Sleep Aids/Dreaming

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by eneyman86**, Apr 7, 2008.

1. eneyman86**

eneyman86** Purple Belt

Hi all, i've searched through a few of the threads in the past about sleep aids and such but wanted to create a new one which combines various supplements and what the benefits are of them all. Anyways, I want to get better, deeper sleep in which I dream more and want to know which supplements I should use. I have heard melatonin, valerian, ZMA, and GABA. What I want is actually a powerful effect that I guess puts me out cold after working out or a hard day but does not leave me messed up in the morning when I wake up. I have tried Tylenol PM these past 2 nights and have had great sleep and a crazy dream where I was killing cylons in battlestar galactica, but I woke up all lethargic and groggy. What are the differences between ZMA and GABA and which is better, also which should I get between melatonin or valerian (or both?) Any tips would be great, thanks all!

2. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

I take GABA & ZMA & so far I'm pretty impressed with the results. My sleep time is limited due to my crazy work schedule, but I seem to get a lot more QUALITY sleep now. I take a scoop (roughly 5 gms) of GABA & the recommended serving of ZMA (3 pills with the brand I have.) I wasn't too impressed with melatonin in the past, and never tried Valerian. Good luck

3. Vice

Vice Yellow Belt

I too have badass dreams when doing any type of drowsy cold medication. And I too generally do not wake up the greatest if not timed properly.

Never tried any real sleep aide...

4. eneyman86**

eneyman86** Purple Belt

Hey, have you noticed any changes in dreams or having more dreams when in these supplements? Also, is GABA safe and something that I should take if I don't life weights?

5. Jake Martin

Jake Martin Amateur Fighter

Sweet, I want to have BSG dreams. Preferably me, number six, and a change in sheets in the morning...

6. Zero_Sen

Zero_Sen Shodan

I'm a bona fide insomniac.

I've tried valerian in the past, and I didn't notice any benefit to my sleep. There is a mild relaxation effect, but nothing to write home to the sandman about. Plus valerian smells kind of like stinky feet. Even in caplet form.

With melatonin alone, I've noticed nothing. But when I stack it with other sleep aids, it seems to get the job done. Definitely increases the quality and "depth" of sleep.

I haven't tried GABA yet, but I hear really good things and I'm going to look into it.

I actually haven't heard much about ZMA as a sleep aid per se ... more of a testosterone-boosting supplement that you take before bed. But if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate a link.

7. Jake Martin

Jake Martin Amateur Fighter

I've no links, but I'm told the magnesium is what actually causes the muscle relaxation and 'sleepy' effects.

I'm interested in GABA, but for now I'm going to partake in some of this actual 'sleep' stuff we're all so excited for.

8. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Black Belt

ZMA + GABA is my gold standard stack.

9. eneyman86**

eneyman86** Purple Belt

Mike, does the ZMA+GABA relax you a little or put you out cold?

10. Lubaolong

Lubaolong Guest

I think I'll try some of that. I'm going on 89 hours right now. :eek: Crazy, huh?

11. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Black Belt

That's out of control, shit. Why?!?!

12. WRoutson

WRoutson Purple Belt Professional Fighter

i took a prescription sleep aid called elefil or elevil or something like that.i had a really hard time falling asleep after some personal shit,and eventually i evened out and was able to fall asleep normally again.didn't have any dependency issues either.

13. black koala

black koala Purple Belt

Melatonin is the only substance that I take at night to help me sleep. It really puts me in a deep sleep and allows me to have very long dreams. The pills are not expensive at all and you wake up feeling great. Seriosly you have to try them and post about your dreams. The only time I remember having dreams is when i take them.

14. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Black Belt

It doesn't "put you out cold"; the Mg in the ZMA is a natural muscle relaxant, and the b6 (theoretically) causes increased serotonin/dopamine release, which enhances dreaming. Neither of these will put you to sleep instantly---they just help the sleep process along.

GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, so it's just potentiating these effects in a similar manner.

My issue is actually falling asleep in the first place; whether it's due to stress or the inability to unwind, I don't know. I'm not keen on working out after 7PM precisely for this fact.

I've tried pretty much EVERY type of sleep aid under the sun, and I also had a small short term prescription for zopiclone (Imovane) at one point; a regular dose of ZMA and 750mg GABA has had the most efficacy with the least amount of side effects, for me.

15. eneyman86**

eneyman86** Purple Belt

awesome replies you guys, has anybody tried Phenibut? I am reading alot of things about it and people recommend it..

16. Lubaolong

Lubaolong Guest

I don't really know. I've had trouble sleeping sometimes for the last couple years now. Friday night, I stayed up talking to someone on MSN until about 11 AM Saturday. Then I couldn't fall asleep, so I just stayed awake with plans of sleeping Saturday night. But for some reason, I was just really wired and couldn't sleep, so I decided to catch up on some stuff for school and my business. Then last night I actually did sleep for about 1.5 hours, but a phone call woke me up. I feel a little jacked up, but I don't feel like I could sleep if I lied down right now. I'm going to take about 8 Benadryl tabs in a bit.

17. TX911

TX911 Guest

elavil (amitriptilyne) is a TCA (tricyclic antidepressant.) Sounds more like he was more addressing the issue of the anxiety and emotional effects that were disturbing your sleep cycle rather than just prescribing you a sleep aid like alot of docs do in the form of benzos like temazepam, estazolam, alprazolam, triazolam, etc which can all be habit forming.

18. Yep.

Yep. Black Belt

I take a 5mg melatonin pill before I go to bed and 30 minutes later I'm sleeping like a fuckin' baby.

19. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

That small of a dose helps? I read this on the True Protein forum and figured 3-5gm was the recommended dosage.
    Can't post the link as I clicked on it and you have to be registered with them to access.

EDIT: Here's the link to the page I found that on though.
    http://serv01.siteground174.com/~trueprot/showthread.php?t=1157

20. TKMaxx715

TKMaxx715 saggy pants

would sleep aids help if im getting enough sleep but am tired all day? Im hoping im just not getting quality sleep or something...

PS: my diet isnt the greatest but its a helluva lot better than most i know as i do cut out a lot