So, I want to buy a Bike this summer. (Motorcycle)

I will look further into other possibilities as to why my bike doesn't handle imperfect road conditions as well as my friends bikes. Perhaps my suspension system needs upgraded or something.
You could always pickup one of those 250lb heffers from your local biker bar and see if it handles better. If she's got big enough tits it would solve your backrest issue as well.

You could always pickup one of those 250lb heffers from your local biker bar and see if it handles better. If she's got big enough tits it would solve your backrest issue as well.
LMAO.

Unfortunately, the only biker chicks where we hang out at are all 10'z & sizzling hot model types.

star_wars_speeder___biker_babe_by_ghosthornet-dbsql0a.jpg

Man, my buddies and I regularly trade bikes on our rides to get a different feel.

A straight up sport bike with an aggressive forward leaning seating position would not be ideal for long riding. They are hardly comfortable for a ride around the block.

The seating position of the sport-tourers is much more natural than people used to cruisers expect. I find when I sit at my computer desk I bring my feet up under me slightly and the seating position on those bikes is a lot like that. Honestly, I have found my Bandit 1250 to be much more comfortable than any of the bikes I've had with mid-forward controls. The Honda Valkyrie I owned is basically a naked Gold Wing, and it can't hold a candle to the Bandit in terms of comfort over long distances.

I highly recommend you try something like a Yamaha FJ-09, Suzuki Bandit 1250, Yamaha FJR-1300, Honda CBF 1000. You might be surprised. Like I said in an earlier post, I will never go back to a cruiser as my main bike.
So something like this is what you're talking about.

110614-2014-sport-touring-final-BMW-R1200RT-lead.jpg

I'd at least want pegs out front somewhere in case I wanted to stretch my legz out.

I may be too far gone to teach this old dog some new tricks but these might be good advice for TS to try out. This is probably a decent debate as well to help TS make his decisionz.

I'm pretty comfortable in my forward control style & I feel confident in my ability to control the machine. Conversely, at the computer... if I'm going to be at the computer for any length of time... I'll pull out a tv tray off to the side with a pillow on it & prop my feet up. not even joking... I'm sitting like that now. :D So kicking my feet up while riding makes sense since that's my preferred position of comfort.

Last edited:
There are 2 kinds of riders: Those that have been down and those that are going down.

I dropped it a few times, so be expecting that too!

While this is good advice in order to make you aware of the possibility & keep you sharp on your ride... Do not buy into the definitive voodoo statements these good intentioned people are projecting on to you. There are plenty of people who have never dropped their bike. I'm one of them. knock on wood.

Oh, I'm 6'0" 240lbs btw.
You'll just have to sit on them to be sure... but I'm 6' 4" 220 lbs... & road a Harley Sportster 900cc & it felt like a toy underneith me. It was my dad's bike that I inherited when he passed away... & he was 6'0" 190 lbs... & he even looked way too tall for it. It was a low rider... so maybe if you want one of those sport-tourers that @ShadBo was talking about will sit higher, but it's still just a little tiny bike compared to big fellaz like we are. Just something to think about, but I like having some girth under me.
(in before "that's what she said" :p)

So something like this is what you're talking about.

110614-2014-sport-touring-final-BMW-R1200RT-lead.jpg

I'd at least want pegs out front somewhere in case I wanted to stretch my legz out.

I may be too far gone to teach this old dog some new tricks but these might be good advice for TS to try out. This is probably a decent debate as well to help TS make his decisionz.

I'm pretty comfortable in my forward control style & I feel confident in my ability to control the machine. Conversely, at the computer... if I'm going to be at the computer for any length of time... I'll pull out a tv tray off to the side with a pillow on it & prop my feet up. not even joking... I'm sitting like that now. :D So kicking my feet up while riding makes sense since that's my preferred position of comfort.

Yes, that's a touring bike with a proper riding position unlike your favored self pleasuring position.
You can't imagine any bikes that aren't sport bikes that put you in the proper riding position yet that's what all touring bikes do.
I'll ride 300+/- miles of dirt, gravel, and trails in a day end get home feeling great because my bike doesn't beat me up sitting on my ass. And I barely have to grip the bars often riding with just my left or right hand on pavement.
What style of bike is involved in the most deadly accidents would you guess cruiser or touring?

Yes, that's a touring bike with a proper riding position unlike your favored self pleasuring position.
You can't imagine any bikes that aren't sport bikes that put you in the proper riding position yet that's what all touring bikes do.
I'll ride 300+/- miles of dirt, gravel, and trails in a day end get home feeling great because my bike doesn't beat me up sitting on my ass. And I barely have to grip the bars often riding with just my left or right hand on pavement.
What style of bike is involved in the most deadly accidents would you guess cruiser or touring?
Well that's an interesting question as to what style of bike gets into more wrecks but we'd also need to supplement the study with a percentage of the bikes that go on long runs & all other sort of activity. All the people I know that really do a lot of riding have forward controls like me. I know a lot of people who ride & I honestly can't think of a single person who has their controls in the position you're describing.

I'm assuming that you talking about doing 300 miles of dirt, gravel & trails... that you also do highway time? I mean if you're mostly doing that, then yeah, get the pegs under the seat that gives you that maximum control... but if we're talking about riding regular highwayz... then maybe that's not necessary.

If nothing else, I'd hope our little convo here has lightened your strict pov a little bit at least. I mean when you first replied to me, you made it seem like everyone who didn't have your kind of bike was doomed. That's not the case man. I get you like it... but you don't gotta be so hard on people who don't vibe with your preference. It's good to know what you said about control, but not everyone needs to stand up on their bike... for example.

You called "forward controls" a horrible position to ride in. No it's not a horrible position. It's horrible for you.... but in general a hell of a lot of people... dare I say the majority of long range riders... prefer that position.

In Russian cities sportbikes have such a huge lead one watching the statistics can even forget there are other types of bikes. Those fuckers belong on the track.
Touring are nice and have a lot less shitheads riding them.

I’ve risen a lot but never owned a bike. Really hoping to get one soon too

Either doing a 05-06 636 ninja or a used Ducati 848

While this is good advice in order to make you aware of the possibility & keep you sharp on your ride... Do not buy into the definitive voodoo statements these good intentioned people are projecting on to you. There are plenty of people who have never dropped their bike. I'm one of them. knock on wood.

Keep knocking.

Plenty of people, eh?

I've been riding since 1994. I haven't met anyone who has been riding for more than 10 years who hasn't dumped.

My first was a low speed 15mph when someone took a right out in front of me. My ankle is still wonky. Ain't nothing you can do about it sometimes. Sometimes you don't get a vote in the matter.

Keep knocking.

Plenty of people, eh?

I've been riding since 1994. I haven't met anyone who has been riding for more than 10 years who hasn't dumped.

My first was a low speed 15mph when someone took a right out in front of me. My ankle is still wonky. Ain't nothing you can do about it sometimes. Sometimes you don't get a vote in the matter.
I didn't comment on the probability... I just said that it's not a given that everyone takes a dump.

I’ve risen a lot but never owned a bike. Really hoping to get one soon too

Either doing a 05-06 636 ninja or a used Ducati 848

Good starter bikes. Statistics say that those are going to be the safest bikes for the kind of riders who buy them. Life insurance and will up to date?

This will be my first Bike.

Main thing I want

1. Confort
I want to be able to do long bike ride (7-10 hrs)
2. Love the racer look, but I don't need / want a powerful bike.
3. $ Less than 7k-ish
(my car is a 2013', might change sooner than later)

a friend suggested this model
Yamaha Fazer 800 (12'-13')
View attachment 562943
View attachment 562945
Those are actually pretty cheap ^

any of you tried it?
or any other suggestion?

Let us know when you sell it. Someone on here might want to buy it. Or let us know when you've been run over by a car.

This will be my first Bike.

Main thing I want

1. Confort
I want to be able to do long bike ride (7-10 hrs)
2. Love the racer look, but I don't need / want a powerful bike.
3. $ Less than 7k-ish
(my car is a 2013', might change sooner than later)

a friend suggested this model
Yamaha Fazer 800 (12'-13')
View attachment 562943
View attachment 562945
Those are actually pretty cheap ^

any of you tried it?
or any other suggestion?

Bandit9

In Russian cities sportbikes have such a huge lead one watching the statistics can even forget there are other types of bikes. Those fuckers belong on the track.
Touring are nice and have a lot less shitheads riding them.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess there are very few cruiser bikes in Russia and Harley's being very few.

Keep knocking.

Plenty of people, eh?

I've been riding since I was a child starting out on a minibike then an Indian 50, RM 80, RM 125, and on.
Riding dirt get offs are expected, riding street legal bikes I've never been down.
You just happen to know shitty riders.

Well that's an interesting question as to what style of bike gets into more wrecks but we'd also need to supplement the study with a percentage of the bikes that go on long runs & all other sort of activity. All the people I know that really do a lot of riding have forward controls like me. I know a lot of people who ride & I honestly can't think of a single person who has their controls in the position you're describing.

I'm assuming that you talking about doing 300 miles of dirt, gravel & trails... that you also do highway time? I mean if you're mostly doing that, then yeah, get the pegs under the seat that gives you that maximum control... but if we're talking about riding regular highwayz... then maybe that's not necessary.

If nothing else, I'd hope our little convo here has lightened your strict pov a little bit at least. I mean when you first replied to me, you made it seem like everyone who didn't have your kind of bike was doomed. That's not the case man. I get you like it... but you don't gotta be so hard on people who don't vibe with your preference. It's good to know what you said about control, but not everyone needs to stand up on their bike... for example.

You called "forward controls" a horrible position to ride in. No it's not a horrible position. It's horrible for you.... but in general a hell of a lot of people... dare I say the majority of long range riders... prefer that position.

A huge percentage of riders in North America just don't know any better. They think a Road King is the epitome of a comfortable long haul bike.

When I bought the Bandit (actual bike)

bandit.jpg

I had my Dad pick it up for me and keep it in his garage for a few days until I could get down to the DMV to get it transferred into my name and get it insured. He has commercial insurance so he is insured on anything he drives, and before I had a chance to ride it once, he had 150kms on it and was looking for something like it for himself. This is a man who had been into English bikes in his youth and into Harleys as an adult. He had owned literally multiple dozens of motorcycles over the years, all of them sitting the rider in various degrees of the clamshell.

He got a Kawasaki ZZR 1100 (this is a google image)

175835026_Q11.jpg

which is a sport-tourer (very light on the tourer) that was designed for long distances at high speeds. Both of us had this mini-epiphany about the riding position and the overall superiority of these types of machines to the classic cruisers we had been riding for all these years. I've been riding a bike since I was 21 (36 now), and my Dad since he was in 9th grade (he's 65 now). For the first few weeks after every ride every the conversation was about how smooth and comfortable the ride was and how these bikes had so much usable power. We blown away every time we rode until we got used to it. Then he bought a Street Glide, and when I rode it, I had the biggest disappointment in my motorcycling career(hobby...?) It was hot, had zero power, shook the crazy, and just was not that comfortable. There was just no comparison.

It would have been difficult to convince me of this before I experienced it myself. Clamshell is absolutely fine, and I will definitely have that style of bike again, but you won't see me putting in 600km days on one again anytime soon.

Few pics of my bikes
vtx1800.jpg

vstar.jpg

vtx18002.jpg

hertiagevtx.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back