smoking & fitness

since this thread is up here i'll just post my question. if a smoker can run a mile in 1 min. and a non smoker can run a mile in 1 min. does the smoker have more efficient muscles because his lungs don't work as well? is there anything that has a positive effect on the pulonary system when smoked? i know cigarettes are supposed to close your aerioles and marijuana is supposed to open them up but thats about it. and that arnold smoked before and after workouts a lot of the time..
 
Some smokers are in better shape than some non-smokers.
 
i know that a lot of smokers are skinnier, because smoking can cause people to not eat as much.
 
OpethDrums said:
since this thread is up here i'll just post my question. if a smoker can run a mile in 1 min. and a non smoker can run a mile in 1 min. does the smoker have more efficient muscles because his lungs don't work as well? is there anything that has a positive effect on the pulonary system when smoked? i know cigarettes are supposed to close your aerioles and marijuana is supposed to open them up but thats about it. and that arnold smoked before and after workouts a lot of the time..

wow, if anyone can run a mile in 1 min its safe to say their probly not human. 1min mile=60mph=100kmh
 
On a slightly off topic.

Carlos Monzon was a middleweight champion boxer who apparantly smoked 2 packs a day. I don't know how you can do that !
 
When I quit smoking pot, I could feel the difference in less than a week with how long it took me to get out of breath.

If you really need to smoke weed that bad look into vaporizers. Theyre expensive, but no smoke comes from it and youll still get high.
 
i guess he would , but his cardio max would b reduced becuz his lung size would b reduced due 2 damage from smokin. i dont think smokin anythin could have a positive effect except maybe pure oxygen , and u wouldnt 'smoke' that per say.
 
My brother is really skinny from smoking. He looks like he's in better shape than me because of that but I'm like an olympian next to him if we went for a run together.
 
OpethDrums said:
since this thread is up here i'll just post my question. if a smoker can run a mile in 1 min. and a non smoker can run a mile in 1 min. does the smoker have more efficient muscles because his lungs don't work as well? is there anything that has a positive effect on the pulonary system when smoked? i know cigarettes are supposed to close your aerioles and marijuana is supposed to open them up but thats about it. and that arnold smoked before and after workouts a lot of the time..






I didnt know that cigs made ones areolas close and weed would make areolas open. I'll have my chicks start smokin weed then. Im a fan of the big pepperonis! And from what i know about arnold smokin herb, i think it was after workouts supposedly. I dont think he was like a big pothead or anything. One of the things that cause muscle loss is stress. Mental and physical stress make the body release cortisol and that sh*ts function is that it grabs protein that was supposed to be used for general body growth and repair, but instead converts it into energy for the body to burn. This is why there are supplements out there now like Cortbloc or sumthin like that to slow down that process. There are also other suplements that have been out for many many years that block cortisol but they are illegal. You might of heard of them b4, theyre called steroids :D With some steroids, cortisol is blocked thru out the cycle and released all at once when coming off the cycle hence bad muscle loss. There ARE ways to control that crazy cortisol release when they come off juice. I know becuz ive been there done that. Another example of this muscle eating process is like when youve been at the gym too long, they say to not be there ideally more than like 45 mins. cuz then the body releases that crap. Not literally. I meant CORTISOL=CRAP. So from what i know, again supposedly, arnold would smoke a bowl or two after workouts for this reason. No stress = no cortisol. Ive known bodybuilders who would purposely block stuff out and not think about problems in order to not stress!
 
eh i meant alvioli.. where oxygian passes through 2 layers of squamis cells into the blood

alvioli-art.jpg


the diaphragm pulls the lung down and out causing the alvioli to open. the inner lining has a liquid that keeps the surfaces from sticking together, cigarette smokes i guess dries that liquid up or something. while marijuana has been shown to open them up. i have no source but i heard it from an anatomy teacher and can feel your decreased lung capacity when you smoke tobacco, while weed feels much different (thats what i heard)

very informative post tap tap
 
OpethDrums said:
eh i meant alvioli.. where oxygian passes through 2 layers of squamis cells into the blood

alvioli-art.jpg


the diaphragm pulls the lung down and out causing the alvioli to open. the inner lining has a liquid that keeps the surfaces from sticking together, cigarette smokes i guess dries that liquid up or something. while marijuana has been shown to open them up. i have no source but i heard it from an anatomy teacher and can feel your decreased lung capacity when you smoke tobacco, while weed feels much different (thats what i heard)

very informative post tap tap

Yeah but marajuana contains shit loads more tar which fills up and blocks your lungs decreasing oxygen uptake and then theres the carbon monoxide too.
 
but u dont smoke as much of it . u can smoke 20 cigarretes a day , but u wont smoke 10 joints unless u got some problems
 
I quit smoking 10 days ago, and my god what a change. I can breath again, it's great.

Also, my tastebuds are different, I can't stand alot of foods that I used to crave, which is also good.
 
UbetterTAPout said:
I quit smoking 10 days ago, and my god what a change. I can breath again, it's great.

Also, my tastebuds are different, I can't stand alot of foods that I used to crave, which is also good.

i quit 22 days ago. i started training more like a fighter than a weightlifter recently and it's safe to say i can finally run more than 2 miles without dying. doubt there are many smokers on this baord anyways, but there is no benefit from smoking.
 
tekmoney said:
i quit 22 days ago. i started training more like a fighter than a weightlifter recently and it's safe to say i can finally run more than 2 miles without dying. doubt there are many smokers on this baord anyways, but there is no benefit from smoking.

yes there is, looking like a hardass
 
Reakt said:
yes there is, looking like a hardass


I quit smoking ciggarettes about 3 months ago, and I could definetly notice an improvement.

However, I now need to quit smoking the other substance. I puked last time I trained I was so winded, and thats never happened to me.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
1,232,073
Messages
55,119,823
Members
174,622
Latest member
DrederickH8m
Back
Top