• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So, what's better, leave being in prime like Khabib or retire on the shield like Tony?

I respect the guys who leave it all out there, it's truly giving all they have. Like Anderson Silva could've retired so many times and probably have a better legacy, but still pushed himself and maybe didn't win like he used to but he turned over every stone he could.

CTE is a real thing and Tony has absorbed a ton of damage in his past 6 loses.
Chronic_Traumatic_Encephalopathy.png

You gotta understand...

when your a fighter,you cant hide your most vulnerable state from the global populace...

UNLESS

you retire undefeated. Unless you win EVERYTHING and make so much money you can put two middle fingers in the face of the mundane world. Those who say oh he will lose eventually no matter how good he is and we will laugh when he does. Those who got something to say but you got the FUCK YOU money. SO you can tell anyone in the world to go fuck themselves.

Those want to see you reduced,so you are closer to them,who made no sacrifices and judge from the basement couch.

Those who fought 20 yrs and aint got a pot to piss in,and are too fucked up to even know where the pot is if they found it.

What is the possible benefit of fighting past your prime? You end up with a worse record, several humiliating defeats, CTE and who knows what other negative impacts on your physical health and lifespan. Just for a couple ignorant jackoffs on a karate forum to call you a warrior?

Both messed up their legacies.

Khabib is probably the greatest grappler in MMA history and could have had one of the greatest championship reigns of all time, but he did what was right for his family instead of his legacy. I certainly don't blame him.

Tony probably won't have a legacy the way champions do. He'll be remembered as a fan favorite someday. The fans right now have him on this pedestal because he had some fantastic performances but he never even challenged for the real belt, and he's 50/50 in interim fights. Fans who didn't watch it happen won't contextualize what it was like in the moment they're going to see the numbers on paper.

I respect the guys who leave it all out there, it's truly giving all they have. Like Anderson Silva could've retired so many times and probably have a better legacy, but still pushed himself and maybe didn't win like he used to but he turned over every stone he could.
Fuck that.

Better to get in get rich and get out. Its ALWAYS BETTER to do it that way.

Whoever says "what if" takes zero money out of your pocket,and dont reduce any of your brain cells

Even the job you work for dont care,they love that your risking the rest of your life for their TV

We just want someone to die and be like yo there were awesome before they benoit'd their whole family like 4 real

Fuck that.

Better to get in get rich and get out. Its ALWAYS BETTER to do it that way.

Whoever says "what if" takes zero money out of your pocket,and dont reduce any brain cells

We just want someone to die and be like yo there were awesome before they benoit'd their whole family like 4 real
I don't know man, I've never been about money or materialistic stuff. To me it's all about legacy and heart why I love MMA. We don't die with money, all that shit eventually turns worthless, but a legacy like Ali's lasts forever. I respect a Pacquaio resume over a Mayweather, even though Mayweather made more money and took less damage.

Khabib retired way too early, Tony is leaving it way too late. Very contrasting careers. Sti.l, Khabib's legacy is in no doubt.

I don't know man, I've never been about money or materialistic stuff. To me it's all about legacy and heart why I love MMA. We don't die with money, all that shit eventually turns worthless, but a legacy like Ali's lasts forever. I respect a Pacquaio resume over a Mayweather, even though Mayweather made more money.
Its easy to say that when you arent getting your brains get beaten in.

I admire the guys who won The Great Game,rather than end up broke,CTE'd and got "respect" from fans who just turn on them soon as they lose anyway

Reactions: Kb7
But he gave it all and didnt leave any questions opened
lol what kind of reasoning is that
its kinda like a really old sick and injured lion trying to fight a hyena clan just to prove hes the king
but gets destroyed

Reactions: HHJ
lol what kind of reasoning is that
its kinda like a really old sick and injured lion trying to fight a hyena clan just to prove hes the king
but gets destroyed
We already KNOW Tony got the fighting spirit. He doesnt need to do all this

I'd definitely rather retire champ and undefeated than lose six in a row absorbing a shit ton of damage in the process. How is this even a question?
Going out on your shield is when you go out on a high note with a competitive fight like hendo or Rockhold before he wanted missing teeth. Not 6 ass whippings

Its easy to say that when you arent getting your brains get beaten in.

I admire the guys who won The Great Game,rather than end up broke,CTE'd and got "respect" from fans who just turn on them soon as they lose anyway
I would expect they are doing it for themselves to see how much they can accomplish and challenge themselves. I just think it's cringe to think someone like Anderson Silva is training and working out for a grueling 12 week camp thinking every day "how many people are going to love him" if he wins. I think they do it for the art form and bringing their training to life rather than make the male audience clap for them. As far as the CTE shit, you would be stupid to choose anything like MMA if you were worried about that. Also don't choose football.

He's making money so he probably doesn't even care.

I would expect they are doing it for themselves to see how much they can accomplish and challenge themselves. I just think it's cringe to think someone like Anderson Silva is training and working out for a grueling 12 week camp thinking every day "how many people are going to love him" if he wins. I think they do it for the art form and bringing their training to life rather than make the male audience clap for them. As far as the CTE shit, you would be stupid to choose anything like MMA if you were worried about that. Also don't choose football.
I dont think its noble as that.

Anderson spent 10 yrs on a high. I think he hung around because he wanted the high back,of all the time when he was the man. its a drug. You can tell Chuck never wnated to stop.

People dont choose to fight MMA because they are scared of CTE

its just like any other risk,they choose to IGNORE it,and then end up paying the fucking price.

In the end every man takes his choice,when he has had enough.

Then you are left with the rest,who have the choice MADE FOR THEM.

It is always better to make the choice yourself.

Tony is definitely one of the true pioneers of the UFC. I would like to see him end his career fighting now and we can remember him as a Warrior first, and a truly entertaining style that he brought. Tony had a helluva run, but was never the same after the Gaethe fight. Hang em up Tony, you are one of the greats. Let's remembet the great fights.

Mods, add poll please.
No we saw two models of retirement. First is to retire on peak (but obviously with some fights left in you). On other hand there's Tony who gave it all, but his losing streak looks terrible.
Hmm, retire undefeated taking next to no damage while being considered the GOAT or retire on a 6 fight losing streak, being finished multiple times, while having the clearest case of advanced CTE ever seen before. Let me think… dumbass.

Back