• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So, what's better, leave being in prime like Khabib or retire on the shield like Tony?

Whenever Dana has to have "the talk" with you,you already fucked up,bro.

What is noble about any of that? nothing

I dont think its noble as that.

Anderson spent 10 yrs on a high. I think he hung around because he wanted the high back,of all the time when he was the man. its a drug. You can tell Chuck never wnated to stop.

People dont choose to fight MMA because they are scared of CTE

its just like any other risk,they choose to IGNORE it,and then end up paying the fucking price.

In the end every man takes his choice,when he has had enough.

Then you are left with the rest,who have the choice MADE FOR THEM.

It is always better to make the choice yourself.
Fighting always means different stuff to everybody, I'm sure there are guys motivated by every aspect of it and all the combinations. I believe the sport sacrifices their body and minds and it's the price they pay no matter their goal. But also drugs do that for nothing but an addiction, there is so much that wastes people away. I love watching people reach their potential and is why I watch as a fan, maybe I'm not cynical enough, but to me fighting adds purpose in an otherwise meaningless world.

Fighting always means different stuff to everybody, I'm sure there are guys motivated by every aspect of it and all the combinations. I believe the sport sacrifices their body and minds and it's the price they pay no matter their goal. But also drugs do that for nothing but an addiction, there is so much that wastes people away. I love watching people reach their potential and is why I watch as a fan, maybe I'm not cynical enough, but to me fighting adds purpose in an otherwise meaningless world.
I understand that,but in the question posed...its a VERY easy answer. How can some normie tell Khabib that 29 fights wasnt enough? They cant.

I understand that,but in the question posed...its a VERY easy answer. How can some normie tell Khabib that 29 fights wasnt enough? They cant.
I respect Khabib's decision. We don't know what was happening behind the scenes. If he didn't think he had potential because maybe he was injured or not motivated any more, then there's no reason to keep returning to lose. But also if Khabib still felt he had something in him and could do it, he should've broke the defense record and maybe moved to WW for a double champ opportunity. I think for guys like Khabib or GSP they burn out and have just put in all they could.

I respect Khabib's decision. We don't know what was happening behind the scenes. If he didn't think he had potential because maybe he was injured or not motivated any more, then there's no reason to keep returning to lose. But also if Khabib still felt he had something in him and could do it, he should've broke the defense record and maybe moved to WW for a double champ opportunity. I think for guys like Khabib or GSP they burn out and have just put in all they could.
Nah he doesnt have to do that at all. People just dont seem to understand that hed done so well for himself that his personal life was MORE IMPORTANT than MMA. It goes against all the memes and guys who got $7 in their bank account. In the end they dont like that he found things more imporant than MMA.

His father passed away and people in here literally said it wasnt a good enough excuse to delay a fight with Gaethje. Fuck those people then.

I don't know man, I've never been about money or materialistic stuff. To me it's all about legacy and heart why I love MMA. We don't die with money, all that shit eventually turns worthless, but a legacy like Ali's lasts forever. I respect a Pacquaio resume over a Mayweather, even though Mayweather made more money and took less damage.
Floyd beat more top ranked opponents than Manny and neither finished their career going all out like warriors. Manny fought very safe his last 10 fights

Retire like Jones but without the cheating and roids.

CTE is a real thing and Tony has absorbed a ton of damage in his past 6 loses.
Chronic_Traumatic_Encephalopathy.png

'CTE Is As Fake As The Coronavirus'

Floyd beat more top ranked opponents than Manny and neither finished their career going all out like warriors. Manny fought very safe his last 10 fights
Ehh you're right it's not a great example, but I mean the way Floyd sort of took risk off the table later in his career vs Manny who fought whoever for fun. Mostly opponent selection and how he kept pushing for challenges.

Very few can bring themselves to let go of fame and the attention that comes with it. They typically want to squeeze every last drop out of the well. I can't imagine how difficult it must be. It is the smart, disciplined, and probably humble man that can walk away before the time comes where they are talking the talk but no longer able to walk the walk. I think that is why older men get so frustrated with youth, they don't want to watch a young man under utilize his talents. The old man knows the shortness of it all.

Far, far better to walk away early than too late.

TBH, I believe that the big driving factor behind a majority of the fighters staying active past prime is the financial incentive. Think about it, these guys spend countless hours in training trying to reach top, most likely their in a position of reaching the apex of their earning potential. Khalib was set already, he was in a positionn where didn’t need the income and could still take care of his family, also with the passing of Abdulmanap their was a coaching void needing filled. I’d go out like Beeb’s if in the same situation, if Tony is already financially set and taking fights just because he wants to go out on a a win, that’s on him, there’s a fine line between a washed fighter and a liability to yourself. I didn’t think Tony really looked that bad early on as he dropped Bobby and was competitive, all up until after the eyepoke… it was unfortunate, but that’s fighting.
<Fedor23>

Last edited:
TBH, I believe that the big driving factor behind a majority of the fighters staying active past prime is the financial incentive. Think about it, these guys spend countless hours in training trying to reach top, most likely their in a position of reaching the apex of their earning potential. Khalib was set already, he was in a positionn where didn’t need the income and could still take care of his family, also with the passing of Abdulmanap their was a coaching void needing filled. I’d go out like Beeb’s if in the same situation, if Tony is already financially set and taking fights for just because he wants to go out on a a win, there’s a fine line between a washed fighter and a liability to yourself. I don’t think Tony looked bad as he dropped Bobby and was competitive up until after the eyepokes… it was unfortunate.

I think you are correct for the vast majority of fighters with respect to money. I can't imagine being an average professional fighter in the UFC today. If a fighter's best attribute is "toughness or durability", this is the wrong sport. Tough won't cut it and I wish more trainers, and perhaps they already do, would look their fighters in the eye and tell the truth which for most is you will never make it and you won't earn any money. Please do something else.

Seems like in this sport leaving in your prime results in a lot more love and longevity after your gone.

The guys like Tony just kind of disappear after the long losing streak just like the guys that retire kind of in between the two choices.

It depends on who you are and what people feel.

This isn't my opinion on the question being asked, it's an observation made over time.

Some get praised for going out on top, controlling their narrative, etc. There have been plenty of times where people have said "that guy should've done x,y,z smarter at the end."

Then other guys try to do the same thing and they get called cherry pickers, ducks, other stuff.

So, which way to go out and fully dependent on how much people like you and want to see you get beat, or not.

Leaving in your prime makes people keep talking about you still and what ifs.

Fighting way past your prime and still fighting just makes people plead to retire and could damage your legacy.

Reactions: HHJ
At this point I am almost glad we never got Khabib vs Tony for the sake of Tony's health. Khabib would have smashed his head into the canvas

Reactions: 2EZ
What sort of question is this mang ?

One guy has his life in complete control and will be as in control of his faculties until the day he dies, whilst another has racked up a life changing amount of punishment .

Even in this bobby green fight Tony's head was getting bounced off the canvas... everytime I see tony taking damage these days I just wince

Back