"Slacktivism" and "Je Suis Charlie"

Were the Occupy Wall Street or the groups that are protesting for change in police tactics slacktivists?

It seems that no matter what you do, such causes are just ridiculed and then the police come in and pepper spray everyone to clear them out.

Were the Occupy Wall Street or the groups that are protesting for change in police tactics slacktivists?

It seems that no matter what you do, such causes are just ridiculed and then the police come in and pepper spray everyone to clear them out.

No. I wouldn't say someone who sits in for 40 days is a slacktivist, even if he was an idiot.

OWS was spectacularly unsuccesful, but the people had heart.

I'd say most of the black protestors today are unlikely to cause any change because, well, we're not going to stop shooting black (and other coloured) criminals, and we're not going to over turn a legal decision because some people are mad.

What action would qualify as protection, in your eyes?

Keeping track of, and denying reentry into the country for all jihadists would be a start. Right now we're mostly guesstimating how many of our own (so-called) citizens are, or have been, fighting as non-regulars in Africa or the Middle East. If three veterans already on watchlists could cause this much damage in France, imagine what the hundreds of unaccounted for veterans can do.

Another would be to deny Saudi Arabian investments in mosque buildings across Europe.

By the way, who says you need laws restricting free speech, in order to restrict free speech? Right now the attitude in Europe is:
"You have a legal right to say and write what you want, but people may try to kill you for it, and we won't take any steps to guarantee your safety."

You don't think this makes people think twice before speaking their mind?

Last edited:
Keeping track of, and denying reentry into the country for all jihadists would be a start. Right now we're mostly guesstimating how many of our own (so-called) citizens are, or have been, fighting as non-regulars in Africa or the Middle East. If three veterans already on watchlists could cause this much damage in France, imagine what the hundreds of unaccounted for veterans can do.

Another would be to deny Saudi Arabian investments in mosque buildings across Europe.

By the way, who says you need laws restricting free speech, in order to restrict free speech? Right now the attitude in Europe is:
"You have a legal right to say and write what you want, but people may try to kill you for it, and we won't take any steps to guarantee your safety."

You don't think this makes people think twice before speaking their mind?

Seems like too broad a stroke, emphatically restricting practice of a specific religion. If these are citizens, charge them with specific acts of sedition or let them back in, or perhaps simply revoke citizenship for anyone who joins an unapproved foreign mercenary force. As it stands your idea of protection of free speech is to gut free practice of religion, which is equally important.

Beyond that, it's never been a societal or governmental imperative to protect individuals from the blowback related to their own public speech. I guess the Brits did something close to that with Rushdie, but the strength of French society here will be measured by how they react to this. If they restrict their own free speech, or cower before repeated consequence, they're French so nobody expects better from them, and maybe you'll have a point. But, if they simply do not use this as an opportunity for draconian restrictions to the practice of Islam, that's not taking any step to protect anything.

So what have you done about it besides take to the internet to bitch and moan?

#Hypocrite.

As a nationalist, I advocate for the the exact sort of change that will prevent this sort of thing in the future. Namely, that European countries (and all countries across the world) should be populated exclusively (as near as possible) by native born and not immigrants, especially immigrants from countries with populaces with hostile belief systems.

I am not suggesting some sort of street-level revolution or any sort of violent uprising, although those would be "doing something". I am suggesting that making a hashtag and doing nothing that will change anything politically is a bad idea.

Hell, I think it'd be good to start massive publishing of things that piss them off, for one. Like what I did do in the OP.

893720-247c9638-9709-11e4-b123-a468d5bc6e39.jpg

I experienced slacktivism today when a middle aged woman with a 'Je Suis Charlie' sticker on her front window offered me an aggressive, sneering glare lasting at least a minute for parking my company's truck in front of her house. I blew her a kiss and trotted off.

Hell, I think it'd be good to start massive publishing of things that piss them off, for one. Like what I did do in the OP.

More courage would have been shown had you done it with your real, already established account.

Funny how some drawings become premonitory, like this one, days before gun attack :

1420643281.jpg

"Still no attack in France"

"Wait,
We still have until the end of January to present our wishes."

i don't understand how slacktivism is a problem in this situation. where it is a problem, is among charities, where those that are high profile or get a meme or viral following completely drown out smaller charities that do amazing and valuable work but cannot compete for recognition

sorry, edit

Oh look, it's the guy who just threatened someone in PM...

Yeah now I'm gonna have to ask you WTF you're talking about. You shouldn't start the lying with me again. You're almost a teenager now, you need to start acting like one.

So should the French copy what the US did after 9/11 and 'bravely' bomb the shit out of a country that had nothing to do with the attacks? That worked out well..

For all these people calling others cowards, what would you do?

je suis charlie is ok. this tragedy had only just happened, the people were raw and emotional for god's sake!
i personally don't know what they were feeling like after this happened, i don't see the point in having a go at the people. they did it because thats what they felt was appropriate at that time.

Beyond that, it's never been a societal or governmental imperative to protect individuals from the blowback related to their own public speech.
It's govt's job to protect its people from a foreign military that would like to impose it's political will on them.

It may be arguable how we should categorize islamic terrorists in relation to such things, but the simple answer to such an argument is that we have a new rule for a new problem.

So should the French copy what the US did after 9/11 and 'bravely' bomb the shit out of a country that had nothing to do with the attacks? That worked out well..

For all these people calling others cowards, what would you do?

Reports are that the women accomplice is in Syria. Time to bomb Assad for supporting the Charlie Hebdo jihadis.

I dont think people gathering in solidarity or whatever after an event like this is cowardly nor heroic. I think it is useless really and more just so people can say they were a part of something as they drink $8 coffees with their friends a few weeks later.

I personally cringe a little when I see things like this, it isnt drawing awareness to anything, the gunmen drew all the awareness needed to the matter.

Instead of holding up pencils and jumping on hashtag trends, people should be jumping on their elected officials, you know those guys who are paid to combat and prevent these things.

Yeah now I'm gonna have to ask you WTF you're talking about. You shouldn't start the lying with me again. You're almost a teenager now, you need to start acting like one.

We'll all pretend that we don't know why you got dubs.

Bai, babe. Ignore list.

Back