SO SICK OF REMATCHES

DC is the ufcs golden boy that’s why he’s getting an immediate rematch he absolutely doesn’t deserve. He has 1 title defense over Lewis but made Stipe beg for a year for a rematch while he gets one immediately

Shouldn’t admin merge all the DC/Stipe threads?

Ridiculous. Should all threads be merged that mention Connor and Khabib?

This is not a Stipe/DC thread.

The specific topic of this thread is Rematches, and why there should not be hardly any, rather than rematches being the "vogue, default request" of every loser who ever loses a fight.

Ok lol. Just curious. In the LHW and HW title pictures, what fights excite you the most?

As far as LW goes If you’d love to see Khabib vs. Tony Ferguson I can assure you I’m right there with you

Ngannou has actually earned his rematch in the HW division in my opinion. I don't believe anybody currently has a better case than he does for a title shot - 3 first round knockouts in a row, 2 against former champions, in less than 4 minutes combined? Says a lot. The division is pretty "meh" right now too. Not many win streaks happening at the high end that I'm aware of.

LHW is very stagnant at the moment. Jones has pretty much cleaned out everybody in the top 10, and there isn't many new up and comers who deserve a title shot. Corey Anderson and Johnny Walker are both on 3 fight win streaks, Walker with 3 quick 1st round KO's, and they're set to face each other. The winner of that should probably get a title shot since neither have had one yet, but Reyes is actually on a 5 fight win streak and set to fight Weidman. My personal opinion would be Reyes if he beats Weidman, but he's only ranked #8 while Anderson is ranked #6.

Shitty spot for LHW right now, but if I had to choose, I think Reyes is more deserving if he wins because he would be on a 6 fight win streak.

LW? There's no question on what the next title fight should be. If we don't get that fight, we've been snookered.

Ngannou has actually earned his rematch in the HW division in my opinion. I don't believe anybody currently has a better case than he does for a title shot - 3 first round knockouts in a row, 2 against former champions, in less than 4 minutes combined? Says a lot. The division is pretty "meh" right now too. Not many win streaks happening at the high end that I'm aware of.

LHW is very stagnant at the moment. Jones has pretty much cleaned out everybody in the top 10, and there isn't many new up and comers who deserve a title shot. Corey Anderson and Johnny Walker are both on 3 fight win streaks, Walker with 3 quick 1st round KO's, and they're set to face each other. The winner of that should probably get a title shot since neither have had one yet, but Reyes is actually on a 5 fight win streak and set to fight Weidman. My personal opinion would be Reyes if he beats Weidman, but he's only ranked #8 while Anderson is ranked #6.

Shitty spot for LHW right now, but if I had to choose, I think Reyes is more deserving if he wins because he would be on a 6 fight win streak.

LW? There's no question on what the next title fight should be. If we don't get that fight, we've been snookered.

Ok I really have no complaints about anything you said. You wouldn’t be interested in seeing Thiago Santos rematch Jon Jones though as well? I’d love to see Reyes get a title shot, but I’d equally love to see Santos get a rematch as well. I think he gave Jones his toughest fight. Surely both could happen

Ngannou or Jones versus Stipe are the only fights left to make.

Jones should take precedence over Ngannou.

If DC wants some, he should challenge Ngannou on the undercard.

Ok I really have no complaints about anything you said. You wouldn’t be interested in seeing Thiago Santos rematch Jon Jones though as well? I’d love to see Reyes get a title shot, but I’d equally love to see Santos get a rematch as well. I think he gave Jones his toughest fight. Surely both could happen

Check the original thread topic.

The only qualifiers for rematch are 1) the event was very even, and 2) the outcome was hotly contested, with no clear winner.

It is quite clear that the Santos/Jones match left an unsatisfactory outcome, all the more augmented by Santos' limited physical condition.

A Santos/Jones rematch, therefore, qualifies as a worthy candidate for a rematch.

I don't know what is so consistently hard to understand about the simple 1-2 criteria for a rematch. Rematches should only involve two absolutely top level contenders (or champions) who 1) gave an epic performance, and who 2) left no clear winner in the aftermath.

Nowhere does the gist of this thread say rematches should never happen. It says everybody who loses doesn't deserve a rematch, and it also says people who get dominated/KTFO don't deserve rematches.

I completely agree. A super close and controversial fight like Gustafsson vs. Jones 1 or Machida vs. Shogun 1 are scenarios where an immediate rematch makes sense. Otherwise, if some weird shit happens like a freak injury or something, then yea maybe a rematch is appropriate. But when a champion who is the favorite or a long running dominant champion gets beat, why do they always get a rematch? They lost fair and square. You shouldn't have to beat the champ twice in a row. I miss the old days when champs lost and had to work their way back up with a couple wins.

blame Frankie Edgar. he whined about the Benson losses. he even wanted a rematch after the 2nd fight.

Check the original thread topic.

The only qualifiers for rematch are 1) the event was very even, and 2) the outcome was hotly contested, with no clear winner.

It is quite clear that the Santos/Jones match left an unsatisfactory outcome, all the more augmented by Santos' limited physical condition.

A Santos/Jones rematch, therefore, qualifies as a worthy candidate for a rematch.

I don't know what is so consistently hard to understand about the simple 1-2 criteria for a rematch. Rematches should only involve two absolutely top level contenders (or champions) who 1) gave an epic performance, and who 2) left no clear winner in the aftermath.

Nowhere does the gist of this thread say rematches should never happen. It says everybody who loses doesn't deserve a rematch, and it also says people who get dominated/KTFO don't deserve rematches.

I’m aware of your stance. I’m trying to see where McDego’s at though. He seems to be downplaying the idea of Santos getting a rematch with Jones

What in particular about boxing and mma being different takes away from the point I was trying to make about rematches though?
They are different sports

Ngannou or Jones versus Stipe are the only fights left to make.

Jones should take precedence over Ngannou.

If DC wants some, he should challenge Ngannou on the undercard.

I actually agree with this 100%.

2 fresh new matches. Perfect!

I’m aware of your stance. I’m trying to see where McDego’s at though. He seems to be downplaying the idea of Santos getting a rematch with Jones

It's a better case than most for a rematch, but I personally had Jones winning, and don't see it as controversial as most do. I think Gus had a better case for an immediate rematch vs Jones, and he had to wait 5 years. Santos should get a win or two before getting another crack at the belt. Especially if Jones can get a new challenger or a shot at Stipe.

You're still going to watch, TS

I know they’re different sports. How are rematches different / necessary / unnecessary to you though in MMA vs. Boxing?
TS nailed it, I also am sick of rematches. I think I may have said this last year in a separate post. Your example with boxing was talking about very close fights done over in subsequent close fights. That doesn’t normally happen in MMA, each fight is normally quite different (there are exceptions). That’s my answer, MMA is so different to boxing.

Rematches should happen few and far between.

TS nailed it, I also am sick of rematches. I think I may have said this last year in a separate post. Your example with boxing was talking about very close fights done over in subsequent close fights. That doesn’t normally happen in MMA, each fight is normally quite different (there are exceptions). That’s my answer, MMA is so different to boxing.

You’re right about my examples, but overall that isn’t always the case

Floyd Patterson vs. Ingemar Johansson the first to come to mind

I just feel MMA and Boxing have their similarities and their differences

And hey if you’re sick of rematches, I totally get it! Do you think there should’ve been a rematch between Lomachenko and Salido? I’ll respect your answer either way! Just curious!

how many rematches have there even been the past 12 months?

Rematches should happen few and far between.

Yes, a revisit of special fights (left undecided the first time) between special competitors, neither of whom could fully-dominate the other the first time around.

Just because you lose (esp. if you got finished) is not a qualifier for a rematch. It means you got beat and failed, when the moment presented itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back