So does anyone on the boxing forums actually think Toney can pull this fight off?

Graciebarra 847

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I personally don't think he can! I think if Toney lasts past the 1st round than this would be a great victory for boxing!

What's your guys thoughts?

Of course he can pull it off. He's an acurate and fairly hard puncher. I don't think it's likely he will, but he can.

And I don't consider it a win for boxing if he does pull it off. I consider it a win for James Toney and no one/thing else.

I think the post-fight interview will be hilarious.

I think he can easily knockout Randy, no disrespect to Randy, but he is getting old (as is Toney), and his chin is weathering.

This whole thing seems to be a bit of a shame IMO.

P.S. This should be a two part series. First they fight an MMA fight. Then a boxing match.

Needs to use movement to keep the distance and catch Randy as he's closing the distance for a shot/clinch.

Randy got dropped by Nog so Toney has more than enough power to put him to sleep.

toney has to finish the match in the first 30 seconds because once couture takes him down then its over.

Big Nog knocked Randy down. Of course Toney has a chance! But it's a long shot. Couture isn't stupid, he'll shoot right for a double.

I think he has a solid chance at getting the K.O. At this point in Randy's career what exactly does he prove by taking Toney down and getting an easy win? I have a gut feeling he'll try to Box with James for a bit to see how he matches up.

He always says he wants to test himself, I have a feeling he wants to test his boxing skills vs a real boxer, And I see a nasty KO coming from it.

This is obviously speculation, however. I can see if happening.

fight can go both ways

toney with k.o

couture with takedown via ground and pound tko stoppage

I think he has a solid chance at getting the K.O. At this point in Randy's career what exactly does he prove by taking Toney down and getting an easy win? I have a gut feeling he'll try to Box with James for a bit to see how he matches up.

He always says he wants to test himself, I have a feeling he wants to test his boxing skills vs a real boxer, And I see a nasty KO coming from it.

This is obviously speculation, however. I can see if happening.

Randy is a professional and he is acting as a representative of the sport. He's not going to stand with Toney if he can help it. Couture is not a fool. Truth be told, there's not anyone in MMA that could stand and box with Toney... certainly not a 47 year old wrestler.

Randy is a professional and he is acting as a representative of the sport. He's not going to stand with Toney if he can help it. Couture is not a fool. Truth be told, there's not anyone in MMA that could stand and box with Toney... certainly not a 47 year old wrestler.

Am I not wrong in that he constantly says he's looking to test himself? This is a huge test, Can he box a boxer? He has absolutely nothing to prove with an easy win, he's certainly not being a representative by taking down a boxer and beating him with ease because everyone is expecting that and an easy win. What is the better statement, Stand with him for a while then taking him down, Or go for the immediate double leg?

I say he's fool enough to try it.

My opinion of coarse.

Edit: YouTube - ‪Boxing Legend Freddie Roach: MMA Is Using James Toney!‬‎

I lol'd. "At a picnic, Kimbo can fight." Oh man.

Last edited:
James Toney can very well win. It is dependent on how much he has learned how quickly. It is unlikely but he can finish Couture with one shot. Couture won't be finishing him with one shot.

Toney is my favorite boxer since I know him, but I hope he loses. There are already too many people on here who know nothing about boxing saying any boxer can KO ant MMA fighter. Imagine what will happen when people start saying that YOUR favorite boxer could KO an MMA fighter just because of the glove difference.

Manny can KO Anderson
Mayweather can KO GSP
Chris Byrd would KO any MMA HW lol

I don't think so. I think Randy will press him to the cage and get a trip takedown and GNP toney to a win.

I hope toney wins though.

Toney has a good chance at winning this. Not that I would say it's 50/50 or anything, but a good chance, at least.

In my mind, these two factors play a key role.

The first is that Toney is taking this seriously. Or at least not just ignoring what he doesn't like. Despite his anti-grappling/wrestling comments and apparant disdain for MMA, he is training with a top camp. Can he make up for years of MMA and decades of wrestling experience in a few months? No, but every bit he learns can give him that extra few seconds of survival that could let him use the skills he already has.

The second is that we know Randy has aged. His ability to take a punch, while never great, has certainly gone down hill. Previously he was able to use his speed and control to avoid big shots, but he has slowed down. I know a lot of people expect Randy to just shoot a double at the first opening, but when was the last time we have even seen Randy go for an explosive takedown like that? Randy seems(ed) ageless because he fought with a style that didn't rely on a younger mans reflexes, for all we know, he might not even be able to shoot.

I'm hoping James catches him with a step back uppercut when he goes for the shot.

James is my 2nd favorite fight of all-time, I'm really hoping he doesn't get embarrassed if anything.

Nope, I think Couture subs him and Baldy declares that ufc is better than boxing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back