"Slacktivism" and "Je Suis Charlie"

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by AlucardNatasrd, Jan 8, 2015.

1. AlucardNatasrd

AlucardNatasrd Blue Belt

The slogan "Je Suis Charlie" (we are Charlie) has become something of a rallying call for the masses, both in person and on twitter, to show solidarity with the cartoonists and others murdered by the Jihadis. But in spite of how it might make the people feel to contribute in some way to the war against murderous Islamic terrorists, isn't it all mere vanity?

"Slacktivism" would usually by one of those stupid neologisms that are made up in order to sound cool, but it really seems quite apt here. The whole "Je Suis Charlie" nonsense lets people feel as if they are influencing world events, while all the time being cowards who contribute nothing, least of all the most obvious way to fight against them: publicizing the cartoons.

It is a "safe" way to protest without actually supporting the murdered, fighting the murderers, or endangering oneself in anyway. Moreover, it completely misses the point. Islam is far more dangerous than simply murdering a few cartoonists, as the Islamists have eyes upon a Europe-wide (and American) jihad whereby they systematically impose their way of life upon us.

So I ask you: Is there really any value whatsoever in silly "pencil" cartoons, placards, hashtags, and other half measures?

Or should they be doing this:

[​IMG]

Like I am doing?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. MicroBrew

MicroBrew Steel Belt

It (Je suis Charlie) may seem banal but I think publicly supporting Free Speech and the victims sends out a strong message that needs to be sent.

Many cartoonists have said through their drawings they will not be cowed , but they haven't actually criticized Islam or called out Muhammed.

So I also agree that much more needs to be done than simply saying "Je suis Charlie" ; the media , political and public figures should do a call out of Muhammed and the hate preached by Islam.

3. AlucardNatasrd

AlucardNatasrd Blue Belt

It is good to support free speech, but it is cowardly to not support the free speech in a meaningful way that can produce actual change, or which, God forbid, might offend someone!

4. Like A Bas

Like A Bas Brown Belt

Solidarity is positive, but a stronger free speech message is more appropriate.

Though I really like the cartoon of the pencils as the twin towers.

This is good as well

[​IMG]

(Sharia Weekly- 100 lashes if you don't die of laughter)

5. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
    Most people aren't creative or intelligent enough to contribute anything of value anyway so these hashtags and slogans have their place in building a sense of solidarity and uniting the general public against the "enemy" imo. Its simply morale building.

6. AlucardNatasrd

AlucardNatasrd Blue Belt

LOL. Good one. Thanks for posting.

Slacktivism just has such a remarkable lack of actual influence in the world. Remember the #BringBackOurGirls campaign? Yeah, how did -that- work?

7. Like A Bas

Like A Bas Brown Belt

Slacktivism also barely existed until recently- and didn't happen hardly anywhere but colleges. I think there is a value in a mass-raising of social conscience, even if that value feels comparable to getting 8 bucks in the mail from some class action lawsuit. The effects are hard to predict since we're in the middle of it.

8. AlucardNatasrd

AlucardNatasrd Blue Belt

"Slacktivism" is a new word for an old trend:

Performing a token action to feel as if one is contributing, while doing virtually nothing at all.

It's like wearing a poppy on what used to be called Armistice day. It means nothing, and yet people feel they are doing something meaningful by contributing.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Red Belt

You guys did it now. Thread will be deleted as the servers that host this don't want to be destroyed.

10. Like A Bas

Like A Bas Brown Belt

Have I been giving slacktivists too much credit? I see an unshaven and skinny young man meekly hi-fiving his obese friend with the curly hair, before throwing their own fliers in the garbage can on their way back to smoke a bowl. Those guys must sound like Rosa Parks to the youngins of today.

11. AlucardNatasrd

AlucardNatasrd Blue Belt

Ha ha ha ha.

This was brilliant. Great response.

Seriously: This made me laugh RL. Good job.

12. Like A Bas

Like A Bas Brown Belt

Je Suis Dracul

13. AlucardNatasrd

AlucardNatasrd Blue Belt

I am putting that in my fucking sig.

14. Irenaeus

Irenaeus Black Belt

When commenting on an attack out to silence free speech in particular, I think speaking freely actually has some importance, even if just done on facebook from your couch.

In most other situations, maybe not so much.

15. Halge

Halge Silver Belt

I really don't see how publicly proclaiming one's continued belief in free speech will prevent another lethal attack against it. And another, and another, and another. The muslims can just keep shooting caricature artists until there's none left in the country.
    We'll support free speech, but we won't protect it.

16. AlucardNatasrd

AlucardNatasrd Blue Belt

Exactly.

What's worse: It'll come not from law, but by fear of reprisal, that we'll silence free speech. Because our governments are as cowardly as the slacktivists, we will end up conceding the entire point.

17. NelmarksGhost

NelmarksGhost Brown Belt

I haven't seen those since I sold them as a kid. At least with the poppies they were donating money to veterans groups. More than turning your facebook green to "support iranian progressives" or whatever the hell that was supposed to achieve.

18. JungleKungFu

JungleKungFu Bullwinkle Belt

I've been a faptivist for quite some time.

19. AlucardNatasrd

AlucardNatasrd Blue Belt

Yes. The poppies at least went to actually help veterans. Although I wonder how much money actually reached them.

20. Nebi

Nebi Крым наш!

Free speech is a human right, got to fight to keep it if we have to.