So, one year into the FOX deal...

man I'm just glad this fox deal exists, it's given us great, free cards; I don't even care about it bringing in new fans

This.

Exposure takes time to have an effect. I think we'll see the difference this year or next.

the FOX cards are getting progressively better imo. The first chicago FOX card was weak. One year later we get Cowboy/Pettis, Rampage/Glover, AND a flyweight title fight on free TV!

but they never came??

hah youre acting like they will never ever come

wait a bit

i wonder how some of you get modded sometimes

Its been a year. Tuf and Brock both brought in a shit load of new fans within a year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Fox deal didn't bring in a lot of MMA fans. We have to remember the the UFC was on Spike tv for years which is a very common channel with cable providers. Let's not act like the UFC was on some obscured channel like Fuel tv for the last 5 years or so and now they are on a channel that everyone gets!

Maybe MMA has plateaued in terms of popularity? I can't ever see it becoming mainstream really, I'm not even sure if it can become as popular as boxing. I think though it's part of a longer term strategy, should be judged in 5 years probably.

I think its so short sighted of people when they say this, MMA was introduced to prbly 90% of current fans no longer then 8 or 9 years ago and is now on broadcast TV, and the 10 or so MMA events that have been on broadcast tv have had a higher avg TV audience then college football, im not saying MMA is more popular but they are in the same discussion in regards to TV ratings

If UFC is ever to be in mainstream, legit mainstream, up there with NFL and NBA it will prbly take 20 years and some big stars

but to say that a sport that was virtually no where 10 years ago that has gone to where it is today, "has plateaued" is short sighted to say the least, give it time.

the FOX cards are getting progressively better imo. The first chicago FOX card was weak. One year later we get Cowboy/Pettis, Rampage/Glover, AND a flyweight title fight on free TV!

the first Fox card had

Rashad Evans vs Phil Davis
Chael Sonnen vs Michael Bisping
Chris Weidman vs Demian Maia

It was a ridiculously stacked card. Yes it turned out to be boring but it was anything but a weak card. If anything this Fox card is actually weaker but filled with more exciting fights.

Btw TS this is sherdog. Didn't you know every single poster on here has been watching mma since Ufc 1 and has watched every single Pride/Ufc event?

man I'm just glad this fox deal exists, it's given us great, free cards; I don't even care about it bringing in new fans

This, lol. We're getting great cards for free. It's a win for the fans even if its not a win for the UFC as of now.

this, free PayPerView quality fights/cards.... i'm cool with not having to pay 40-60 bucks just to see a few quality fights,

but when it comes to fans, i'm sure theres a bunch of new ones, doubt there would be a wave of them already on Sherdog, but give it a few more Years and MMA will start getting recognized more and more, they really need another ufc 100 type card, and i think the New York November card (if it's legalized, big if), will do just that

Its been a year. Tuf and Brock both brought in a shit load of new fans within a year.

this is a lot different imo

back in the early tuf days it was a time when no one had really been introduced to the sport, and Brock was a big name outside of the UFC which would have brought people as well who had never really watched the sport before

but with FOX now, most people have seen it in some sort of capacity so if they are watching on FOX its not like this new phenomenon that grabs them immediately, most people would have atleast known of the sport. So what FOX is going to do is grab the attention of VERY casual fans, which will take time.

this, free PayPerView quality fights/cards.... i'm cool with not having to pay 40-60 bucks just to see a few quality fights,

but when it comes to fans, i'm sure theres a bunch of new ones, doubt there would be a wave of them already on Sherdog, but give it a few more Years and MMA will start getting recognized more and more, they really need another ufc 100 type card, and i think the New York November card (if it's legalized, big if), will do just that

agreed. a GSP - Silva fight will bring in TONS of people, give it a stacked exciting card. thousands of new fans will emerge

Who would want to admit they're a fan because of FOX?

agreed. a GSP - Silva fight will bring in TONS of people, give it a stacked exciting card. thousands of new fans will emerge

a Gsp/Silva card would make the Ufc probably 100 million dollars. Why the hell would they put it on tv?

a Gsp/Silva card would make the Ufc probably 100 million dollars. Why the hell would they put it on tv?

?? lol. I dont think I ever implied they should put that on FOX??

I had friends who have NEVER watched MMA talking about wanting to buy that fight.

its guys like that who would watch and get into the sport

Who would want to admit they're a fan because of FOX?

Around here the attitude seems to be that if you weren't childhood friends with Royce or Renzo, then you don't know crap about MMA. Such an atmosphere does not lend itself to people admitting they are Fox noobs.

why would anyone stop watching after a hw title fight that ended in quick KO?

It's hilarious how when fights go to decision it's the death of the sport but a hw title fight ends in a KO and that's a problem as well.

the first Fox card had

Rashad Evans vs Phil Davis
Chael Sonnen vs Michael Bisping
Chris Weidman vs Demian Maia

It was a ridiculously stacked card. Yes it turned out to be boring but it was anything but a weak card. If anything this Fox card is actually weaker but filled with more exciting fights.

Btw TS this is sherdog. Didn't you know every single poster on here has been watching mma since Ufc 1 and has watched every single Pride/Ufc event?

well the card seems stronger now then what it really was back then, atm Weidman is a hot prospect and a top 5 MW, who KO'd Munoz quite easily, before this fight, he was just a young guy who showed great potential, Rashad vs Davis personally made no sense to me, but Bisping and sonnen should have got way more attention then it did, it also should have been the main event

Back