So many guys are unranked nowadays

MigitAs

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
That’s all I can think of when I’m watching fight night cards. Even guys that look like killers are mostly unranked. To find the ranked guys you gotta wait for big PPV’s; even average PPV’s don’t have many ranked fighters these days imo.

Can anyone think of cards not called 300 that had a lot of ranked fighters recently?

299 did. Every fight after the early prelims featured at least one ranked fighter. Including women and the FLW division (both should be tossed) the UFC has 174 ranked fighters. There are around 450-500 unranked. I will say that it seems as though there should be more ranked fighters fighting more often. Idk if it's injuries or what, but some of these dudes sit on the shelf for LONG periods of time. Personally, I think if a guy has been on the shelf for a year and doesn't have a contract signed for an upcoming fight, he should get booted from the top 15. He's simply an inactive fighter. It's probably the best argument against higher fighter pay. Fighters would sit on their asses a lot more than they already do.

The UFC robbed Peter to pay Paul big time in order to put on those two cards. They sacrificed about four fight nights and a PPV.

Reactions: HCS
I’ve learned to take rankings with a grain of salt. Or rather, I’ve learned rankings are not a definitive hierarchy of the talent. You could very well have more talented guys at bottom at any given time. Enjoy the good fights. Good fighters make a name for themselves regardless of number beside their name.

Last edited:
And weirdly still can't find like 10-15 decent HW prospects to save its life.
The HW Division in its entirety hasn't surpassed Tank Abbott still...I reckon he'd be smack dab in the middle of the division in terms of ranking, he might actually show more heart and stamina than some of the lards that I have seen on fight night too.

I have zero statistics to back this up but I have a theory that all these Apex events has resulted in higher ranked/bigger name fighters being more inactive. I think a lot of fighters are tired of fighting in the Apex so they hold out to hopefully get on a card somewhere else but since there’s only so many spots on these non-Apex cards they just end up waiting around even longer.

Again, just an opinion I have.

Many sherdoggers blame fighters for being inactive. While this is true for a few guys, most of the blame actually goes on the UFC.

The company's business model is pump out a crazy number of events and stack the cards with cheap talent to keep overhead expenses low. This is especially true for fight night cards, where the company is already getting paid by ESPN and doesn't have to worry all that much about ratings. And for PPVs, they've realized that one or two big names is enough to generate buys. Then they stack 3 or 4 PPVs a year and pat themselves on the back while having fake snow delivered to their driveways.

It'll only get worse from here, so get used to it.

lots of talented fighters
its just the ones who get bigger fights and fastracked
mostly are the more popular ones

well if your the unfortunate one
you need to win 5x in a row
or even more to make a name for yourself
and start there

And weirdly still can't find like 10-15 decent HW prospects to save its life.
there arent that many fat guys with cardio and a skillset... and don't say NFL... those guys have proven not to have cardio or skills multiple times..

Ranked fighters are usually inactive. UFC lets them keep their rank no matter what.

There are also ranked fighters who refuse to fight down which allows them to keep their ranks even with losing streaks.

Back