So what's Charles legacy in LW division history ?

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
charles_oliveira_627417ea64e63_0.jpg

Most submissions in the UFC, across two divisions
Wins over Chandler, Gaethje, Poirier, Dariush, Ferguson...
Lost against Islam and Tsarukyan recently
I would put him in the top 5 behind Khabib, Bendo, Penn, Edgar
But it's a toss up between him guys like Dos Anjos, Melendez, Gomi, Ferguson, Poirier (yes, even though he beat the last two)

Just behind khabib then islam, and if islam beats poirier and arman, he will be behind islam then khabib

The People's LW GOAT.

Not necessarily the best per se, but a kill or be killed fighter that defied the odds to come back and become champ, leaving a wake of broken fighters in the process. He is what we joke about Erik Silva being.

One of the most exciting fighters in MMA history. And one of the few current fighters that's must see TV.

Probably in the 6-10 range. He had some very good wins, but he also had some really bad losses. And he had a couple glaring weaknesses: for much of his career, he was rightfully considered a quitter; and despite all of his submission wins (which were usually caught during scrambles), he's always struggled from bottom position.

Probably in the 6-10 range. He had some very good wins, but he also had some really bad losses. And he had a couple glaring weaknesses: for much of his career, he was rightfully considered a quitter; and despite all of his submission wins (which were usually caught during scrambles), he's always struggled from bottom position.
We're talking LW division here. Not FW where he was too frail

We're talking LW division here. Not FW where he was too frail
People seem to forget that Charles started his UFC career at LW. His losses to Jim Miller, Cowboy, Lamas, and Felder were all at 155. Even if we discount the Miller and Cowboy losses because Charles was so young, the Lamas and Felder fights are bad losses. And against Islam and Arman, he again lost from bottom position.

I always root for Charles. He's a great, exciting fighter. I'd put him in the 6-10 range, which isn't an insult.

Probably top 5-6 lightweight of all time. I’d put Khabib, Penn, Gomi, RDA and Islam over him.
You forgot Frankie and Benson. Especially Frankie with him being 155 lbs in the cage for his career and never cutting weight.

Top 5-10, but for me he is the most exciting LW, possibly of all time, and that is all that matters.

Back