SO SICK OF REMATCHES

PitDoggMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It seems nowadays that every time a fighter loses, he immediately calls for a rematch. It is getting to the point where it is almost ridiculous to have the first fight at all, because the loser will immediately give a rundown list of excuses why he lost, and offer to "run it back" for a better account of himself "the next time."

WTH?

Folks, rematches should be very few and far between. A fighter needs to get his shit right the first time he faces somebody.

The only time a rematch is actually justified is in 1) an epic battle, where two of the very best in a division fight at such a high level, and were so even in the contest, that it 2) really left the outcome undecided (and/or hotly debated) at the end, usually with a split decision.

Only if those two elements were present (a truly epic battle of greats + and both people still looking like winners), does a rematch makes sense "to settle the score." It also makes sense from a fanfare standpoint.

However, when one person gets the living shit beaten out of them, and/or gets finished inside the distance, there is absolutely no reason to do that fight over again. The dude lost, he got finished, and he was simply not the man the other individual was. Get over it, move on.

That said, the idea of running DC back into Jones for the third time is ludicrous. The man lost twice, the first in an epic battle, the second by flat out KO in the rematch, leaving DC crying a broken heap on the ground. The score was settled, no decision was rendered. DC got beat down and finished. He is not the better man. He needs to come to terms with this fact.

In the first fight of Miocic and DC, the rematch was justified because of the fluke loss, not to mention the cheating eye pokes of DC. However, in this second fight, DC simply faded, got backed up as the rounds were on, and got KTFO by Miocic, again leaving DC a broken, crying tired man on the canvas. That score is now settled. There is absolutely no reason for a trilogy.

The only fight that makes sense now is Miocic vs. Jones, for either man. The fanfare that would be drawn from such a fight would be unprecedented for the heavyweight division. It would offer Jones a second belt, which would be an historical elevation if he wins, and it would offer Miocic the head a truly great legendary fighter on his resume, in Jones, if Miocic wins.

Regarding the constant buzzing of a Khabib/Conor rematch, there is absolutely not one reason for those two to ever fight again. Khabib absolutely dominated Conor, who tapped out, and was similarly left a tired, wilted, and broken man on the canvas. Conor has done absolutely nothing to deserve a rematch. In fact, his inactivity should remove him from the top 10.

The idea that Conor McGregor deserves a rematch because "he's a money guy" is ludicrous. I think Conor has only one more money fight left in him. If he beats a top 10-ranked guy, and then maybe one more, he may be able to salvage his name and reputation, possibly earning a title shot again.

However, if Conor loses his next fight, his marquee appeal will be utterly destroyed. Regardless, there is absolutely nothing in his performance against Khabib that warrants a rematch. He was beaten soundly, and made the conscious decision to quit.

In the end, the UFC needs to have standards of conduct and only put those fighters who deserve title shots in line for the title. Right now, it's Tony Ferguson and Justin Gaethje. Ferguson deserves the title shot more than anyone else in the division, and it is the greatest fight possible for the Lightweight division.

Conor McGregor is not great for the lightweight division and doesn't belong in a conversation for a title shot. He has a 1-3 losing run compared to Ferguson's 12-0 winning run.

If Khabib faces Ferguson, there should not be in automatic rematch, unless it is some kind of epic fight and split decision loss. However, if one fighter finishes the other, then whoever wins is the champion and needs to move on and face new competition.

This new voguery of losers "asking for rematches" by default needs to stop. Fighters need to get their ship together, and get it right the first time they step into the octagon and give it everything they have then and there.

The DC-Stipe trilogy fight makes a lot of sense imho. Also, Jones wants nothing to do with HW. Completely agree about Conor, there are a lot of people Khabib should be fighting next before him.

I like rematches. It takes more than one fight to really know who’s the better fighter. Sometimes we could have 3-4 fights between guys and still not know who’s better. Israel Vazquez vs. Rafael Marquez for example. They fought 4 effing times and I think you can still debate over who’s the better fighter of the 2. If you go 2-0 vs. someone it should leave no question marks on who’s better. Imagine if Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture only fought once? We’d all think Randy’s a million times tougher than Chuck.

With Stipe and DC being 1-1 we really have no idea who’s actually the better fighter of the 2. We need another!

I wish GSP/Hendricks and Lewis/Klitschko had rematches

Yea, because most of the rematches end up with different results

Agreed.

There are very few times an immediate rematch is warranted.

Back in the day it used to be earned by winning 1-3 fights after losing your title or title shot.

One of the biggest drawbacks of GSP's career (in my opinion) is that 26.92% of his career wins are against the same 4 guys - and both of his losses were against 2 of them. 9 out of 28 fights were against 4 people. That's weak.

Frankie Edgar has a shitload of rematches too: 3 fights vs Penn, 3 fights vs Maynard, 2 fights vs Aldo, 2 vs Bendo, 2 vs Swanson - He's 7-5 vs 5 people.

That's 30.43% of his wins and 71.43% of his losses against 5 people in a 30 fight career - 40% of his total fights against 5 guys. Fuckin madness!

Last edited:
I like rematches. It takes more than one fight to really know who’s the better fighter. Sometimes we could have 3-4 fights between guys and still not know who’s better. Israel Vazquez vs. Rafael Marquez for example. They fought 4 effing times and I think you can still debate over who’s the better fighter of the 2. If you go 2-0 vs. someone it should leave no question marks on who’s better. Imagine if Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture only fought once? We’d all think Randy’s a million times tougher than Chuck.

With Stipe and DC being 1-1 we really have no idea who’s actually the better fighter of the 2. We need another!

I wish GSP/Hendricks and Lewis/Klitschko had rematches

Apparently, you didn't read the post.

It is in fights were one person gets finished, or completely dominated, where there there is no more reason for a rematch.

DC does not deserve a rematch with anyone, because he got brutally finished by both. Conor doesn't deserve a rematch because he got totally dominated & finished by Khabib.

GSP/Hendricks was an epic battle, of two elite fighters, leaving a hotly-debated outcome. Yes, this deserved a rematch.

Hopefully this was short enough, and simple enough, for you to comprehend.

It is in fights were one person gets finished, or completely dominated, where there there is no more reason for a rematch.

DC does not deserve a rematch with anyone, because he got brutally finished by both. Conor doesn't deserve a rematch because he got totally dominated & finished by Khabib.

GSP/Hendricks was an epic battle, of two elite fighters, leaving a hotly-debated outcome. Yes, this deserved a rematch.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but in the event of an Aldo/McGregor incident - I believe an immediate rematch was definitely warranted. 1 perfect punch? Can't say it was "lucky", it was perfect, but the probability of that happening again is slim to none, and we were robbed of a potentially great fight in the rematch.

I read it. I thought it was a fun read. I enjoyed your post. It’s just my opinion that no matter what the outcome is, or no matter how dominant, I just think one fight isn’t enough to decide who’s the better fighter.

I actually disagree on your DC/Jones assessment. Jones getting popped after the 2nd fight takes all of the credit outta that win for me. A 3rd fight at heavyweight and both pass USADA testing is 50/50 for me. I’d love to see it

I’d enjoy a Conor/Khabib 2 as well. Khabib beat millionaire Conor. Imagine if Conor could get that fire back he had in 2014? I couldn’t tell ya who’d win then.

Just my opinions of course. McGregor/Diaz 1 was as clear cut as it gets. Conor still avenged that loss though

DC doesn't deserve a rematch. He needs to earn it. Stipe should fight Francis.
Is this a joke?
Stipe got his rematch without fighting anybody, while DC was out defending the belt.

Ya fookin goof

In the first fight of Miocic and DC, the rematch was justified because of the fluke....
Aaaand this is officially where you lost all credibility.

But hey, I read further than 99% of sherdoggers, so you're welcome :)

Now, a response. There really aren't that many rematches. DC v Jones II met your criteria for an acceptable rematch, and so did Whittaker v Romero. Really in the last few years there is only 1 fight for you to complain about, and you justified it (above).

So the only fight you actually have to complain about is DC v Stipe III. And it's not even official yet! And it's a legit #1 v #2, currently tied at 1-1.

So get over it. This is not 2011-2012 with 3 back-to-back-to-back championship rematches at LW. If it were your post would make more sense.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but in the event of an Aldo/McGregor incident - I believe an immediate rematch was definitely warranted. 1 perfect punch? Can't say it was "lucky", it was perfect, but the probability of that happening again is slim to none, and we were robbed of a potentially great fight in the rematch.

Caol Uno and BJ Penn agree with you lol

I'm not reading your essay. Also. Just don't watch them noob. Some of the best fights in UFC history were rematches.

I read it. I thought it was a fun read. I enjoyed your post. It’s just my opinion that no matter what the outcome is, or no matter how dominant, I just think one fight isn’t enough to decide who’s the better fighter.

I actually disagree on your DC/Jones assessment. Jones getting popped after the 2nd fight takes all of the credit outta that win for me. A 3rd fight at heavyweight and both pass USADA testing is 50/50 for me. I’d love to see it

I’d enjoy a Conor/Khabib 2 as well. Khabib beat millionaire Conor. Imagine if Conor could get that fire back he had in 2014? I couldn’t tell ya who’d win then.

Just my opinions of course. McGregor/Diaz 1 was as clear cut as it gets. Conor still avenged that loss though

Why would the 3rd DC/Jones fight have to be at HW? An initial rematch wasn't even really warranted, as Jon shut him down in every aspect of MMA in their first fight.

Conor/Khabib rematch is ridiculous, nobody cares about your excuses, and he is nowhere near deserving of another title shot. Conor/Diaz rematch was also unwarranted, and most people believe Conor lost the 2nd fight.

I take it you're just a Conor fan? Lol

Caol Uno and BJ Penn agree with you lol

Great example!

Askren likely should have gotten an immediate rematch against Jorge too, but the fight wasn't that high profile and Uncle Dana loved it.

I think we agree more than we disagree.

I disagree fights are held so the two fighters "can get to know each other better"; fights are held to establish who is the better man, so that one can move up in the rankings and the other down.

I disagree that a rematch is automatically warranted if a fight was "close." If a winner/loser is ruled upon, the winner advances. In this case, maybe the loser keeps his place in the rankings, and may even go up too. But it doesn't mean each fighter should go through another six week camp to face each other again, that part is ridiculous.

Only if two elite fighters face each other, fight furiously, and leave the answer to the question, "who is better," unsatisfied (still hotly-contested), because of how close the fight was, should a rematch be considered.

It should be a rare, special circumstance .. to settle the score between the very best ... for the purpose of determining ranking ... rather than a default request by everyone who loses because they want "a second chance."

Why would the 3rd DC/Jones fight have to be at HW? An initial rematches wasn't even really warranted, as Jon shut him down in every aspect of MMA in their first fight.

Conor/Khabib rematch is ridiculous, nobody cares about your excuses, and he is nowhere near deserving of another title shot. Conor/Diaz rematch was also unwarranted, and most people believe Conor lost the 2nd fight.

I take it you're just a Conor fan? Lol

Oh it wouldn’t have to be at HW. I just think DC has a better chance at HW. I said that for the fun of competitiveness. And hey, how cool would it be if DC gets the title back from Stipe then Jones gets the opportunity to be a 2 division champion by fighting someone he’s already fought twice?

Yes. I am a Conor fan lol. Conor/Khabib was the highest selling ppv in UFC history. Is that not good enough of a reason to one day do it again? Maybe later on down the road at the very least?

Conor/Diaz 2 was a top selling ppv as well. How could that not be warranted? Short notice, a new weightclass? Over a million buys? Why not do it again?

This fight sucks. I'm tired of it. Stipe fights the same guy 3 fkn times in a row? Maybe 2 years and 10 fights from now. Ngannou

Back