So, I've been challenged to a fight...

possenti

I knew all the rules-but the rules did not know me
@Black
Reaction score
This isn't your typical schoolyard brawl, and it's really not a challenge, but more of a polite -somewhat mature gentlemanly agreement - with a guy at work. I don't think there's any pride involved on my part - I just feel the need to demonstrate the effectiveness of MMA in general, and BJJ in particular:

There's a fellow I take my lunch breaks with who occasionally watches the UFC programing on Spike TV. He's a huge pro-wrestling fan, and I assume that's where he first saw the MMA shows - after TNA wrestling. He's always running down the effectiveness of MMA training, and says that a "pro-wrestler could beat a UFC fighter anyday." His smart-ass know-it-all remarks are endless. I've tried to politely explain how wrong he is, but he always cuts me off mid-sentence. I've invited him to train many times, and he always smirks and says, "you guys are all pussies. I'd kick your asses." This includes BJJ and boxing. And yes, he's totaly serious.

Today, I finally had enough and I said, "How would you like to test your theory?" I suggested that we put on the MMA gloves, mouthguards and cups and find out who's right. We both agreed on a place, a referee, and the rules. However, I had such a cocky (overconfident?) attitude at this point, I told him I would consider not throwing punches, but kicks, knees and elbows - as well as grappling and subs are fair play. There would be no rounds, no time limit. He said he'd think about it. Here's the details on us:

I'm 36. 5'11", 180 lbs. I trained 3 years in TKD back in high school. At 27, I was introduced to boxing, Muay Thai and BJJ when I studied Jeet Kune Do for about a year. I went on to BJJ only at a Gracie training chapter for another year. Nothing for about 7 years. Got back into BJJ and boxing about 6 months ago. I've started playing around with MMA sparring with some guys (who seriously train MMA) at my BJJ club, and I think I can hold my own for what little experience I have. I feel more comfortable/natural with grappling, but I have some pretty good strikes.

My opponent: He's 30. about 5' 11" and he weighs about 250. He seriously looks like he swallowed a basketball. I know for a fact his cardio sucks ass. As far as training, he wrestled in high school for a couple of years. His current physical activity consists of sitting on his ass all day in a bulldozer and walking to his car at the end of the day. His only obvious advantage I see is his weight and perhaps takedowns/ground control.

What strategies would you suggest for me? I have several in mind, but I'll keep them to myself until I hear from a few people on this. If he only agrees to fight with me not punching, should I do it? Or should I trade punches for no kicks/knees/elbows? Or should I insist on all techniques? My takedowns are my only real weak point, but my sprawl has stopped several former wrestlers that I've sparred with. I'd eventually like to finish with a RNC, but getting to that point might be harder than I predict...

There is a pretty good chance this will happen, so I could use some serious advice.

You really clipped yourself not allowing strikes on your part.

I predict you win, but he comes back with a bunch of excuses. Those excuses would not be availible if you had a full repetoire of strikes to augment your grappling.

However, with some creativity I am sure you could repeatedly almost finish a RNC on him until he admits to his ignorance.

since the guy used to wrestle you shouldn't have taken punches out of the game. you need his hands up to get a takedown, so you might try using your TKD kicks to get his hands high and then work for a shot.
when you go to the gound you want to get top position. guard will be ver hard for you to work with a guy that big. your legs won't be easy to close and his weight alone could take you out of your game.

I'd say you need to keep it up and pepper him with what you can in strikes. when he is starting ot gas then work the takedown angle. his size is going ot be a problem so the slower you can get him the better.

I hope you're good at Chonen style sliding leglocks because if he does have some wrestling skills and a hard punch he could cause you problems. I'd say throw some leg and teep kicks, get him to drop his hands, jump in with a knee or elbow and put him on the defensive and then go for a takedown when he's convinced you want to slug it out.

If he shoots on you, sprawl and work for the guillotine, fingerlace guillotine (your chest on his back, your thumbs under his ear lobes, your finger laced like a blade under his chin) and get his back for the rnc or go for the anaconda choke.

As for his pro wrestler beats MMA fighter theory, feel free to get all of Giant Silva's fights for him to watch. Silva has appeared in AJPW, NJPW and WWE.

Lol @ a mature, gentlemanly duel with a 30 year old fat man who still thinks pro wrestling is real.

But seriously, you should rock this guy. I don't think no punches will be a problem since he is so fat. Just dance around him throwing round kicks to his legs. With TKD and Muay Thai, I'm sure you can kick hard and fast enough on the low lines to make it hurt.

He'll stumble around and gas really fast. Then you can just take him down at will and do whatever submission you want. Heck he'll probably tap before you submit him. When a loser like that gasses and realizes that they didn't win in two seconds, they just give up half the time. They know deep down that despite their hard talk, they really have never won a fight in their life.

you could probably chop him down pretty qucikly with thai kciks to the thigh, but it won't help you proove much about your BJJ.

good answere
rnc and guillotine could be easy to get on him, i think

if you knee bar, ankle lock or heel hook he probably wont tap so you might hurt him instead, and then he misses work and cant feed his family and then he may take revenge or so forth.

definetly play a top game, he may give you a pillow choke also.
as for triangles if it comes up, he will try to slam you, so hook his leg with your arm to prevent it.

have fun

DirectDrive said:
I'd say you need to keep it up and pepper him with what you can in strikes. when he is starting ot gas then work the takedown angle. his size is going ot be a problem so the slower you can get him the better.

One of my planned strategies is to stay outside and use some hard leg kicks to slow down what little bit of speed he has. If he does manage to close the distance, I plan to clinch and take him to Knee and Elbow City.

I'd like to stay off the ground until I'm pretty sure he's gassed enough to the point where I could out-maneuver him. I'm pretty he'll give me his back easily. I don't think I'll initiate a takedown, but wait to capitalize on his (hopefully) failed shoot. All I know is that I don't want that fat tub-o-lard on top of me.

make shure to post pics this sounds like some real funny shit is going to happen

Sorry possenti, but I laughed my ass off when I read your post. I thought it was going to be about some 20 year olds going at it after class one night or something. But a 37 year old and 30 year old fat boy going at it because of lunchroom bickering is hilarious.

Be careful. I've found myself in similar situations (despite the shit I was just dishing out), and some of those fat boys who wrestled "a little" can fool you. Good luck, have someone video it.

Like I said, this may not even happen if he declines but he'll be humiliated so badly that he doesn't run his mouth anymore. There's many other co-workers waiting for his acceptance - or rejection - of my offer, and they're a ruthless bunch that will ridicule him if he backs out. I really hope his pride gets the best of him and this thing happens.

If it goes down, I promise many pics (win or lose), and perhaps even video. The company we work for is very tight-knit like family, and there would be a good turnout for the challenge. I should have an answer before Monday.

Have fun! I think your strategy of leg kicks and circling is a good one. If he shoots, sprawl, take the back, and take out the bacon.

Bubble Boy said:
Sorry possenti, but I laughed my ass off when I read your post. I thought it was going to be about some 20 year olds going at it after class one night or something. But a 37 year old and 30 year old fat boy going at it because of lunchroom bickering is hilarious.

Be careful. I've found myself in similar situations (despite the shit I was just dishing out), and some of those fat boys who wrestled "a little" can fool you. Good luck, have someone video it.

Yeah, it is pretty funny (I'm 36, BTW :mad: ). I was laughing/smiling when I made the offer to him, as well as the co-workers who were listening in - although they all knew I was 100% serious. I'm a very humble quiet person, and I never brag about my current training in BJJ and boxing.

He's not an aggressive bully type, just an arrogant know-it-all. I've seen him wrestle around with his cousin (our potential referee) after-hours, and he got owned pretty badly. I've sub wrestled with the same guy on several occassions and tapped him each time (standing guillotine, armbar from mount, kimura from side).

I'm keeping this as good-natured as possible, but still determined to prove my point. I've already talked to my wife about this, and she's cool with it. My daughter's a TKD black belt, and she's looking forward to it. I think the only thing that would stop it is if the other guy's old lady forbids it...

I'll keep you guys updated. If it goes down, I'll let you know when.

Make sure someone takes a photo of your win/loss for an OWNED!!!1! jpg.

ROFL this thread rules. I can't wait to hear the results.

Best thing to do is to go out and shoot in for a takedown right away just watch for his knee. DO IT.

LCDforMe said:
ROFL this thread rules. I can't wait to hear the results.

Best thing to do is to go out and shoot in for a takedown right away just watch for his knee. DO IT.

If he shoots with his head to the outside he'll be fine. Ankle picks are also good.

Back