So whats the deal with Ryan Hall?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by gocubs1815, Oct 9, 2010.

1. gocubs1815

gocubs1815 Black Belt

Serious question, not being a dick or trying to troll.

I keep seeing his name pop up on the forums, I know he's a BJJ practitioner, I see a few vids on YouTube. But what is the significants of this guy? I don't see a web page or wiki page to clue me in. So whats the deal?

2. Lopes

Lopes The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah

I hear he's pretty good or something.

3. NovaUniaoWesty

NovaUniaoWesty Yellow Belt

He's a total badass, no sarcasm at all.

He has medaled (is this a word?) in Mundials, Pan Ams and ADCC

And I'm pretty sure he's the best 50/50 guard player in the world. Not sure about this though...

4. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

He is an extremely good player. If you can't tell from his youtube videos, he has some incredible guard techniques and transitions.
    Also, he is the creator of some of the most thorough instructional videos around. He methodically breaks down details and explains so much about single moves like the triangle or 50/50 guard it could melt your mind if you tried to take it all in at once.

5. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

He's the best non-Brazilian featherweight in BJJ and sub grappling right now.

He started training under Lloyd Irvin but now he runs his own gym, 50/50. There's a list of his achievements on his website: 50/50 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Instructors

6. chino3

chino3 Purple Belt

Lol "significants"

7. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Also, one of the reasons he became famous (or infamous?) in the BJJ community is because he competed constantly as a blue and purple belt and got over 200 submissions by triangle choke, and he and his instructor Lloyd Irvin made a website to sell instructional videos on the triangle choke along with his competition footage, and did constant mass e-mailings to advertise it. They called his triangle choke the "Ryangle" and named their website "Ryangle University" (lol). The site doesn't exist anymore though.

8. joe90210

joe90210 Blue Belt

the mendes brothers are the best 50/50 players in the world

9. Hamsterdam

Hamsterdam Orange Belt

His triangle DVD will totally change how you do your triangle.

10. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

I just got back from visiting Ryan's gym:

50/50 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Ryan Hall got popular through the advertising of Lloyd Irvin when he was a student of Lloyd's. Lloyd used to advertise Ryan as the Triangle machine, and Ryan has had over 200 victories via Triangle, many from the upside-down guard. He split from Lloyd's as a Brown belt and started his own gym, 50/50 BJJ, named after the guard (a term which Ryan also coined). Ryan didn't invent the guard position, but he was the first one to really start calling it the 50/50. As a Purple belt, he started doing a ton of reverse heelhooks from the 50/50 guard, and along with the Triangle, that became of of his go-to submissions.

He's had a lot of haters, because he's been so visible since being a blue belt. Everyone has gotten to see him grow in BJJ in front of the world, which has also given him a disadvantage as a competitor, because there is so much tape on him. Still, he's managed to win, mostly by submission, and went over 3 years undefeated at Grappler's Quest events.

Ryan is now a Black belt and a part of Team Brasa. His game has evolved well beyond the Triangle, upside-down guard, and the 50/50 guard. You can still see a lot of his matches on youtube, even though many were taken down by Lloyd Irvin after the split. Along with Jeff Glover, Ryan is the best American featherweight grappler of all time, and he's probably in the top 3-5 American grapplers alive pound-for-pound. I can say after training with him, that he's developed a way not not ht a ceiling with his training, and he is always improving. He is continuing to evolve with new skillsets, and right now he is becoming an absolute monster at taking the back, as well as fine tuning the Deep Half Guard, the mounted finish of the Darce/Brabo choke, and the Marcelo Guillotine.

He did not place at the Worlds this year, although he did fight Rafael Mendes and lost 2-5. He's the only person to score against Rafael Mendes and not get submitted. Mendes is going to be a huge hurdle for Ryan, and it's going to be fun to see if he can get a win someday. They're both young, and they both have a while to have some great matches with each other.

He has the best way to finish the Triangle choke. Marcelo has even said this, and that once you learn it, you will never Triangle another way:

Here are some of his creds taken off his website:

Over 300 victories in competition (over 275 via submission)
    Over 200 victories in competition via triangle choke
    2009 Abu Dhabi World Championships <65.9kg Bronze Medallist
    2007 Abu Dhabi World Championships Alternate Match Champion
    2009 Abu Dhabi North American West Coast Trials Professional Lightweight Champion
    2009 CBJJ Mundial Bronze Medalist
    2008 CBJJ Mundial Champion
    2007 CBJJ No-Gi Mundial Champion
    2008 CBJJ European Champion
    2008 CBJJ Brasiliero Bronze Medalist
    2007 US Open Champion
    13x Professional Superfight Champion (NAGA, Grapplers Quest, NeverTap, US Grappling, et al)
    #1 RATED Competitor Overall Nationwide for 2006
    #1 RATED Advanced Submission Grappler Nationwide for 2006
    #1 RATED Purple Belt Competitor Nationwide for 2006
    #1 RATED Blue Belt Competitor Nationwide for 2005
    Many times Grapplers Quest, NAGA, U.S. Grappling, Mission Submission Advanced Division Champion
    Many times Grapplers Quest, NAGA, US Grappling Advanced Absolute (open weight) Division Champion

Here are some vids:

11. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Rafael Mendes is the best 50/50 player in the world. Ryan is close.

12. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

A few more current matches:

13. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

14. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

I dont know about that. No doubt the Mendes brothers are very good but I have not seen them use the 50/50 the way Ryan does in no gi. It becomes a really offensive position there.

15. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

There are actually more offensive and defensive options for the 50/50 in the gi, at least according to Hall. I don't know very much about the position, at least in terms of how to use it myself. I understand it when I watch it, I just don't use it. I know you can't heel-hook in the gi, but there are definitely more options in the gi with 50/50.

16. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

My experience with the position is limited at best, I will defer to you because if my memory serves me correctly you were just training with Ryan.

17. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

That's true but I barely use the position as well buddy.

18. bora y

bora y Purple Belt

drew are you sure cobrinha didn't score against rafa mendes?

19. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Excuse me, I meant besides Cobrinha. My bad. Cobrinha has definitely scored on Mendes.

20. nefti

nefti Red Belt

in all honestly i don't see Ryan ever beating mendes...