so amateur boxers like Conor and Cody lowkey take over their divisions with additional mma training

skullmaskkid

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
and we still doubting whether professional boxers can make the switch given enough financial incentives?

AYO

It's not like any boxer can come over. But sure, having great boxing helps in mma. It's like Randy, a wrestler, winning and then saying well shit, Cael Sanderson is would destroy everyone he's way better than Randy! Well what if Cael doesn't like boxing or jujitsu. Well he might end up being one dimensional and not make it far. Same for boxers. They better put the hours in wrestling.

Someone asked Dan Gable about which wrestlers would be good fighters and he specifically mentioned some great wrestlers would be terrible fighters, while other wrestlers have the mindset to fight. It's up to the individual.

The Parameters are just different. Just because someone is good at football doesn't mean they'll be good at Basketball. People have different builds and different things they excel at. Maybe somebody like Floyd Mayweather has phenomenal boxing skills but maybe his takedown defense would never get to the levels of say GSP. It's about combining the arts, not about one specific art. Even the fighters that are way ahead of their time in terms of one particular area of their skill set would get their ass handed to them if they didn't have a bit of the other disciplines under their belt.

Conversely maybe somebodies MMA Skills may be well rounded but naturally people that spend their life focusing on just one aspect on mma and then limiting a fighter who has been cross training and saying "okay you can't kick now" is going to give the advantage to the guy who has strictly been working on his head movement and hands.

Put some guy who has been training one specific element and throw them in with someone who can do it all and the rules favor them, guess who is going to win? Take someone who has been training multiple arts for 20 years versus a guy who has been training 20 years specifically on one art and you can only use that art, guess who is likely to win?

More often than not it's not hard to predict what would happen given those circumstances in anything. The same would apply to people who study different things. It's just common sense, I honestly don't even know why this is a topic people discuss.

You seriously downplay the tdd Garbrandt showed and the kickboxing pedigree of Mcgregor.

Well ......... Boxers are the chosen people.

(Don't let my forum name make you think I'm biased)

Wasn't Cody a wrestler before a boxer?

I don't like Cody but he won that fight with boxing AND wrestling. Dom is usually able to mix in takedowns to throw off his opponents' rhythm but he could not do that with Cody's takedown defense.

Except there's a huge difference between boxing and boxing in MMA...Mc Gregor also kicks. Used powerful leg kicks to control the distance vs Diaz II, uses the teep efficiently, is improving his BJJ and can hold his own on the mat if its not against guys like Nate.

When Brock Lesnar won I though that we'd see pro wrestlers dominate MMA. Still waiting on CM Punk to prove the theory.

Cody wrestled before he ever boxed.....so you really mean wrestlers make great boxers who make great mma fighters.....right?

You seriously downplay the tdd Garbrandt showed and the kickboxing pedigree of Mcgregor.

Cody's wrestling base played a key role no doubt, looked solid.

But kickboxing? Nah, kickboxing is scrub tier. Conor's amateur boxing pedigree is what gets it done.

yes, just like amateur boxers like Lomachenko can take over Boxing divisions as well

kickboxing pedigree of mcgregor? do you know what pedigree even means? he has NO kickboxing pedigree at all rofl

he doesn't have a boxing pedigree either btw, he didn't even make it to bum level in boxing

Cody wrestled before he ever boxed.....so you really mean wrestlers make great boxers who make great mma fighters.....right?

He did both around the same time, but his accomplishments in both sports are about equal to each other. as he was a state champion wrestler and an amateur boxing champ. He actually ditched wrestling to peruse boxing.

From wiki...
Garbrandt was born and raised in Uhrichsville, Ohio, and began boxing at the age of 15, trained by his uncle, who was an Olympic alternate in the sport. At Claymont High School, Garbrandt competed in wrestling, winning a state championship in 2007 by pinning his opponent, and was a runner-up in 2008. Garbrandt was also a Senior National All-American in 2010, but ultimately turned his focus to boxing over wrestling.

Despite not competing in wrestling during his final two years of high school, Garbrandt received interest from several Division I schools, but for academic reasons, he briefly attended a Division II school, Newberry College. As an amateur boxer, Garbrandt compiled a 32-1 record

GGG also wrestled and if you gave him a year of MMA experience, he would tear the lightweight and featherweight division with ease. Pretty sure he would knock conor out as well

I wonder if the UFC is keeping top notch wrestlers out of the big show these days? It's been awhile since there's been a good grapplefucking in a main event. Like they won't even sign Ben Askren.

Back