategy was very good in that match, Ruben has got some skills though obviously.

I saw that fight in person, and I wouldn't say he beat Ryan, the scoring was kind of iffy. That being said, Ruben was in the 50/50 almost the whole match (I think he even initiated it) He defended Ryan's offense well, and had some good attempts as well. Also Ryan's strategy was very good in that match, Ruben has got some skills though obviously.

you heard what happen to ruben at his last tournament right? hector lombard broke through both bones in his lower leg. he's out for a while... almost allowed to walk without crutches. It's not every day a 19 year old could hang with black belts.

you heard what happen to ruben at his last tournament right? hector lombard broke through both bones in his lower leg. he's out for a while... almost allowed to walk without crutches. It's not every day a 19 year old could hang with black belts.

Ouch. I hope Ruben heals up soon. He's got a lot of talent.

Ryan let him out of a few locked in heel hooks from 50/50 in their match to avoid hurting him. Did the same thing with the guy in the previous match (at 4:43, 4:54, 5:24): YouTube - Ryan Hall vs Isac Chaves No-Gi Battle at Grapplers Quest 2010 Beast of the East. I guess Hector didn't feel like being as gentle.

Note that he just lets go when the guy doesn't tap (and seems to be moving in slo-mo). It cost him the match against Ruben (aside from the bad scoring where he should've won on points anyway).

He wasn't quite as nice in the final of the ADCC trials: YouTube - Ryan Hall vs. Ryan Lang ADCC trials

or here: YouTube - Ryan Hall (Fifty/50 BJJ) v. Team Link

Anyway, I guess that the elite-level guys who compete at local tournaments don't treat the matches there like it's the final of the Mundial even though everyone is trying to make a name off of them. But if they take it easy on someone it can get left up to bad refs and they may end up with a loss they wouldn't have if they were just there to smash everyone.

Like Drew said, it seems like a lose-lose.

No I didn't that's unfortunate, he'll be back his leg locks are really good, seen him catch lots of dudes with them.

Back