Small trucks are back

Let's just say, I bought gas and groceries in Assiniboia and that was still 100kms from where I lived.

I don't disagree about ground clearance; if the plough didn't already roll by after a big dump and snow drifts, you weren't going anywhere, but that was also the case for the lifted 1/2 tons on A/T tires.

But I'll still maintain that plenty of people got by with winter tire equipped cars if the highway was ploughed.

I live north of Calgary now, different winter problems because of the chinooks, which turn the place into one big skating rink. But again, having a truck doesn't magically solve that problem either.

What I often see are people who are convinced they "need" a truck, for the few of times they haul their toys or "because of winter". The truck doesn't fit in the garage, so the garage turns into storage while the truck stays parked on the driveway or curb with the block heater plugged in and there's still at least one other eco-beater for when filling up the truck gets too expensive.

I don't support the carbon tax, but I can see how "we" look ridiculous in the argument with some of the lifestyle decisions being made.
I get why you say that now. I had a buddy that lived down there in Assiniboia ( you probably knew him if you went there for more than fuela nd groceries) and down there you never got anything like the winters we get up here. It is a different world (kinda!) once you get north of Saskatoon, and especially up around my parts, you would understand why I say we need trucks up here.

I also lived in Alberta and worked all over Alberta, and I found the same thing. Granted the work I did was 95 percent offroad, but any time a rig pig would try to drive a car down a rural road and get stuck, it wouldnt be more than a few weeks and they would come back driving a pickup, and normally it was a half ton or larger. Not that small trucks dont have their place, but I have had everything from 1/4 tons up, and I would never go back down to a smaller than half ton truck. There is a reason why half tons or larger are so popular!

However, I do see what you mean when I go to pretty much any city. Lots of people driving half tons or larger around, that clearly don't need them. That could be said about the guys that drive anything though, sports cars, suvs, electric vehicles...

Im in Arizona right now, The number of old clean trucks around here is incredible…No heavy snow, no salt, tons from the 70’s and 80’s that look clean…
Phoenix is just rough on car tires.

Ranger sales by year:

Year
sold
2005 120,958
2006 92,420
2007 72,711
2008 65,872
2009 55,600
2010 55,364
2011 70,832
2012 23,848

S 10 Sales by year

2004 10.014
2003 136.573
2002 150.992
2001 162.181
2000 211.587
1999 233.669
1998 228.093
1997 192.314
1996 190.178
1995 207.193

I know we all claim all we want is a small pick up, but the sales figures from when they were actually available paint a different picture. Significant drops in sales as the years go on. Can't really blame the manufacturers for selling what we say we want with our wallets.

All the buzz words and phrases created during the pandemic era are to justify the governments, corporations, or organizations greed or agenda’s.
Yeah, I don’t know about all that. But I do know that the inflation seed was planted in people’s minds so they expected inflation, and corporations took advantage by price gouging.

I also know that the money that went to many employers for the payroll protection program, which was supposed to be paid to their employees so they could keep their jobs during the pandemic, was pocketed by employers and they fired those employees, which is why they now can’t meet current demand with their levels of productivity. Because they don’t want to hire anyone back. A new equilibrium has been reached. One with a shift to less supply and higher prices. That is good for companies, corporations, etc.

Ranger sales by year:

Year
sold
2005 120,958
2006 92,420
2007 72,711
2008 65,872
2009 55,600
2010 55,364
2011 70,832
2012 23,848

S 10 Sales by year

2004 10.014
2003 136.573
2002 150.992
2001 162.181
2000 211.587
1999 233.669
1998 228.093
1997 192.314
1996 190.178
1995 207.193

I know we all claim all we want is a small pick up, but the sales figures from when they were actually available paint a different picture. Significant drops in sales as the years go on. Can't really blame the manufacturers for selling what we say we want with our wallets.

Was that a function of sales or how many they built. I think they sold every one they made. I don't think they were scrapping any unsold vehicles. Of course those small trucks could only seat 2 or three people depending on the seats. Extended cabs and crew cabs shortened the box to the extent that they were no longer useful as trucks.

Those seem more midsize to me TS,I was thinking small trucks were like the old ranger ricks back in the day… basically upgraded golf carts….

92114091991405.jpg

Was that a function of sales or how many they built. I think they sold every one they made. I don't think they were scrapping any unsold vehicles. Of course those small trucks could only seat 2 or three people depending on the seats. Extended cabs and crew cabs shortened the box to the extent that they were no longer useful as trucks.

I believe it was what they could sell. Chevrolet had sales in the hundreds for the next year or two, indicating to me that they still had stock they needed to get rid of. But I'm not smart so I could be talking out my ass.

As far as small trucks being back , Nissan has never stopped making the Frontier , that's what I have , V6 4x4 crew cab , 6 foot bed , it's perfect for me
064156_2015_nissan_Frontier.jpg
Are frontiers reliable? I've always heard Nissan was the worst of the big Japanese auto makers and after driving my in laws versa, I believe it.

Good to see. American trucks are retarded for size

"But I need it to haul". I'm a Builder in Australia , you get roof racks, and a trailer if needed.

No need for your everyday driver to be some land barge tribute to manlets

Those seem more midsize to me TS,I was thinking small trucks were like the old ranger ricks back in the day… basically upgraded golf carts….

92114091991405.jpg
I think this look fire.

It’s good that they make the frames smaller, but they should make the beds larger.

Small beds are fucking annoying, they’re only half more useful than a trunk but half as useful as a long bed.

I like Toyotas not Fords but I saw this truck with an extra-long bed and got jealous:
View attachment 962606
d327dea7-85ec-4dea-bb05-a6a93e45fc21-jpg.117527

They make Tundra's with 8ft beds

Are frontiers reliable? I've always heard Nissan was the worst of the big Japanese auto makers and after driving my in laws versa, I believe it.
Yes they are , I did my homework , it helps they've been making the frontier for thirty years

Thankfully I found a Tacoma with a longer bed than that tiny thing they have on the 4 door. Seems so useless to have a small bed. A guy in my neighborhood has one of those 90s Toyota T100s with the long bed, seems real nice for hauling things.

I’ve seen 2 of those around my area recently, only knew about them because of Bubbles’ truck. They are so much smaller in real life than I expected.
I have a 6ft bed on my 2017 double cab TRD, I didn't know you could get a longer bed on a Taco?

Yes they are , I did my homework , it helps they've been making the frontier for thirty years
I know 3 people that owned Nissan trucks and they were all lemons, One Frontier and two Titans.

I also know a few people who've owned pathfinders and those were pretty dope.

I fail to see the point of these trucks, because the bed is too small for typical American truck work.

Back