"Slacktivism" and "Je Suis Charlie"

Nobody, least of all the Parisians on the demos, were claiming that what they were doing would prevent future acts. What they were doing was showing unity and support. They were telling each other that normal French people don't accept these Islamic ideas, that they support the right to offend and that they are there for each other. They were also showing Islamists that they are not going to be beaten by terror.

I don't see anything wrong with any of that and I don't see what else they could do at that point in time. Going around burning mosques might be more active but hardly useful.

Nobody, least of all the Parisians on the demos, were claiming that what they were doing would prevent future acts. What they were doing was showing unity and support. They were telling each other that normal French people don't accept these Islamic ideas, that they support the right to offend and that they are there for each other. They were also showing Islamists that they are not going to be beaten by terror.

I don't see anything wrong with any of that and I don't see what else they could do at that point in time. Going around burning mosques might be more active but hardly useful.

Save...

"Talk is cheap". Do something.

Given these acts of unity were organised on the day of the attack, what would you have organised instead?

It's safe but it's the correct thing to do regardless.

The terrorists want to shut everyone up and pussyfoot around their sensibilities. Showing them it's not gonna work is a good idea.

I thought they were taking a risk by gathering in public to honour the most recent victims of islam in Europe.

Not only would such a gathering make an ideal target for muslims, but thuggish, leftist, autocrats as well.

The slogan "Je Suis Charlie" (we are Charlie) has become something of a rallying call for the masses, both in person and on twitter, to show solidarity with the cartoonists and others murdered by the Jihadis. But in spite of how it might make the people feel to contribute in some way to the war against murderous Islamic terrorists, isn't it all mere vanity?

"Slacktivism" would usually by one of those stupid neologisms that are made up in order to sound cool, but it really seems quite apt here. The whole "Je Suis Charlie" nonsense lets people feel as if they are influencing world events, while all the time being cowards who contribute nothing, least of all the most obvious way to fight against them: publicizing the cartoons.

It is a "safe" way to protest without actually supporting the murdered, fighting the murderers, or endangering oneself in anyway. Moreover, it completely misses the point. Islam is far more dangerous than simply murdering a few cartoonists, as the Islamists have eyes upon a Europe-wide (and American) jihad whereby they systematically impose their way of life upon us.

So I ask you: Is there really any value whatsoever in silly "pencil" cartoons, placards, hashtags, and other half measures?

Or should they be doing this:

muhammad2.jpg

Like I am doing?

You said Americans who move out of the US should be executed as traitors, so who cares what you think? You're just another attention-craving career troll.

I thought they were taking a risk by gathering in public to honour the most recent victims of islam in Europe...

No they're cowards, didn't you read the OP? It's cowardly to support the victims of the terrorists any way you can. TS said so.

"Talk is cheap". Do something.
Do what? Cheap is better than nothing, and nothing seems to be the most likely alternative action. What was your action? Nothing? Posting about it on an obscure fighting forum?

It doesn't protect against future attacks, but it surely shows that the attacks don't discourage people from speaking their mind.

That said, I suspect the goal of such actions might be to drive a wedge between the the general European populace and moderate Muslims more than to silence a particular magazine.

I really don't see how publicly proclaiming one's continued belief in free speech will prevent another lethal attack against it. And another, and another, and another. The muslims can just keep shooting caricature artists until there's none left in the country.
We'll support free speech, but we won't protect it.
It's not proclaiming belief in free speech, it's exercising it. I'm pretty certain Europe will run out of extremist gunmen much faster than it will run out of caricature artists, journalists, authors, public speakers, bloggers and the like. If quelling people's expression is the goal, the success of such attacks is predicated on scaring people from speaking up in the future. The fact that neither the press nor the public is running scared (and with good reason) has a significant value in itself.

If that actually is the goal, that is.

Exactly.

What's worse: It'll come not from law, but by fear of reprisal, that we'll silence free speech. Because our governments are as cowardly as the slacktivists, we will end up conceding the entire point.

I'm not sure if it's cowardice on the part of the govt, or just good old-fashioned opportunistic pandering.

Fighting for free speech in Europe ..really?
What a joke.
They throw people in jail for doubting the Holocaust. Try wearing a nazi armband there and check out the blasphemy laws. Make fun of police? whoa, you might get a knock on the door.

I'm pretty certain Europe will run out of extremist gunmen much faster than it will run out of caricature artists, journalists, authors, public speakers, bloggers and the like.

I'm certain we won't. The number of muslim extremists, and the number of attacks, are currently growing, after all. They just gutted what was apparently one of France's largest satirical magazines. How many more magazines like that are there left now? How many artists, how many publishers?

If The fact that neither the press nor the public is running scared (and with good reason) has a significant value in itself.

If you think this attack won't lead to increased self-censorship, conscious or unconscious, you are incredibly naive. Nobody can remain unaffected when under constant threat of death. Newsrooms across France are holding meetings as we speak, discussing how they can be more "careful" in the future.

I really don't see how publicly proclaiming one's continued belief in free speech will prevent another lethal attack against it. And another, and another, and another. The muslims can just keep shooting caricature artists until there's none left in the country.
We'll support free speech, but we won't protect it.

What action would qualify as protection, in your eyes? This isn't creating new risk for laws changing to restrict free speech. I'm trying to separate the reactionary cynicism from a viable call for action.

We don't have free speech in Britain. You should cherish your first amedment because the same libs and leftists who created the Islamo multi-cult hell we have here have forbade any criticism of it beyond vague generalisation.

Fighting for free speech in Europe ..really?
What a joke.
They throw people in jail for doubting the Holocaust. Try wearing a nazi armband there and check out the blasphemy laws. Make fun of police? whoa, you might get a knock on the door.

This raises the question about which is more dangerous, the known threat of an extremist ideology calling itself a religion or the politicians who pander and enable?

We don't have free speech in Britain. You should cherish your first amedment because the same libs and leftists who created the Islamo multi-cult hell we have here have forbade any criticism of it beyond vague generalisation.

And Madison thought the bill of rights was redundant because he thought that a constitution that granted powers to the state would be sufficient to restrain the state from assuming unlimited powers. Lol.

It's essentially the modern form of praying however it does raise awareness. Steps need to be taken on the religion of peace, especially after the recent incidents in Australia and France. One step would be to imprison all returning jihadists for life rather than trying to get them jobs as the bleeding heart libs want to do. I'm sure they can even outsource their prisoners to the Russians in Siberia.

I'm certain we won't. The number of muslim extremists, and the number of attacks, are currently growing, after all. They just gutted what was apparently one of France's largest satirical magazines. How many more magazines like that are there left now? How many artists, how many publishers?

If you think this attack won't lead to increased self-censorship, conscious or unconscious, you are incredibly naive. Nobody can remain unaffected when under constant threat of death. Newsrooms across France are holding meetings as we speak, discussing how they can be more "careful" in the future.

Not only will there be concessions, but we all know that there will be absolutely no talk about limiting/banning immigration or continuing on the path to national suicide we currently are on in the West.

You said Americans who move out of the US should be executed as traitors, so who cares what you think? You're just another attention-craving career troll.

Oh look, it's the guy who just threatened someone in PM telling me my opinions don't matter.

Contributions to threads should be constructive. You should know that.

Also, quote me please. kthnxbai.

Do what? Cheap is better than nothing, and nothing seems to be the most likely alternative action. What was your action? Nothing? Posting about it on an obscure fighting forum?

It doesn't protect against future attacks, but it surely shows that the attacks don't discourage people from speaking their mind.

That said, I suspect the goal of such actions might be to drive a wedge between the the general European populace and moderate Muslims more than to silence a particular magazine.

You think the terrorists want Europeans to turn on moderate Moslems? That's...an interesting view. You think that if Europe turns on them, they will win then be able to stage a war, as it were?

Back