So, one year into the FOX deal...

GSP!!!

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We are one year into the FOX deal and the expectation was that FOX would bring in a new generation of fans.

SO my question is; are any of you here because you seen UFC on FOX, FX or Fuel for the first time or UFC on FOX, FX or Fuel was the first time you really bothered to watch for an extended period of time?

A couple of thoughts on the subject

- I know for my self, I was introduced to the sport a few years before I REALLY got in to it, there for I think the same can be assumed for any other new fans we could expect. I think FOX will bring in some new fans, it will just take 3 or 4 years. maybe less for some, maybe more.

-If FOX can gain serious ground in the sports world (gain ground on ESPN) with their new line of "FOX sports" channels that will help immensely. should be interesting

-A lot of the programs that are on FUEL, like the countdown shows and the UFC unleashed need to be in more homes, i REALLY think those unleashed shows are bigger for the sport then people think, casual fans are just going through the channels on their work break or day off or w.e. and stumble across these old hand picked fights are big for exposure.

ANYWAYS

New fans from FOX, you here???

EDIT:

also, it really is to bad that the first big fight wasnt like the second, would have attracted SO many new fans. I know that sounds ridiculous that one fight can make or break a sport but look at Forest Bonnar. lucky we are not in a make or break stage right now. I guess lightning cant strike twice.

Last edited:
Dont know Fox has created new wave of fans yet...will prob take time...bu so far, it doesnt seem the fox deal has made much impact overall...

Everyone was expecting a wave of fox noobs in here.... But they never came.

I wonder this as well.

Doesnt seem like it had the same impact that TUF/Brock did.

man I'm just glad this fox deal exists, it's given us great, free cards; I don't even care about it bringing in new fans

Their PPV average was up significantly this year compared to last, so it looks like it may have helped break that downward trend of the past couple of years.

International expansion seems to be a more important source of growth than new Fox viewers.

Yeah, I was expecting more, too. It's a niche sport, I guess. I think the first few seasons of TUF brought most of the people who were always into NHB fighting but didn't know there was an organization that came close to having that rule set. Now they have to pick up fans who might not be as innately interested, which is difficult.

It doesn't matter all too much to me whether or not new fans will show up. Free cards, bro. AND THEY'RE AWESOME CARDS MAY I ADD.

The FOX deal has been a bust so far. It would better be called a FUEL/FX deal as there is nowhere near enough promotion on FOX itself. Honestly, the UFC would be in as good a position or even better had they stayed with Spike.

I dont know that this forums is a good gauge of new MMA fans, i think to create an account and post here you have to be a pretty motivated fan. I think most of the fox fans are casual about the sport, but looking at the ratings they are clearly out there.

you're spot on in saying the ufc unleashed programs are HUGE for growing the sport. people have the opportunity to watch exclusively awesome fights involving huge names in the sport and it seems like spike or whoever is broadcasting them will cater to an upcoming event and show the past fights of fighters on the card.

I dont know that this forums is a good gauge of new MMA fans, i think to create an account and post here you have to be a pretty motivated fan. I think most of the fox fans are casual about the sport, but looking at the ratings they are clearly out there.

Tuf and Brock seemed to have brought a good amount.

I wonder this as well.

Doesnt seem like it had the same impact that TUF/Brock did.

Maybe MMA has plateaued in terms of popularity? I can't ever see it becoming mainstream really, I'm not even sure if it can become as popular as boxing. I think though it's part of a longer term strategy, should be judged in 5 years probably.

but they never came??

hah youre acting like they will never ever come

wait a bit

i wonder how some of you get modded sometimes

Back