So does anyone on the boxing forums actually think Toney can pull this fight off?

Couture winning means nothing. Hilarity will ensue if Toney drops his ass.

My brother saw a recent interview with Randy Couture says he is planning on going immediately for the take down and ending the fight there.

It still doesn't mean Toney can't pull off the upset of course.

Impossible to tell. He havent seen any footage of him training and theres no mma fights he had for us to compare.

I hope he wins though

How good is Toney footwork? was he a mobile fighter? or a static, "bob & weave" one?

I just wish this fight was never set.

I'm not an mma fan (used to be, but just not my cup of joe no mo) but he didn't deserve this fight.
This would never happen in the boxing. All the trash talking in the world would never allow Silva to land a pro boxing match against Jones - no place in their right mind would sanction it and for good reason.

I'm all for an mma fighter to make the transition to boxing.... I'd be cheering them on and hoping for the best. Same with a boxer to mma.

The UFC should, of all places, be able to respect the work that mma practitioners put into their craft. No green cards given because of the merit of one's mouth.
It wasn't that long ago that the UFC (and it's in-line fans) would mock Pride for freakshow match ups. You'd regularly hear "Pride sets mma back years", "Pride is entertainment, UFC is sport".

Couture's an established vet and future mma HOFer.
Let Toney say whatever he'd like to, just tell him to get in line and earn his spot.

I've said it before, but if mma in general and the UFC in particular what the respect for this sport.... then have some self-respect and don't jump simply because a guy has a loud mouth.

James Toney is an established boxer with multiple championships in mulitiple weight classes and over 65 victories over some of the best.

If rumor is true, and Toney is taking his training seriously he can very well win this...and easily with one shot.

I just wish this fight was never set.

I'm not an mma fan (used to be, but just not my cup of joe no mo) but he didn't deserve this fight.
This would never happen in the boxing. All the trash talking in the world would never allow Silva to land a pro boxing match against Jones - no place in their right mind would sanction it and for good reason.

I'm all for an mma fighter to make the transition to boxing.... I'd be cheering them on and hoping for the best. Same with a boxer to mma.

The UFC should, of all places, be able to respect the work that mma practitioners put into their craft. No green cards given because of the merit of one's mouth.
It wasn't that long ago that the UFC (and it's in-line fans) would mock Pride for freakshow match ups. You'd regularly hear "Pride sets mma back years", "Pride is entertainment, UFC is sport".

Couture's an established vet and future mma HOFer.
Let Toney say whatever he'd like to, just tell him to get in line and earn his spot.

I've said it before, but if mma in general and the UFC in particular what the respect for this sport.... then have some self-respect and don't jump simply because a guy has a loud mouth.

I like your posts Paul, and you seem a knowledgeable boxing fan but i disagree here.

MMA started like a colission of styles to ascertain which ones where more suitable in a cage under minimum rules. And while the new generations train a mix of specific techniques already proven - what we could call "mma fighting style" - i believe any top martial artist, whetever the style, has "de facto" a right to enter the cage. Toney is/was a top martial artist (boxing).

As for the "earning the spot" im not an expert in boxing but i think there have been instances of old, washed up legends earning a tittle shot in boxing (Hollyfield, Foreman et alia) just out of prestige - and sometimes they even won. I respect your opinion but dont see anything wrong with this match. They found him a suitable opponent - its not like they squared him against Bones Or Shogun - and he has a chance to win. It may be small one , like 1 to 5, but thats a gamble any warrior spirit would blindly take on any given day if victory means sending shocking waves all over the world, any given day...

I personally don't think he can! I think if Toney lasts past the 1st round than this would be a great victory for boxing!

What's your guys thoughts?

Toney defeating/lasting with Couture would be a victory for boxing the way Tiger Woods defeating/lasting against Andre Agasi in a tennis match would be a victory for Golf. They are two different sports with similar play-mechanics (I wanted to use baseball and cricket, but I figured no one watches cricket).

Can he win? Sure. But none of us have seen him fight in an MMA bout, so it's hard to speculate one way or the other.

I respect your opinion but dont see anything wrong with this match.

Hi wang xiangzhai.

You make good points.

I see what you're saying about Holyfield & Foreman; there definitely has been some dubious matchmaking in the past. But I don't know of recent examples in which you'd take something like a fight with Shannon Briggs against let's say a Gilbert Yvel in a boxing match.
I just can't think of a reputable sanctioning body allowing that to happen.

But still, you're post has made me think about it some more.

As a boxing fan - I really don't know what I'd think of if someone like Wayne McCullough were to have a sanctioned pro boxing match with a Nick Diaz. However silly that sounds.... the match up would bother me and make me think of it like a freak show attraction.

Thanks for your thoughts on it though.

Toney defeating/lasting with Couture would be a victory for boxing the way Tiger Woods defeating/lasting against Andre Agasi in a tennis match would be a victory for Golf. They are two different sports with similar play-mechanics (I wanted to use baseball and cricket, but I figured no one watches cricket).

Can he win? Sure. But none of us have seen him fight in an MMA bout, so it's hard to speculate one way or the other.

I like the analogy.
I feel the way Kyle does.... the two sport are that: two distinct sports.

I like the analogy.

That they are very different can be determined out of the rules alone: different rules, different game...

yet as boxing - or to be more precise, some parts of it - are one of the more widely martial arts used in "mixed martial arts" a more sound comparison would be: can a top tenis player win a match using his drive alone, or even better, can a top tennis player win a match using only "serve & volley" - as in "footwork & punch"?

Curiosly enough this was almost the very same choice by the old "street oriented" chinese martial arts, as it was considered - after deep reflection on the ever changing enviroment and the usual involvement of multiple players that "footwork, striking and pushing" should be enough to win any fight - as thats one of the reasons people like Liddell would be always in the heart of the fans, cuz his way will always look as the most elegant way to win. To see, for instance, a superstar like Jose Aldo avoiding - in a tittle fight - any TD attempts by a dynamic wrestler like Faber just by "footowork and pushing" alone will always have a special feeling, a cleanliness, a purity about it - not that i dont like the ground game, on the contrary, but as a traditionalist the stand up game will always have my greatest respect - as a much closer reflection of "fighting reality"...

I see there are mixed feelings in the boxing room, but to me a Toneys victory will mean great fun & satisfaction, cuz "thats how it should be done"

Last edited:
I like the analogy.

lol wtf? Boxing and MMA are a lot closer than tennis and golf wtf??

Terrell Owens can score on old NBA players so I guess football > basketball?? :rolleyes:

As a side note the promos are pretty funny UFC VS BOXING lol

And what's up with your sig, that's like something you'd find on a 13 year old girls AIM profile in 1999

And what's up with your sig, that's like something you'd find on a 13 year old girls AIM profile in 1999

Why thanks, LetUrHandsGo.

Since you asked....
my mom died in 2003 from a brain aneurism.
She was raped by her cousin when I was young.... he threatened her that she would never see my sister and I again if she ever told anyone.... he would park his car close to the bus stop that would pick us up in the morning to get his point across to her.... she had a nervous breakdown and started drinking heavily.... she developed many illnesses because of her alcoholism.... was finally able to kick the habit but the toll it took on her body was too great. She died and I wasn't able to have a mom stand up at my wedding.
I started listening to "Dead Man Walking" by Bruce Springsteen because I felt some comfort from it.... I took some of the lyrics that felt relevant to what I was going through at the time.

Last edited:
Anything can happen, Randy past his prime 10 yrs ago.

Why thanks, LetUrHandsGo.

Since you asked....
my mom died in 2003 from a brain aneurism.
She was raped by her cousin when I was young.... he threatened her that she would never see my sister and I again if she ever told anyone.... he would park his car close to the bus stop that would pick us up in the morning to get his point across to her.... she had a nervous breakdown and started drinking heavily.... she developed many illnesses because of her alcoholism.... was finally able to kick the habit but the toll it took on her body was too great. She died and I wasn't able to have a mom stand up at my wedding.
I started listening to "Dead Man Walking" by Bruce Springsteen because I felt some comfort from it.... I took some of the lyrics that felt relevant to what I was going through at the time.

:eek:

I really don't care too much for this fight. I know well enough that neither a MMA fighter or boxer and stroll into opposite sports and be successful.

That said, Dana White being stupid enough and having the audacity to use this fight as promote his sport and downgrade on boxing... I wouldn't mind seeing Toney end up pulling a double leg and GNP Randy. If that happens, I would die laughing. Dana did this to spite... We know his intention.

And for the last fucking time, Randy isn't going to double leg fucking Toney. Toney doesn't shoot at people. Hasn't done it in years and he's a fucking Greco Roman wrestler. Not fucking Brock Lesnar.

I really don't care too much for this fight. I know well enough that neither a MMA fighter or boxer and stroll into opposite sports and be successful.

That said, Dana White being stupid enough and having the audacity to use this fight as promote his sport and downgrade on boxing... I wouldn't mind seeing Toney end up pulling a double leg and GNP Randy. If that happens, I would die laughing. Dana did this to spite... We know his intention.

And for the last fucking time, Randy isn't going to double leg fucking Toney. Toney doesn't shoot at people. Hasn't done it in years and he's a fucking Greco Roman wrestler. Not fucking Brock Lesnar.

Toney is a greco roman wrestler too? i thought he was just a boxer. this should be an awesome fight then

Toney can win, but whether he does or not, we'll have to see. I think if Toney lands clean once he wins the fight, and the fights starts upright, this fight will be determined by how quick Randy can get the fight to the ground.

Big respect to the MC for his post btw.

Back