so amateur boxers like Conor and Cody lowkey take over their divisions with additional mma training

GGG also wrestled and if you gave him a year of MMA experience, he would tear the lightweight and featherweight division with ease. Pretty sure he would knock conor out as well
But er boxers er leg kicks something something dying sport cant check striking dont transfer to mma derp

The Parameters are just different. Just because someone is good at football doesn't mean they'll be good at Basketball. People have different builds and different things they excel at. Maybe somebody like Floyd Mayweather has phenomenal boxing skills but maybe his takedown defense would never get to the levels of say GSP. It's about combining the arts, not about one specific art. Even the fighters that are way ahead of their time in terms of one particular area of their skill set would get their ass handed to them if they didn't have a bit of the other disciplines under their belt.

Conversely maybe somebodies MMA Skills may be well rounded but naturally people that spend their life focusing on just one aspect on mma and then limiting a fighter who has been cross training and saying "okay you can't kick now" is going to give the advantage to the guy who has strictly been working on his head movement and hands.

Put some guy who has been training one specific element and throw them in with someone who can do it all and the rules favor them, guess who is going to win? Take someone who has been training multiple arts for 20 years versus a guy who has been training 20 years specifically on one art and you can only use that art, guess who is likely to win?

More often than not it's not hard to predict what would happen given those circumstances in anything. The same would apply to people who study different things. It's just common sense, I honestly don't even know why this is a topic people discuss.
This. And there have been other boxers that have came over and not been dominant. KJ Noons wasn't a phenom, not even close. And Holly Holm was a world champion boxer who's looked terrible in her last two fights. Boxing won't give you good leg kicks, takedown defense, submission offense, etc.

and we still doubting whether professional boxers can make the switch given enough financial incentives?

AYO

Yes because they haven't done it. Being a top long reigning MMA champ > journeymen professional boxer with zero fame making shit money. The ceiling for MMA isn't bad at all. Multiple champs have pulled in million+ purses. Are you telling me some 15th ranked cruiserweight is doing better financially than Bisping or Hendo? If it was that easy a shit load of journeymen or some gatekeeper boxers who would flood mma and would be dominating collecting PPV points.

i mean this should be obvious: boxing is by far the most useful striking art. mma fighters dont want to learn boxing because learning boxing is by far the most painful to learn.

how do u send 3k messages and get 4 likes lmao

I post like once a year these days and as was pointed out to you there was no "Like" feature back when I was a regular poster.

......... and quite frankly my little Millennial, if you think "Likes" on a website are important then you need to get laid (for free).

Although I admit it does look pretty funny, my like count, not your life.

Cody always had a good wrestling base. Hes not just an amatuer boxer.

Cody's uncle was an Olympic alternate in Wrestling as well....that wrestling pedigree can take you places :)

I mean you forget the martial arts that Cody/Conor both know/work on, that you know..... makes them mixed martial artists.....and you know helped them win a mixed martial arts title in the UFC.

I think amateur boxing makes a better base than guys who are club level proboxers without decent ammy backgrounds.

Do most of you guys forget when Conor, one of the best boxers in MMA had to resort to low kicks to beat a one dimensional striker?

and we still doubting whether professional boxers can make the switch given enough financial incentives?

AYO

Boxing is a completely different sport. For every boxer that succeeds in MMA (not many) countless others fail. Not to mention for any professional boxers to be successful, they basically have to not be a professional boxer, and have had gone into it in their amateur career instead.

You're probably never going to see world class boxing in MMA just for the fact, that devoting that much time to be that good at boxing requires you to ignore too many other faces of martial arts.

Champ with decent boxing = "Oh, boxers would takeover MMA."
Champ with wrestling = "Oh, boxers would get taken down easily and destroyed in mma."
Champ with herpes = "?"

Boxing and MMA striking are completely different. They're as comparable as Olympic sprinting and running on a basketball court. When you're striking in MMA, it's part of a larger game. You have to defend takedowns and deal with kicks etc. Do you think if McGregor stood there with a boxing stance, bobbing and weaving, he'd last 5 seconds? To go from boxing to MMA you have to completely deprogram yourself from what you've been taught since day one in the boxing gym.

I cant wait for this retarded narrative to die lol

kickboxing pedigree of mcgregor? do you know what pedigree even means? he has NO kickboxing pedigree at all rofl

he doesn't have a boxing pedigree either btw, he didn't even make it to bum level in boxing
And yet he won two belts with less than bum level boxing..smart.

I wonder if the UFC is keeping top notch wrestlers out of the big show these days? It's been awhile since there's been a good grapplefucking in a main event. Like they won't even sign Ben Askren.
Wait until Conor fights Khabib.

Back