So does anyone on the boxing forums actually think Toney can pull this fight off?

Randy was goofy enough to try going toe to toe with Liddell, so him doing the same with Toney wouldn't shock me.

I've never reallly liked Toney, but I'm pulling for him here. If he wins, his post fight interview will be great.

Couture winning means nothing. Hilarity will ensue if Toney drops his ass.

This. I'm hoping it happens just to hear what Toney has to say afterwards haha. Imagine the post-fight presser after a James Toney KO victory. Dana probably won't even show up......lol.

Randy won't be able to help himself and will try
to 'dirty' box with Toney. Which will be interesting
to say the least.

He's going to have to go in and try and knock out Randy. No decision. He has 1 maybe 2 rds at best. After that, he's going to be too tired, get taken down and owned.

Of course he can win.
Reference the thousands of fighters "who got caught" in a fight they were supposed to win.Im not saying he will,but anything can happen under mma rules.
Likely Randy wins in a boring fight.

I like your posts Paul, and you seem a knowledgeable boxing fan but i disagree here.

MMA started like a colission of styles to ascertain which ones where more suitable in a cage under minimum rules. And while the new generations train a mix of specific techniques already proven - what we could call "mma fighting style" - i believe any top martial artist, whetever the style, has "de facto" a right to enter the cage. Toney is/was a top martial artist (boxing).

As for the "earning the spot" im not an expert in boxing but i think there have been instances of old, washed up legends earning a tittle shot in boxing (Hollyfield, Foreman et alia) just out of prestige - and sometimes they even won. I respect your opinion but dont see anything wrong with this match. They found him a suitable opponent - its not like they squared him against Bones Or Shogun - and he has a chance to win. It may be small one , like 1 to 5, but thats a gamble any warrior spirit would blindly take on any given day if victory means sending shocking waves all over the world, any given day...

Paul’s one of my favorite posters here too as well as an e-friend of mine, and I understand the validity of what he’s putting across in his prior post, but I agree with you on this.

I’m not so sure that success in MMA amongst strictly MMA fighters is ever going to be the only road to a headline show.
The reason being, quite simply, is that this is about fighting, so any adjacent skills or accomplishments are qualifiers for entering the top level, and none are as well qualifying as success in the larger, older, more globally widespread world of No-grapple/No kicking MMA….Boxing, where just as in MMA you can bring any style you like so long as you don’t break the rules.

Gone are the days, after just 16+ years mind you, where MMA talk included “Clint Eastwood vs. Charles Bronson”, but this is still a sport where 8 fights can qualify you as the top contender (Velasquez), and a 2 and 1 record gets you a title shot against a future hall of famer (Couture had never lost his UFC title in the cage when Lesnar, fresh off a quick-tap loss to Mir and a beating of used up Herring in his final fight, got a shot at him without ever having won against a ranked fighter in MMA).

Tony’s done a lot more to deserve his fight against Randy that Brock ever did, a very good (but not great) amateue wrestling career notwithstanding.

Sure, MMA isn’t Boxing, but it’s as close to it as it is amateur wrestling, for sure.
You can have a real “fight” without any grappling but you can’t have a real “fight” without any punching, and since the best way to make money and gain fame punching remains in Boxing, and MMA is all about “real fights”, it stands to reason that any boxer who was ever ranked in the top 10 has earned a shot at the top in MMA, more so than any commensurately pedigreed kicker or grappler.

……even if his his more than a decade past it, as Ray Mercer pointed out fast.

And of course, if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best, and while MMA loves to advertise itself as the “ultimate” in combat sports, their efforts to beat the boxers have thus far proven disastrous for them.

Toney defeating/lasting with Couture would be a victory for boxing the way Tiger Woods defeating/lasting against Andre Agasi in a tennis match would be a victory for Golf. They are two different sports with similar play-mechanics (I wanted to use baseball and cricket, but I figured no one watches cricket).

Can he win? Sure. But none of us have seen him fight in an MMA bout, so it's hard to speculate one way or the other.

There is a closer kinship with Boxing and MMA.

Since UFC I the selling of MMA has been as a “replacement” for Boxing, which had long established itself (for centuries) the world over as the agreed upon formal way to hold a prizefight in spite of the parallel existence of non-pro grade Wrestling, Judo, Karate and all the components that play out in Mixed martial Arts, or theoretically could play out under the broader rules there (Mostly MMA turns out to be boxing, submission grappling and a few simple kicks).

Woods is not making a living playing Tennis with expanded rules, and Andre did not master a revised version of Golf.

Mercer and Sylvia and Toney and Couture are all professional fighters; one group uses grappling and kicking and the other does not, but both are vying to be regarded as the best professional fighters in the world.

These are precisely the same sport, simply presented with different parameters as to what’s clean and what’s dirty fighting.

So far, the dirty fighters have been shown up as grossly inferior, and it took just 9 seconds to make all the “multi-dimensional fighter” know-it-all’s look like complete assholes who live in a fantasy buddle.
The UFC has invested here hoping to even up the score because that’s not good for a business trying to sell superman to kids.

Once Toney batters Captain America into submission in about 40 seconds, the UFC will have the larger and younger Nogueira, Mir, Carwin, Dos Santos, Velasquez and Brock waiting in the wings to even the score through the multi-fight contract they have with James, and the rainmakers there will be manning the ticket booth 24/7 with a smile as big as all outdoors, ready to take your money in exchange for finding out what it takes to beat a middle aged pug in MMA rules, like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

Of course he can win.
Reference the thousands of fighters "who got caught" in a fight they were supposed to win.Im not saying he will,but anything can happen under mma rules.
Likely Randy wins in a boring fight.

Nice new Av.

Randy won't be able to help himself and will try
to 'dirty' box with Toney. Which will be interesting
to say the least.

It’s funny, I’ve been around this sport before anybody had the balls to even call it a sport, I know pretty much all there is to know, and I still can’t get with the term “Dirty Boxing”.

Sloppy Boxing; I know what that is, but ‘dirty boxing” to me would have to mean hitting in the groin or jabbing the eyes with a finger extended, wouldn’t it?

Is that what Randy does? I haven’t seen him do that yet.

Or…is “Dirty Boxing” just a nonsense phrase employed to pretend that something new and better was invented, because what boxing is, is hitting a guy in vulnerable spots above the waist without getting hit back in return, and saving your legs for balance, positioning and mobility, which you largely give up if you use them instead to kick.

Boxing is not a style of fighting, it’s a rules set where best practice has resulted in what you see, pretty much where MMA is heading, and just like boxing, MMA has canyons of room for a guy who’s weak in many areas but stronger than everyone else in just one or two……..Like Toney.

Dirty boxing….Bullshito.

From what I understand "dirty boxing" is holding your opponent behind the head with one arm while hitting him with the other, about the dumbest possible strategy you could have if you're fighting James fuckin' Toney.

The best historical analogue of MMA and boxing I can think of is the Iron Man Triathlon and cycling. In 1978, the Mid-Pacific Road Runners and the Waikiki Swim Club of Hawaii decided to settle the long standing debate about who is more fit, runners or swimmers? The original idea was to have both compete in the Waikiki rough water swim and the Honolulu marathon to see who was in fact best.

However, a recent Sports Illustrated article however showed that cyclists had the highest VO2 Max of any athlete. So they also decided to include the Around-Oahu Bike Race and make it a triathlon. However, none of the people involved in the Iron Man had done the bike race, so they not only erroneously merged that two-day, 112 mile bike race into one but also combined it with a 26.2 mile marathon and 2.4 mile open water swim.

The early leader boards were littered with swimmers, eliciting the joke 'Ironman is what lifeguards do when they don't want to get a real job'. It only took two years before professional endurance athletes decided to test their might. In 1980, former All-American water polo star Dave Scott took the title; in 1981, three time Olympic cyclist John Howard captured the crown; and in 1982, distance runner Scott Tinley was victorious.

Before long, the argument between swimmers, runners, and cyclists died down as it was realized that it was impossible to be champion without being very good at all three. This was until world class cyclist Normann Stadler won in 2004 and 2006. His strategy was to be so much farther ahead of the field at the end of the cycling portion that he could cruise his way to the finish line during the marathon.

It doesn't take much to equate this with MMA, the sport designed to prove which style makes for the best fighters.

if randy becomes as arrogant and cocky as toney yeah,but thats not going to happen.

Yes, of course he can win. Who has a better "punchers chance" than a former pro boxer? If Chuck can KO Randy, Toney certainly has a shot. Like others have said, it might depend primarily on how serious he has been about developing a balanced skill set for MMA.

I don't think so. I think Randy will press him to the cage and get a trip takedown and GNP toney to a win.

I hope toney wins though.
If Randy even needs to push Toney against the cage to take him down I will never think so highly of his wrestling again.

I just watched the preview of UFC 118. Toney was as fat as I've ever seen him and they put subtitles on when he spoke. How can the UFC put this fight on and not think they're a complete joke? This shouldn't even be sanctioned.

How can the UFC put this fight on and not think they're a complete joke? This shouldn't even be sanctioned.

Their fans are stupid, and will buy anything with ufc on it.
Marc Ratner probably made some calls.

I just watched the preview of UFC 118. Toney was as fat as I've ever seen him and they put subtitles on when he spoke. How can the UFC put this fight on and not think they're a complete joke? This shouldn't even be sanctioned.

I personally think this fight is a huge joke and will not take seriously at all no matter who wins, but on the other hand I do like those circus fights sometimes.

Their fans are stupid, and will buy anything with ufc on it.
Marc Ratner probably made some calls.

Your absolutely right about the fans. Have you ever met some in real life? I have a few that go to my school. Its crazy mindless followers.

Back